Ok friends, Opinion and brainstorming time!

HavocCat

Chris
SO, after a bit of a mishap at NJMP at the end of last year, I've replaced almost everything that was broke, plus some parts that were not broke, in a futile attempt to hear my bike start again....

The cluster was destroyed, so I replaced it.
The tip over sensor was iffy, so I said Eff it and replaced it.
I also replaced the stock steering stabilizer (which I did not want to do) because it has a plug to it, that I thought may be causing the no start condition.
The only thing I have not replaced yet, is the gear position sensor, however, I did pull the sensor and clean it.

When I turn my key on, the gauge does a normal sweep now, but it reads "CHEC" on the display, with NO neutral light or any gear position.

The transmission is in neutral, I have cycled all the way up and down through gears with the key on, and it made no difference.

It is also not the kill switch, because I suspected that too, so I pulled it apart and hard wired it together to eliminate that possibility. (Is this a tech fail? Do I need a fuel kill switch if I have a key?)

So, someone put my mind at ease and tell me it's most likely the gear position sensor, or, give me any ideas you may have as to where to go next.
My thought was possibly replacing the ECU, the tail section took a pretty good whack in the unfortunate event....

Ideas?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I don't have any ideas, unfortunately, but yes, you need a kill switch. At least that's my opinion, although I couldn't find anything definitive in a quick scan through the Riders Manual. Just seems like a safety thing to me. Anyone else?

Last edited:

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Hey Chris,

Not sure if the gear position sensor would be part of the ignition circuit but you never know. The computer may need that signal before it will allow the bike to start.

I would recommend going through all of the basics as well, clutch lever switch, kickstand switch, etc. Sometimes these things get banged up during a crash and are not allowing the starter circuit to work.

If you are seeing a chec engine light there is obviously something wrong. Do you have a way to find the code that it is kicking out? That might help with troubleshooting.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
My gear position on my '07 is wonky from a crash a few years ago. It usually doesn't show the green neutral light or "0" when in neutral, but shows the rest of the gears. Sometimes it shows the green light and "0". I haven't had any issues with it working like that. FWIW. I never bothered to take it apart to see if it's just dirt or something.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
AJ, touched on it...see if you can get a code. That will at least point you in the right direction.

borislav

Control Rider
...first make sure all the conectors are conceded properly, one or more may come apart during crash, also I would definitely check kick stand switch... I had similar problem when I was putting my 750 together after winter maintenance but for the love of God I can't remember the details
Sorry

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Bo, once I removed the kickstand I cut the wires, crimped them together and was good to go.

tdelegram

Control Rider
All sage advice above, I would also look at your battery, a flux capacitor takes 1.21 gigawatts, that's not easy for a partially drained battery.

HavocCat

Chris
Small update- Poked around a bit with the kickstand switch wires, didn't seem to change anything. (I hard wired this together when I removed the kickstand, but checked for a loose connection, seems ok)

The gear position sensor I ordered is due on Monday, so I will install that when it gets here and let you guys know what's up.

Kruizen

Control Rider
I'm leaning toward your tip over sensor, heard that on some bikes there's some kill switch on/offs to clear a tip over error. Like 3times on/off in x seconds.

Pull the code will be easiest.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Yeah...um....how about not crashing?

Seriously, get the trouble code and it will make life so much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

HavocCat

Chris
Great news, I'm quite sure I have it figured.

Poking through looking for where the locations of my main grounds are in my wiring harness, I come across an ebay link to a fuel pump relay harness.

I immediately recognized the one end of the plug as something I had just removed the other day because it had an open end on it....
I ended up not throwing this thing away because it's strange for me to un-plug something and leave the end just open, I always tape/close them up with something letting me know it's no longer in use.

Turns out, this big plug is supposed to have a relay in it, and a bracket on which it mounts, which is, low and behold, the fuel pump relay. DING DING DING!

Just got home, inspected the one I have, and sure shit, I have the short harness with two plugs but no bracket with relay anywhere to be found. (It's probably in the grass on the outside of the front straight at T-bolt.)

Boy.... someone is going to love me when they wreck a GSXR or need a random part. I have doubles of everything now.