Old and new

late rider

Just joined NESBA. Never on a track on a bike. Just bought a 2000 R1 track bike from a friend in California. The details are impressive: professional tuning, akra full exhaust, stripped of all street necessities and 200# lighter that the BMW K12GT that I ride on the roads.

I'm 67 years old and my first session is Sept 6th at CMP in Kershaw SC. Open to any suggestions and recommendations - especially regarding riding gear. Glad to be aboard.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
WOW, 67! Welcome aboard! You've got yourself a great bike there. I had one for three years from 05-07. There's nothing you want to skimp on when it comes to gear. Get a good set of leathers, good boots, good gloves, helmet & a back protector. You'll easily be over $1000 with all of these. Once you get the gear, then you'll need to start investing in pit gear. It's quite amazing how little you need to start out with and how much you accumulate over the years of riding. Good luck, happy shopping and have fun.

jas0336

:agree:
#1- Back protector, chest protector...Knox makes great ones that cover shoulder blades and tailbone. Very important!
I would recommend a one piece suit over a 2-piece. I bought 2-piece and regret it. However, Dainese, Alpinestars, Technic...all good choices and there are many others. Just look at stitching, armor and comfort.
Good helmet, good gloves and GOOD BOOTS. Dont skimp.
Be safe and have fun.
Welcome to our addiction!

Hambone

Welcome to paradise! My advice is similar. Get the best, most comfortable gear you can find and then go to every track day that you can. It's way too fun to pass up and you'll meet a bunch of good people in the group.

Enjoy!

StreetRider

Now thats the way to enjoy your golden years. Welcome to the Nesba Family, great bunch of guys (and gals). Just ask alot of questions and keep an open mind. We are all here to have fun and be safe. I am sure that you are going to love it.

suzukigirl

Welcome!! I sure hope I'm still riding when I'm your age!! I know I will be ; )

I will again say... Don't skimp on the gear. I think most everything you will need has been mentioned. As important as quality of gear is also fit of gear... Leathers should be a 2nd layer of skin 4 u. You have to be able to breathe in them... but they will be tight. Be sure to try them in the riding position, and keep in mind that your back and chest protectors will be under there. Helmet fit is crucial... Tightest fit that doesn't cause a headache!! I'm sure you know all of this, being a rider already... but just incase ; )

Ask lots of questions... thru the whole process. Want reviews when deciding btwn products? Ask! I'll bet somebody has tried them ; )

We're all happy to have you! You'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beac83

Welcome. I started with NESBA last year at age 53. You will find the folks at NESBA events are welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Just don't be shy. Walk around the paddock and talk to people. You will find pretty much everyone is willing to help the new guys & gals.

You will most likely find this sport extremely addictive. Welcome to the addiction!

And above all - Have Fun!

jimmeigs

Welcome to NESBA! I started this sport fairly late as well and have spent a lot of time on the track trying to overcome 40 years of street riding knowledge.

My best advice is to come into this with an open mind, listen to the CRs, get all the instruction you can afford, leave your ego at home, invest in quality gear, concentrate on the basics at first (smooth control and lines, hitting all apexes), and most of all have a great time!

Be careful on the throttle with the liter bike!

Folly1

Welcome,

And I thought I was the oldest at 64. My advice would be to look at some CMP video's and try to have some idea of what the track does. After that, ride your own ride. Read Keith Code's books. This is a complex sport and that is one reason it is so much fun. The garages at CMP are cheap. I would get one as that track is close to the sun and usually hot as hell. Introduce yourself to CR Earle. He is a kid at 62.5. All of the CR's are great. Earle just talks slower.

Ben.

Meat

Folly1;70203 wrote: Welcome,

And I thought I was the oldest at 64. My advice would be to look at some CMP video's and try to have some idea of what the track does. After that, ride your own ride. Read Keith Code's books. This is a complex sport and that is one reason it is so much fun. The garages at CMP are cheap. I would get one as that track is close to the sun and usually hot as hell. Introduce yourself to CR Earle. He is a kid at 62.5. All of the CR's are great. Earle just talks slower.

Ben.
Ben you are only 64, I thought for sure you were in your 70's! ;) :)

+1 to what was said on gear, don't skimp and be certain it fits you well in riding position. Some of the one piece suits are pretty short in the front when standing up, but are perfect in riding position. Keep that in mind.

I am sure you know this from years on the street, but make sure your protective gear is CE rated.

Komodo is also good gear, along with a few others. Definitely ask once you narrow down what you are looking at as there will be more than one person with the gear you are looking at.

Folly1

Meat,

I often think my body is in it's 70's but I have the judgment and cognitive ability of a 15 year old so that averages to 42.5. Life is easier with a 15 year old brain. Maybe 14 next year. Hi to Courtney.

Ben.

pmupson

You are only as old as you think you are

Welcome to Nesba,

As a 65 year old rider I can say this is a great way to stay young. The advice on buying good quality safety equipment is the best advice you will ever get. I also agree that Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist II" is a great book on riding at the track. One thing I believe is very important is getting on a good physical training program. It will improve your riding and make each day more enjoyable. The physical demands of this hobby are not trivial.

Paul

R6 #28

Trent1098S

Thunderace;69110 wrote: Once you get the gear, then you'll need to start investing in pit gear. It's quite amazing how little you need to start out with and how much you accumulate over the years of riding.
Years? Try a couple of weekends. Once your hooked, your hooked man.. :)

dfaldridge

I will echo the high end gear and I will add seat time, seat time, seat time. Don't worry about being fast at first, just get your technique down. Body position and track location. The control riders are a wealth of knowledge. Welcome aboard brother!

DFlowe

late rider;69103 wrote: Just joined NESBA. Never on a track on a bike. Just bought a 2000 R1 track bike from a friend in California. The details are impressive: professional tuning, akra full exhaust, stripped of all street necessities and 200# lighter that the BMW K12GT that I ride on the roads.

I'm 67 years old and my first session is Sept 6th at CMP in Kershaw SC. Open to any suggestions and recommendations - especially regarding riding gear. Glad to be aboard.
Welcome to Nesba and regardless of age, your about to learn how much fun you can have on a motorcycle. CMP is a great track and has many technical sections and some wide open sections as well. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

If I could offer some advice, it would be to ride your own pace and just try to enjoy yourself. Newcomers can be far too serious and try too hard on their first track days. Get a few sessions under your belt and then start to work on improvements.

I'll be there on the 5th and 6th as well and I'll try to remember to look you up.