Novice / First Time Track Day Etiquette Questions

MainLineCoffee

Hello,

If this is pinned somewhere in another post please forgive my redundant questions.

I attended PITT last weekend on 4/20 and had an amazing time. I showed up on my own, reserved a massive paddock space by the pit row that I did not need. I only came with my truck and rented trailer, but it was nice to have the space.

I noticed that almost everyone there was with a partner or a team. If others were doing their first track day alone, let me know how it was for you, The control riders explained things well, I felt comfortable that I was informed. Jack took the three of us who had never been on a track before, as a group to show us how to watch for the flags and enter pit row in a safe manner. It was like a security blanket to follow him around the race line. I struggled to keep up, but he was very good about keeping a pace where we could see him. We did two sessions like this. After that, I headed to the far right of the lineup and took the laps on my own.

The guidance was clear, the rider passing you has to pass safe, but it still caused me a great deal of anxiety when another rider would suddenly show up in my peripheral as I prepared myself to drop into the next turn. No one passed me in a turn, but I began to feel like I was getting in the way. I started to doubt that I was hitting the race line properly and annoying the faster riders trying to pass me. Sometimes it felt like my rear tire was sliding in a turn, so I would slow and ended up going too wide through some turns.

(I know I was not nearly going fast enough for my tires to slip, but I may have been under inflated, would that cause me to feel like I was slipping?)

Now to the questions:

- I have seen many posts that say, ride your limits. I did, I will, but is there anything I should know about how to ride my limits when I am slow and the field is going to lap me at least once or twice during a session to not frustrate other riders?

- Is it possible to have riders that are first time on the track or say, less than 5 track days wearing a shirt to indicate we are completely new and trying to figure this out? So, those that are moving up in experience can run wide on us and hopefully we cause less frustration for more experienced riders?

- When I felt uncomfortable with my line, I went to the hot pit, slowed down, took a breath and headed back out. That helped a lot, but eventually what seemed like a bike twice my displacement would come in fast on me and I would get the sense that I was blocking people running my slow line. Would it be better to stop in the hot pit for 30 seconds or so? Is there a technique for finding a big gap on the tract to jump into from the pit?

- We talked about it during lunch, but it would have been nice to have the body position discussion in the pre-track meeting in the morning. I was dragging my toes as I was in my street riding position. I thought this meant I was getting into the turns correctly, but it meant my seat and foot position on the bike was incorrect and it could risk a crash if I continued. I watched several videos on track days, but no one ever discussed foot position that I recall.

Final question:

- Would N2TD be able to setup a pairing concept for new riders showing up solo? Or maybe a new thread on the forum to connect novice first-timers? I really think I would have had more confidence if I paired up with someone and we could take time to follow each other and give and get feedback on how we felt. Maybe this has a thread already as well, I'll search. I'd be willing to volunteer and facilitate this if it would help on the track days.

I will be at Summit on 5/20 and 6/3. If there are any novice first timers running solo or novice riders looking to ride with a novice first timer, let me know.

Thank you to all of the control riders at PITT. I had an amazing first time track day and as you can see, I'm ready to start burning my disposable income on a rather expensive hobby. Looking forward to 5/20!

The B Team

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- I have seen many posts that say, ride your limits. I did, I will, but is there anything I should know about how to ride my limits when I am slow and the field is going to lap me at least once or twice during a session to not frustrate other riders?
The best thing you can do to not frustrate other riders is to stay on the race line and ride your ride. Be predictable, and be where you are supposed to be such that others can pass when safe and within the rules. Things that are counterintuitive are riding off line, not twisting the throttle at the straight, and/or looking over your shoulder to see who is behind you. If you are truly in the way (you're not,) a CR will come along, move you temporarily offline, and then work with you accordingly.

- Is it possible to have riders that are first time on the track or say, less than 5 track days wearing a shirt to indicate we are completely new and trying to figure this out? So, those that are moving up in experience can run wide on us and hopefully we cause less frustration for more experienced riders?
Truly not necessary. Novice is meant for this. As soon as people start to get fast, they get bumped. If you want a special shirt, sign up for ATP and they'll put you in a bright yellow vest.

- When I felt uncomfortable with my line, I went to the hot pit, slowed down, took a breath and headed back out. That helped a lot, but eventually what seemed like a bike twice my displacement would come in fast on me and I would get the sense that I was blocking people running my slow line. Would it be better to stop in the hot pit for 30 seconds or so? Is there a technique for finding a big gap on the tract to jump into from the pit?
The curse of the small bikes is that you will shred in the corners just to get passed on the straight. You did exactly what you should...if you want clear track, pull in, tell the marshall what you're looking for, and he'll get you sorted. Good on you for taking a break when you are uncomfortable!

- We talked about it during lunch, but it would have been nice to have the body position discussion in the pre-track meeting in the morning. I was dragging my toes as I was in my street riding position. I thought this meant I was getting into the turns correctly, but it meant my seat and foot position on the bike was incorrect and it could risk a crash if I continued. I watched several videos on track days, but no one ever discussed foot position that I recall.
Find @Lenny ZX9R, he does a great on-bike BP demo, or any of the CRs really can put you on a bike on the stands and put your body in the correct position.

Final question:

- Would N2TD be able to setup a pairing concept for new riders showing up solo? Or maybe a new thread on the forum to connect novice first-timers? I really think I would have had more confidence if I paired up with someone and we could take time to follow each other and give and get feedback on how we felt. Maybe this has a thread already as well, I'll search. I'd be willing to volunteer and facilitate this if it would help on the track days.
Sounds like you're the guy! Set it up! Also, can't remember if I'm reg'd for the 20th and I'm not novice, but always happy to be a resource at the track. If you ever need tools, advice, or someone to bounce ideas around, pop by the Gummy Shark tent. You'll likely find that any of the CRs and a lot of other members feel the same.
Thank you to all of the control riders at PITT. I had an amazing first time track day and as you can see, I'm ready to start burning my disposable income on a rather expensive hobby. Looking forward to 5/20!
Welcome to the addiction!

-b

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It's imperative you focus on you and only you when on track for two main reasons:

1) It's the responsibility of the passing rider to make the clean pass.
2) It's important that YOU are as consistent as you can be so that others can plan their pass accordingly. If you try to "help" a perceived passing rider (you don't know if they're going to actually pass, nor do you know if there's anyone there, because you should NOT be looking around), you're going to actually become more unpredictable.

All of us were slow at one point, don't sweat it. This hobby is all about comparing you vs you, and nothing to do with comparing yourself to another riders capability.

jonobrin

Sorry I should have stopped over and said hello at Pitt. It looked like you had a decent group around you and I was dealing with some bike issues.

One recommendation I would give as a new rider is reading "A Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code. There is a wealth of information about handling "survival reactions" on the track. As a nervous newcomer, fixing things like chopping throttle or being too tight on your handlebars will make a world of a difference. Try to be as smooth and relaxed as possible.

MainLineCoffee

It's imperative you focus on you and only you when on track for two main reasons:

1) It's the responsibility of the passing rider to make the clean pass.
2) It's important that YOU are as consistent as you can be so that others can plan their pass accordingly. If you try to "help" a perceived passing rider (you don't know if they're going to actually pass, nor do you know if there's anyone there, because you should NOT be looking around), you're going to actually become more unpredictable.

All of us were slow at one point, don't sweat it. This hobby is all about comparing you vs you, and nothing to do with comparing yourself to another riders capability.
Thanks for the feedback. I was very aware not to look back. It was hard at first as I am so used to checking my mirror and looking back on the street to check my blind spot. It's such a different process, on the street I'm invisible, so I have to see as much as I can. On the track, just be consistent and be where I should be. I'm assuming I was doing ok there, no one called me out for being erratic and a CR or two checked on me and tried to get me to follow, really appreciate the level of safety. It made it really fun to learn.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Hi Ray, I remember you from the first day at Pitt. You did fine during those first sessions. This sport is mostly mental and getting your focus properly adjusted goes a long way towards having fun and improving. You're on the very steep part of the learning curve so maintain that good perspective, be open to positive advice and most important....have fun!

I've ridden novice on 300cc machines and 200+ hp bikes. Here is my non-coach take.
1. Ride your line. You being all over the place is a serious problem for the passer.
2. If you are passed, remember it's not a race, do not repass in the straight. Let them go. This IMO is the single biggest etiquette issue that most track day organizations fail to make a firm and enforced rule. This is the thing that will most likely get you a less than friendly pit visit from another rider. The phrase you will hear referring to this is "pass in the straight and park it in the corner". It's easy to deal with this during a race, however, diving in under braking and taking the line is not appropriate behavior for a track day, especially in novice or intermediate.
3. Remember that it is very easy to pass a slower rider. The passing gets more difficult as riders are more evenly matched. In novice, it starts getting dicey when the rider in front starts racing the rider behind him. Often times the rider in back starts frustrating and making more aggressive moves. Don't be that guy. Staying on your line and a little less throttle out of the corner gives and easy pass on the straight.
4. Never forget what's already been said, this is not a race. Each rider is out there just trying to enjoy their day at their pace. Any action you take interfering with that is poor form.