Oak Tree Down!!!

ragweed316

think your link is messed up dont see a thing about oak being down.

and was up on the 6/29? i know that for sure

meanstrk

Control Rider
oak tree down

alton, va, july 2, 2113 – there is no easy way to say this – the oak tree is down. The iconic landmark that has come to symbolize virginia international raceway has fallen, broken at the base.

“we are in shock and mourning,” said track owner connie nyholm. “we’re too busy right now trying to get the racetrack cleared of debris. We are grateful no one was at the corner station or on track when she fell and that there is no damage to the track surface. Tomorrow we’ll begin to get our arms around what this really means, but i can tell you that it means more than any of us want to think about today.”

the massive oak stood sentinel at the south end of the racetrack, looking out from the highest point on the property at the sprawling facility and its 3.27 miles of serpentine asphalt that has come to be regarded as the most challenging in north america, if not the world.

Its branches shaded the apex of the legendary oak tree turn, looking down on the likes of roger penske, walt hansgen, tom kristensen and richard petty as well as a host of race drivers from the brilliant to the not so.

“i can tell you this,” nyholm said, “the oak tree will live on in our minds and hearts, and we will give it an appropriate send-off. Please email your thoughts and suggestions to oaktree@virnow.com for proper ways to honor this old friend.”

sucks sucks sucks!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Wonder what caused this....that tree looked as sturdy as anything I've ever seen.

But on the bright side..I think the AMA didn't race the full course because of the Oak Tree..so if they go back to race there again some day..maybe the Full Course configuration's back in contention.

I would have LOVED to see Nicky Hayden, DuHamel, Mladin, Yates, Gobert and Bostrom run that Full course layout.

That will always be my personal favorite VIR course.

meanstrk

Control Rider
I have seen lots of big oaks like that fall due to the base rotting away. You never even realize it until they fall that the base is just hollow and barely holding on.

Sad day...

Quickone4u

meanstrk;279494 wrote: I have seen lots of big oaks like that fall due to the base rotting away. You never even realize it until they fall that the base is just hollow and barely holding on.

Sad day...
We've had similar issues with big oaks on our farm. Sucks either way but, this is really crappy!

Also D-zum, that would be awesome to see the AMA run the full course but sadly I dont see them running VIR again anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong because I miss watching them there!

yohoho

Quickone4u;279485 wrote: https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10151669229567488&id=40483792487&set=a.119788432487.100894.40483792487&__user=661158987

SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!! Just isn't going to be the same without the ol'gal there. Hoping the plant a new one. What in the world did you guys who were running there this past weekend do?! You guys must have really been throwing down! HA.
Just got the email from VIR....:wow: The turn will not be the same, what will we call it now? what will they plant in place.... now the rose bush turn, getting a good drive out of Crape Myrtle? Just doesn't sound the same.

I will be pouring a 40 out for my hommie the oak tree next time there.

LOrtega

Control Rider
I say replant a symbolic tree about 800 feet away from the track.
It looks nice but solid objects near a track are never a good combo.

I have seen a fair share of close calls there in my years and I am grateful no one ever
Made contact.

noobinacan

on 2nd thought... I don't know if I believe this...
Its a pretty big tree...it really got uprooted during a thunderstorm ???

any pics out there ?

Quickone4u

noobinacan;279500 wrote: on 2nd thought... I don't know if I believe this...
Its a pretty big tree...it really got uprooted during a thunderstorm ???

any pics out there ?
Did you follow the link to VIR's facebook page? They posted it themselves. Don't see why they would for any other reason :dunno:

mjkuhno

Just got the same email from VIR - not good!

Here's a picture I took Saturday night during the track walk.

It's not a very good shot really, but I wonder if it's one of the last pictures taken of the tree before it fell?

meanstrk

Control Rider
download.jpg