Oil filters

JBowen33

Hey everyone. I wanted to see what everyone uses for oil filters. I have an 06 Ducati 999 I recently converted for track use. I have always went for the OEM filters since I had a warranty and wanted to minimize BS reasons that the dealer could use against me for getting out of a repair. Wanted to see if there was a better cheaper alternative. The stock filter was 13 bucks with the crush washer for the oil bolt. Now I always changed my oil and filter every 1 thousand miles on the street and now change it every three to 4 track days since I just run track with it. The oil I have been using is Ams-oil 10-40 synthetic. I am also thinking of switching to Mobil one as everyone raves about it and supposedly it is a very good oil and cheap at Walmart (8 bucks a court compared to 14 ams-oil) any and all info would be great. Thanks

Ps all the jokes about having a Ducati and being cheap are well.... Been heard already lol

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I've always stayed with the OEM filters on all bikes I've had. When I had my '95 Ducati SS, I used the Mobil 1 15w50, it was the "red cap" version that they no longer make. Just make sure it's not energy conserving. Personally, I use Motul 300V, but it's not cheap. A lot of folks swear by the Shell Rotella. Just don't use Fram filters, too many stories of failures, at least there were some years ago, don't know if they've solved their problems.

jtdbsr

Stick with the OEM filter, you'll save a couple bucks at best by going aftermarket. On the other hand, switching oil brands will save you a lot. Shell Rotella is one of the good choices.

JBowen33

HondaGalToo;290973 wrote: I've always stayed with the OEM filters on all bikes I've had. When I had my '95 Ducati SS, I used the Mobil 1 15w50, it was the "red cap" version that they no longer make. Just make sure it's not energy conserving. Personally, I use Motul 300V, but it's not cheap. A lot of folks swear by the Shell Rotella. Just don't use Fram filters, too many stories of failures, at least there were some years ago, don't know if they've solved their problems.
Thanks for the info. I heard bad things about fram filters as well... Even tho I use them on my truck I would never put a cheap filter on my bike.

JBowen33

jtdbsr;290977 wrote: Stick with the OEM filter, you'll save a couple bucks at best by going aftermarket. On the other hand, switching oil brands will save you a lot. Shell Rotella is one of the good choices.
Now how much do you usually pay for a quart of rotella? I order ams-oil 10-40 right from ams oil which I have been using and it comes out to about 12 bucks a quart by ordering it in a case of 12 with shipping.. ( a case of twelve is 3 oil changes for me)

BigBird

i use the K&N (easier with the nut on the Kawi)...been good so far. I know compression test is best, but dyno two years shows the same HP, so hopefully I don't think it did anything bad in that time.

Rotella T6 can be had for about $22 at Amazon for a gallon and right now they have a $3 coupon, less then $19.

jtdbsr

JBowen33;291047 wrote: Now how much do you usually pay for a quart of rotella? I order ams-oil 10-40 right from ams oil which I have been using and it comes out to about 12 bucks a quart by ordering it in a case of 12 with shipping.. ( a case of twelve is 3 oil changes for me)
I use Motul 300V Double Esther, but keep hearing people talk about how cheap it is. BigBird just posted $22/gallon on Amazon. Won't get any cheaper than that.

moman

JBowen33;291047 wrote: Now how much do you usually pay for a quart of rotella? I order ams-oil 10-40 right from ams oil which I have been using and it comes out to about 12 bucks a quart by ordering it in a case of 12 with shipping.. ( a case of twelve is 3 oil changes for me)
When you order online aren't you paying the $20 for a year as a preferred customer? This saves you 25% off retail. Last time I ordered Amsoil was like $9/qt with the shipping added in.

If you plan to keep the bike awhile and change the oil quite often did you ever consider using a cleanable oil filter? Scott's makes one but I use the PCRacing brand. Nice to be able to see if anything is in the filter while doing the change.

betarace

have used K&N on every bike I have ever owned including my 999 and S2R. The predrilled 17mm plug makes fro ez on/off and removes any excuse from safety wire... you want a K&N-153 i monitor amazon frmo time to time and they go on sale for $6.99 so I order them by the dozen when they do

noupf

:wow:

Man, i'm never spending that much a on a quart of oil......not even if I owned a ferrari. Ok......MAYBE if I owned a ferrari, and thats a big maybe, lol.

Rotella T6 synthetic for $20 a gallon ( $5 a quart ) is what makes my wallet and my bike happy.

TurboBlew

hiflo is a good alternative. Most OEM filters are manufactured by someone else.
My personal experience... the K&N is overpriced garbage... considering a $1 hose clamp and $.04 worth of safety wire works better.

Another thing... most motorcycle engines are bypassing the oilfilter at higher rpms so its more important to change your oil than filter. (I routinely cut mine open)

As for warranty... a log book with dates/receipts/service details will beat ANY weasel service writer excuse in any forum... including legal ones. :D. And review Magnusson Moss if youre not familiar with the act.

TurboBlew

For oil... rotella is an obvious choice. Also maxima has high zinc content. Which is really important to your top & bottom ends.

If I used a more expensive oil... id be less likely to change it more often. :D

Luggageboy

ritelite77;292051 wrote: K&N filter...motul 300V...the crush washer can be re-used a couple times, but after that it will need replaced
This right here every oil change. Having the 17mm 6 point on there makes everything so easy and quick. Also they come pre-drilled for safety wire. I mean, come on how much more do you want for $12.95 from sport bike track gear :agree: