Oil on the tire, toss it or able to clean it?

EngineNoO9

Got the RC51 out for the first time this season yesterday and of course with my luck it ended up leaking oil and got all over the motor, plastics, and back half of my bike including the right side of the tire. Not a lot but enough that I stranded it up in Ephrata, PA until late last night to pick it up with a pickup because I felt it was way too dangerous to ride home. Haven't gotten into what was leaking yet but I'm worried about the tire. Hate to throw it as it was a perfectly good DC3 with plenty of life left but obviously not gonna risk it. It wasn't a lot but wanted opinions into this. I'm going to wager a guess that the consensus will be to toss it, not worth the risk... :doh:

TwoTyres

As long as it hasn't been soaking in oil and the rubber isn't all soft then i would wash it off with dish soap and water then take it for a ride to scrub it in. If it doesn't feel right then change it.
Its cheaper to change it before a wreck than after one.

EngineNoO9

hmmm so try and clean it tomorrow then before it sits on there any longer? It happened Saturday morning and has been sitting at my house since which is a 20 min drive from where I am until I move later this month...

1literduceater

Dude you were almost in my back yard! Sorry to hear about the oil leak. I would give the tire washing a try and then take it for a spin to see how it feels.

Phil

Curious... I wonder if Bleche-White (the stuff you use to clean White-walled tires on cars) would do the trick.... Strong cleaner and SHOULDN'T damage the tire, right???

This is a QUESTION, mind you...

Burnall4

What if you purposefully put a mixture "oil like compounds" on your tire, hehehe. Go-Kart tire prepping softens and makes the tires last longer :)

wsuduc

I oiled my rear tire on my SV once. I cleaned it with brake fluid and it looked like crap! But I took it out on a few slow laps, scrubbed it in like it was a new tire and I actually raced on it the same day.

Might have been a young and dumb moment, but it worked. I would think soap and water and a gentle throttle hand would be fine. Of course an RC is a bit more expensive than a SV650 track whore...

A59

+1 on simple green. I saturated a tire on the street when the filter spun loose. I used simple green and never had any problems with traction. Even riding the street harder than I should have been.