Number of riders?

DethWshBkr

Hello!
How many riders are typically able to enter each class? I'm signed up for Summit Main May 3rd, novice. How many riders typically are entered in each class?
My brother is tempted to come along and try the Intro, if room is available. If its' good, I'm sure he'd signup for the full day then.

Thank you!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Each track has different limits on the number of riders per class, Pitt race almost always sells out 1 to 2 weeks before the event, summit is a close second. Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee a spot is to register and if you have the Elite membership you can cancel any day including the morning of without penalty.

DethWshBkr

So if the novice class is full, is an intro still offered? Or must there be space in the novice class to accommodate intro riders for the two sessions?

I am already registered, this is just to see if my brother would have the opportunity.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
So if the novice class is full, is an intro still offered? Or must there be space in the novice class to accommodate intro riders for the two sessions?

I am already registered, this is just to see if my brother would have the opportunity.

If novice group is over 1/2 full then no more new intro riders can be signed up in intro. The sooner you sign up for any day - the better! :)

DethWshBkr

If novice group is over 1/2 full then no more new intro riders can be signed up in intro. The sooner you sign up for any day - the better! :)
I'm trying to convince him to just sign up in novice class. I think he's leaning that way. Bike needs a few things (tires, rear rotor, such and so forth) and he's hoping it would "handle" a day of higher speed riding ('03 Honda VFR800 Interceptor). I told him it would be fine!

tdelegram

Control Rider
I'm trying to convince him to just sign up in novice class. I think he's leaning that way. Bike needs a few things (tires, rear rotor, such and so forth) and he's hoping it would "handle" a day of higher speed riding ('03 Honda VFR800 Interceptor). I told him it would be fine!
. As long as the tires are brakes1/2 worn or less, it's not leaking and body parts are not flapping he should be fine. Common mistake is drive chains are too tight 3 to 4 fingers is what we look for.

Jester

Yamahawkins
Control Rider
Director
I did my first track day on an 04 VFR800. It will be just fine!

bmart

Control Rider
I've had my '98 and '99 VFRs on the track and they were fantastic. I'd query him on the work out rear rotor. hope to meet you guys somewhere this season!

N2_CMP-20190901095641-6345sm.jpg

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
Any bike he is comfortable on is good, as long as it passes tech, less to think about on his first day. I started a on GS500E. I've seen a few Harleys and Honda Goldwings on the track. Harley guy trimmed his floorboards back to get more lean angle.

DethWshBkr

Shouldn't be that hard of a fix. Find a used OEM on ebay or something.

Wearing out a rear rotor is somewhat impressive. I've never done it.

Ha! Its got I think 75000 miles on it.
He has a rotor, he's just trying to get it changed. Single sided swingarm, apparently needs a 43mm socket or something.

I'm working on mine, just not sure on tires. As a new to track rider, I don't want or need hyper aggressive tires, but I'd also like a set that gives full confidence. I've heard so many conflicting reports on tires!

Shifty10

Control Rider
I'm working on mine, just not sure on tires. As a new to track rider, I don't want or need hyper aggressive tires, but I'd also like a set that gives full confidence. I've heard so many conflicting reports on tires!

Depending on your experience level and riding style, there is an incredibly wide range of tires that will work for you. Some common choices for track days are Dunlop Q3/Q3+/Q4, Pirelli TD or super corsa. all of those tires perform across a wide range of conditions and riding styles, with and without warmers. There are obviously others, but those are probably the most common on the east coast because of availability of tire vendors at Track Days.

This Year N2 events will have Dunlop tire vendors available trackside if that has an impact on your decision.

DethWshBkr

I've always run the Michelin PP2CT on street.
The bike I got had race slicks on it, which I of course will not be using. I know there is no way I'd keep enough heat in them as a first time track rider. I was recommended the Michelin Power 5 by the guys at Sportbike Track Gear, but Michelin says that's a road only tire (even the ancient design 2CT is a partial track tire.).
I'm not a new rider. Former expert MX racer, and been on street bikes since I could drive in 1997. I'm a raw newbie street track rider though.
I just don't want to have an issue where I'm either on too aggressive of a tire, or not enough tire. Both are problems. Don't want a greasy tire that will give out, nor a tire that needs a faster rider to come up to temp. I had been thinking the Power GP, and Michelin recommended that one.... But of course that's a generic recommendation.

Shifty10

Control Rider
I personally have zero experience on Michelins so I can't provide any meaningful insight on their performance.

At the end of the day it always comes down to rider preference. What makes up that preference varies by rider: "I like the feel better of XXXX vs XXXX", "XXXX tire gives me more feedback and better grip but wears out faster than XXXX tire" etc etc. For some it comes down to convenience and availability. The trackside vendor, regardless of brand he/she is selling, will typically have pretty good knowledge on all types of tires and can give you meaningful recommendations based on your particular needs and style.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Alex is right about preference its like saying ford/chevy/dodge, regarding type, Slick, DOT, Hyper sport, sport.... I use this as a barometer. If you were to graph your grip needs turning a set of laps against the grip envelope offered by any given tire what you would see is as you increase your pace you get closer to and sometime a little over the grip envelope that a given tire provides (too far over you crash). So though there may be a rider that is 10 or 20 seconds faster than you on the same tire you both might be close to or at the limit because in some places the other rider is smoother and near the limit more they have better lap times. The real question comes with how large do you want the tire performance envelope to be, is an extra $50 per tire and a larger envelope worth not crashing because you have more grip? My thoughts were always run the best tires I could get because it was cheaper than fixing a bike if if I went over the limit on a lesser tire.

mpusch

Micah
I've always run the Michelin PP2CT on street.
The bike I got had race slicks on it, which I of course will not be using. I know there is no way I'd keep enough heat in them as a first time track rider. I was recommended the Michelin Power 5 by the guys at Sportbike Track Gear, but Michelin says that's a road only tire (even the ancient design 2CT is a partial track tire.).
I'm not a new rider. Former expert MX racer, and been on street bikes since I could drive in 1997. I'm a raw newbie street track rider though.
I just don't want to have an issue where I'm either on too aggressive of a tire, or not enough tire. Both are problems. Don't want a greasy tire that will give out, nor a tire that needs a faster rider to come up to temp. I had been thinking the Power GP, and Michelin recommended that one.... But of course that's a generic recommendation.

My first couple of track seasons were on Pilot Power 2CT and then the Pilot Power 3. Always had plenty of grip for my needs and wore nicely too! If you're looking at Michelins, I think the Power lineup would be great. Though I haven't ridden on the 4 or 5, so I'm a bit outdated, but I presume they would only be better.

As mentioned above, any sport or hypersport tire should work great for you. The Q3+ lineup is also a very common and great choice. I rode them for a year or so before just moving to slicks and warmers.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
The "Q" tires from Dunlop are very good. YCRS uses them on many of their student bikes and perform excellent. We will have a Dunlop vendor at all of our events to purchase tires from. They will have the full lineup from Q3's to slicks at great prices. They even mount and balance them for you.