OK, who dunnit?

CptCurt

Apr 7, 2009
Who wants to admit to wrecking the blue R1 demo bike I rode at Lightning on Saturday? It only had 4 miles on it. WTH?

LOrtega

Control Rider
Jul 13, 2008
Ohh dont worry after the earfull I gave him, I think he gave up trackdays, riding motorcycles, maybe even slit his wrists

beac83

Jul 12, 2008
"Congratulations, you've just bought a brand new R1". I'll get you a box to take it home in. :D

JohnS

Jul 11, 2008
CptCurt;189497 wrote: Who wants to admit to wrecking the blue R1 demo bike I rode at Lightning on Saturday? It only had 4 miles on it. WTH?
was not me but that really sux

avizpls

#11-A
Feb 4, 2009
Beaver, PA
LOrtega;189598 wrote: Ohh dont worry after the earfull I gave him, I think he gave up trackdays, riding motorcycles, maybe even slit his wrists
My gripe wouldnt be with the rider (no idea who what when how or why about this crash) but with the concept of concurrent Nesba trackdays and demo/joy rides. It really does bother me, but here isnt the place. I said my part at the track (before this even happened)....I just dont think that a TrackDay held to the high standard of NESBA is a place for Yamaha marketing at the risk of the participants :dunno: not my org :argh:

but bottom line, when I feel endangered on the track because of Yamaha Demo rides....there is a significant problem. And turns out, my fears were realized and I cant say im all that suprised. Unfortunate that it happened, and I hope no one other than the demo rider was involved.

I should just shut up now before I cause a scene

15 minutes edit: the more I think about this, the more I go back to being as pissed as I was on saturday.

Hitman954

Mar 17, 2010
wow that sucks!! When I rode one last year this was my biggest fear, but they said ride 70 or even 60 percent of your comfort level, I caught myself getting a little ahead and had to dial it back, but that's my responsibility. Bet he didn't think he'd be "THAT GUY"

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Do we know if it was a nesba regular, or someone "off the street" who just showed up only to do a demo ride? (that doesn't have to necessarily be answered on here). Although I think part of the idea of the demo rides is to attract new members, is there more risk sending an unknown person out for a demo ride than there is for a rider showing up for the first time for a regular trackday? I only ask because I don't know how the program is run. A brand new B rider goes through a rider's meeting, then a B group meeting. A brand new demo rider? Do they have to go though an orientation? What if an "off the street" demo rider has zero track experience and is now placed a a brand new shiny R1?

Not looking for controversy, I just honestly don't know the particulars of the demo program.

litespeed

Jan 31, 2009
I just thought that I would repost what Bob B. posted following concerns with the demo program at Road Atlanta:

As a follow up on DJ's post:

We are making the following changes to the sign up process for DEMO's. This will be done programmatically during signup to ensure there is a level of validation. Previously the validation was executed during the check in process for the demo's.

1. Riders that are not an active NESBA member will only be able to sign up for the 8-9 slots and the first two B sessions.
2. In order to sign up for any other class or time slot the rider must be an active NESBA member. The only class available for signup is the class you are assigned to.

Bob Blandford

avizpls

#11-A
Feb 4, 2009
Beaver, PA
Hitman954;189628 wrote: they said ride 70 or even 60 percent of your comfort level
That comes with its own set of problems, PARTICULARLY in a group with limited passing rules.

The result was a bunch of near-ass packing and a bunch of rule breaking to get around without ending up in a swarm of riders ten wide going for turn one.

Hitman954

Mar 17, 2010
avizpls;189641 wrote: That comes with its own set of problems, PARTICULARLY in a group with limited passing rules.

The result was a bunch of near-ass packing and a bunch of rule breaking to get around without ending up in a swarm of riders ten wide going for turn one.
:eek: that could get ugly, and riders should know that it aint the end of the world if you have to follow a lap and run a slower pace. It's just a trackday.

rac_wv

Apr 7, 2009
Last year when I was in B at Beaverun, the demo riders had a non CR pacer with them pulling the demo offline at times. I didn't have any issues. I think limiting the non NESBA members to the first two sessions is a good idea since speeds are lower. Requiring the B meeting for first time track riders would be a good idea too.

avizpls

#11-A
Feb 4, 2009
Beaver, PA
Hitman954;189650 wrote: :eek: that could get ugly, and riders should know that it aint the end of the world if you have to follow a lap and run a slower pace. It's just a trackday.
Yeah, it left me pretty frustrated after that session. I mean.....NESBAS still the best, but there were some issues, thats all. I spoke on them that day....Im not sure what, if anything, was done, but after problematic sessions #1&2, the third session before lunch went much smoother for me. Unfortunately, I was left in a crap state of mind and the rain and a host of other variables (organizational, personal and mechanical) caused me to pack it in for the day. It just didnt seem worth pushing my luck.

fitz

Jul 27, 2009
avizpls;189659 wrote: Yeah, it left me pretty frustrated after that session. I mean.....NESBAS still the best, but there were some issues, thats all. I spoke on them that day....Im not sure what, if anything, was done, but after problematic sessions #1&2, the third session before lunch went much smoother for me. Unfortunately, I was left in a crap state of mind and the rain and a host of other variables (organizational, personal and mechanical) caused me to pack it in for the day. It just didnt seem worth pushing my luck.
I feel your pain.

I bit my touge all last year dealing with the demo program. (Some days OK, some just had me feeling like avizpls).

This year, if there isn't improvement.

I already complained once over a year ago so thats out, http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=12087&highlight=demo+rides

Refrain from doing track days with demos.

fitz

Hitman954

Mar 17, 2010
avizpls;189659 wrote: Yeah, it left me pretty frustrated after that session. I mean.....NESBAS still the best, but there were some issues, thats all. I spoke on them that day....Im not sure what, if anything, was done, but after problematic sessions #1&2, the third session before lunch went much smoother for me. Unfortunately, I was left in a crap state of mind and the rain and a host of other variables (organizational, personal and mechanical) caused me to pack it in for the day. It just didnt seem worth pushing my luck.
I understand your frustration, been there for sure. I've also packed it up early, with all the close calls it seemed better to take her home in one piece. Just understand that Nesba can only control the riders to a certian extent (and I have no idea what happened at your event) It would also be great if every trackday we attended the stars would align and the track gods shined up on us. Make the best of the days cause they all can't work for us all the time.

CptCurt

Apr 7, 2009
JohnS;189605 wrote: was not me but that really sux
Yeah, I want to make it clear that my intent obviously isn't to find out who it was but rather point out that it sux that stuff like this happens. I've done 3 or 4 demos since the program began and I appreciate the opportunity. I hope this incident doesn't kill what I think is a cool thing.

avizpls

#11-A
Feb 4, 2009
Beaver, PA
fitz;189663 wrote:

Refrain from doing track days with demos.

fitz
Thats a simple enough solution that I didnt think of it. And I like it. It looks like my schedule doesn't cross paths with Big Blue for the rest of the year! Thanks

Meat

Jul 14, 2008
I do understand the frustration as I have been on track with some demo riders. I didn't feel it was as much an issue of safety as it was frustration. I am not sure what the rider is going to do and I find myself having an exceptionally difficult time passing them. But, when I recognize the rider then it is totally different.

When I find myself unable to pass a demo bike right away, I try to back off to allow someone else to pass and then try again. After all, most of my passing inabilities can be attributed to my own lack of skill (which includes perceiving what is dangerous and what is not).

Now, this is just my experience and I am just trying to bring a different view on the matter.

I don't think the rate of demo crashes is any more than regular nesbians on their own bikes.

All that being said, yes I do get concerned and agitated from time to time with a demo rider!

I just need to get better and that will solve all my problems ;-)

avizpls

#11-A
Feb 4, 2009
Beaver, PA
Keep in mind I'm in the B group where the skill level spread is (perceived by me) much wider. I saw a lot of spooked reactions on the track that day both by Demo riders and regular participants.

This year is off to a slow start for me, that's all. My first day was all-wet and I had a ton of fun with it until a mechanical failure sent me home right after lunch. Like has been said, not all days can be perfect. I'm happy and just waiting for June 11 at BeaveRun (my home track :D)