Petit Rider joingthe Big Boy's world

Hello,

This is my first time sign up at the Forum.
I plan to experience more track days in this 2010. But I need many many many help.
Hoping to send an S.O.S message will get some supports to start my adventure and meet new friends.

I live in Chesterfield, VA (or Richmond/South side). I will be getting a track bike soon after tax return. But I don't know anything about maintaining or fixing even a small part. Where should I start with Motorcycle 101? Any suggestions? Yes, I know how to ride. But preparing for a track day needs more than riding. I have no help in this arena so I hope someone out there can hear me and willing to piggy back me in this journey.

Red-Ridinghood- 2010 (small rider with a brave soul but ride slow also)
: ))

jtsgsxr6

I'm sure someone in your area on here can lend a hand. What kind of bike are you thinking about? Make sure to get your hands on an OEM service manual for the bike you buy, they are worth their weight in gold.

Thank you for the quick reply.
for now, I know ther is a 2000 Yamaha R6 on sale. I am even considering a new bike and just to break it in so I will not need to worry about fixing any thing but money is the matter.

Red

JeffreyDeal197

when shopping for used sportbikes (especially ones highly prone to high rpm abuse like an R6) you need to make sure 2nd gear isn't bad. run the bike to the redline in 2nd gear, if 2nd gear is bad you'll know it :)

this time of year there's plenty of trackbikes being sold for cheap, just keep an eye out.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What bike do you ride now?
Another good thing to do is to read the NESBA rider's manual (it's available on this site), as it will tell you what type of gear you need, and what needs to be done to the bike to pass tech before it's allowed out on the track. Once you've read through that, then you may have more specific questions you can ask.:) As long as you get a bike that's in good working condition, it doesn't take much mechanical skill to prep it for the track.
As far as maintenance goes, learning to do basics like changing oil, brake fluid, adjusting the chain, removing the wheels to have new tires mounted would be a great start.
Welcome!

Wow,
message comes faster than I can handel.

Jeffrey,
Thank you! I am so scare because I don't have much knowledge about bike. You may laugh at me why I will be riding then. Well, i will do the best I could and just to make my baby step marging into the big boy's world.
If i run my 2nd gear to red line. Do i need to ride on a staright road?? to test? or can I just able to rap it high on a stand and look for funny noise?
red

HondaGaiToo ( Judy),
I have a Kawasaki ninja but pretty old. Never your suggestion is great. I will start from the NESBA rider's manual and begin my 1st steps. It is very helpful tip. I need direction and no idea how to start. And most of the time feel over whelm

Thanks witha smile -RED

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome and be prepared to have a wonderful time on the track...there are more than enough people willing to give you a hand with specific questions, no worries...

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
up in short pump...look us up if ya need any help

tend to indulge during the season with many more track days than i should...post up most of my planned days on VASB (check signature)...

c u out there!

Meat

red-ridinghood-2010;109036 wrote:
If i run my 2nd gear to red line. Do i need to ride on a staright road??
You aren't riding a harley! Dragging a knee at redline is what the bike is made for...

Just messing with you. I couldn't resist. Welcome aboard.

And if you are looking for a track only bike and don't have piles of cash lying around, get a used track or race bike. Let the people with piles of cash modify the brand new bikes for you and then sell it to you when it is a couple years old.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;109159 wrote: You aren't riding a harley! Dragging a knee at redline is what the bike is made for...

Just messing with you. I couldn't resist. Welcome aboard.

And if you are looking for a track only bike and don't have piles of cash lying around, get a used track or race bike. Let the people with piles of cash modify the brand new bikes for you and then sell it to you when it is a couple years old.
Yeah, ditto that. A good place to look is the classifieds here and on www.wera.com

LUCKEDUCK

First off welcome aboard!! Second I would agree with what meat said about buy a used bike already done up.. It will save you a TON of money in the long run!! And you should def get a service manual! Well you def joined a great org with nesba cause everybody is super nice and very helpful at the tracks!!! If you ever need help with anything just come up to any of us and ask... See you at the track!!

barry38

[QUOTE=red-ridinghood-2010;109036
If i run my 2nd gear to red line. Do i need to ride on a staright road?? to test? or can I just able to rap it high on a stand and look for funny noise?

I would not do it on a stand, as it could very easily fall off, which would be very dangerous. If you don't want to do it on the road, or you don't feel comfortable with evaluating the condition of a bike, take it to a shop and have them check it out for you. At a minumum I'd want to do a compression and possibly a leakdown check on the motor and inspect a lot of other stuff. It might cost you a bit to have a shop do this, but it could ultimately save you moeny and grief in the long run.

Good luck!

gsxr11

as u see there are plenty of friendly people on here and at the track willing to help and also welcome.... i started also not knowing for to work on a bike but u will learn on the way and plenty of advised on here

thank you for the support

Guys, Lady,
your advise is great!!! all are wonderful.
I will down load the Nesba rider's manu and start form there.
I will check out the used track bike some time next week when the snow decides to leave VA.
i will ask the owner if he will let me take to the shop for a brief check up as what Barry 38 suggested for "a compression and possibly a leakdown check on the motor and inspect a lot of other stuff".
If money is right, I will be lucky to have a R6 (yr 2000) and ready for 2 track days in July.

Lemondrop, I may look you up since you are not too far away from Chesterfield, but please be patience with me. I am slow but willing to learn. Riding is not natual to me, I have to work hard to get up to a certain comfort level. But I will get there eventually.

Look at this way, If I start infront of you, then you past me on the cornor. Than I will be slow enough to block you to pass me in the next turn. Some where on the track I am infront of the BIg BOYS. Ha ha ha.

Thanks.
Red

gsxr11

i 2nd that lemondrop red u will love the track i had a blast on my first day if u have questions we have answers