Noob race fuel question-Road Atlanta

steve211

So I'm heading to RA with my first track only bike. It's an ex-MOTO SP series SV1000 dyno tuned with Sunoco 260GTX 98 oct. I understand RA sells VP C9 96 oct.
Anyone know if the VP C9 would be an okay substitute if I can't locate the 260gtx?

Thanks! Steven

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Contact Huey at Marietta Motorsports with this question. He sells VP fuels so he knows their products. He also does our SE trackside support.
So he can bring the fuel you need if necessary. Good guy too.

steve211

Thanks I'll send him a message! Not going to be able to have the PC3 dyno tuned for pump gas before RA and I don't want to risk any problems.

dsmitty37

Interesting because I was there for WERA GNF in October and the pumps still say Sunoco and had 3-4 octane levels

steve211

Interesting because I was there for WERA GNF in October and the pumps still say Sunoco and had 3-4 octane levels

I called the track and the girl (Chelsey?) told me it was VP fuel so I was just going on that. She did say there were 3 octane levels with the C9 being the only unleaded.

steve211

Thanks again! I probably will go with the 5 gal jugs for ease of use...plus I'm 155lbs soaking wet. Ha
Hoping to have it retuned for pump gas before the next event. Engine is totally stock, but I know it was tuned with 260gtx because that was the required fuel for MOTO SP.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
I was a little concerned about cost for fuel as well when I got my R6 and it needed 100 Octane..and actually in the grand scheme of things, the extra fuel costs are not that big of a deal. I spent about $40/day on race gas last year. Which isn't REALLY all that much more than premium pump gas was last year. I'd have spent about $25/day on pump gas at last year's prices.

And a point to consider, race gas has no ethanol. So in your higher performance motor, it may actually be a better way to go for long term.