Oil Recommendations

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
I researched the archives and found myself a little dizzy from the many oil recommendations (or preferences rather) that a lot of us riders presented.

My manufacturer specs recommend 10w-30 or 20w40. I'm leaning toward 4T/full-synthetic oil such as Motul 5100 15W50 OR Motul 300V 10W40.

Am I off-base here? I don't plan to track/run my bike (R6, inline-4 with a slipper clutch) below 60 degrees.

Thanks for y'alls advice. :)

tittys04

I use Silkolene Pro 4 10W40 in my R6. I've used Repsol, Motul, and Rotella in the past, but the Pro 4 has the best clutch feel and otherwise is just a really good oil.

Motul makes good products, you wouldn't go wrong with either of them. I think the Pro 4 is a little cheaper than 300V if that matters.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Thanks. The review looks good. I'll put that on my short list of oils to check out when I go shopping later.

thesnowgod

I've never paid extra for oil because it had a picture of a motorcycle on it.

Critical points to look for is to make sure the oil you buy doesn't have the "energy conserving" label on the back of the bottle.

Also ensure that your particular clutch manufacturer says fully synthetic is OK.

I have two YZF600R bikes. One has stock clutch and is street ridden and I run synthetic in it. The other bike is track only and when I replaced the clutch discs and springs, it specifically said NO synthetic oil. I change the oil in it every 3-4 tracks days now so longevity of synthetic oils isn't an issue.

andykurz

FWIW, Mark Rozema runs T6 in the bikes he works on. Though technically, he makes more money when bikes blow up !!!

It is great oil and super cheap. Plus, as John says, the cost difference adds up - especially compared to Motul and others which in some cases are 3x the price of T6.

Dickie

Control Rider
I run the Silkolene Pro 4 in the R6, because it's built and because they pay contingency dollars in races.

Otherwise, I run T6 in everything.