Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa- any feedback?

apex..addict

Thinking about putting Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas on my 07 R1 - right now im in mid-high intermediate rider and looking to change tires. Has anyone ridden on these or have any feedback?

betarace

Just put a set on the 999 and I think they are better than the old DCIIIs (more feel quicker warmup) but no where near as good as the Dunlop Q2.

jimgl3

what ever you do... dont try race tires! the track is addictive enough w/o them. my wallet was glad i waited as long as i did.

needasixr

I have 6 days on a set and really like them. Fast warm-up, good grip, and they wear really well. Better than the DC3's and comparable to the Q2's. I am running a fast I pace with them and am going quicker than on the Q2's, but might be more me than tire making the difference. Just flipped the rear so I can't say how they are when shagged and sliding. Right now I would rate them slightly better than the Q2's.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
needasixr;201514 wrote: I have 6 days on a set and really like them. Fast warm-up, good grip, and they wear really well. Better than the DC3's and comparable to the Q2's. I am running a fast I pace with them and am going quicker than on the Q2's, but might be more me than tire making the difference. Just flipped the rear so I can't say how they are when shagged and sliding. Right now I would rate them slightly better than the Q2's.
And Larry was rollin' out there!

ZeroBahamutxRR

apex..addict;201111 wrote: Thinking about putting Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas on my 07 R1 - right now im in mid-high intermediate rider and looking to change tires. Has anyone ridden on these or have any feedback?
If your going to spend your money go with the pirelli trackday pro slicks. They are the ones with the red line. I went from the DRC's to the pro's and will never look back. The DRC's have great wear and come up to temp well. They also respond to warmers with out any problems. If you don't have warmers then the Pro's are still a good choice. They are supose to run an overall lower temp than other slicks and thus last much longer. They are mainly designed to work as an awsome track day tire and still be great for racing. The DRC's will let you know when you are riding them to their limits. They tend to get greasy near the end of the day, especially on a hot day. I'll be at T- Bolt on monday the 18th if you want more feedback. 599 orange repsol 600rr.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
needasixr;202077 wrote: Not rolling fast enough to stay in front of you, Judy...
That was a great time.
It was! Going to the Beave in July?

I've also heard great things about the Pirelli trackday slick and will try a set next year. I used the dragon trackday pro, same carcass/tread pattern as the Dragon Supercorsa, last year and loved them. Great grip and wear, and the same compound as the trackday slick. They discontinued them, so I gave DOT races a try this year. Using the Pirelli Dragon supercorsa pro in the SC2 compound in the rear. The only compound for the front currently is a combo of the trackday compound and SC2, so I'll get 2 rears to a front. They are available at a good price point, too, but warmers are recommended. On a hot day you could get away without them.

Blueberry

I rode on the DRC's all last season; great tire. I came from the DCIII which I liked and thought the DRC's were better all-around- profile, grip, and and wear. I rode 17 days last season on 2 rears and 1 front (600cc, low-mid I pace, aftermarket suspension), only changing out because the profile of the tires had altered a lot and despite the # of days I am actually pretty conservative about changing out my tires (wasn't even very close to the wear bars). On really hot days they did get a little greasy and on a few occasions they slid around a bit on corner exits if I rolled on too early/abrupt but I think that's more about me not being comfortable with the bike moving around a bit.

My only knock on them, and it wasn't really about them (more street tires in general), was that without warmers I found myself taking my first two sessions and session after lunch dialing in tire pressures and heat soaking the tire/rim. I wanted to go to warmers mainly to be able to "standardize" my setup prior to every session/day (not worried about heat cycling or going hard the 1st lap). I probably could have done warmers with the DRC's but went up to the Dragon SuperCorsa Pro (SC2) compound this year w/ warmers and won't look back. The warmers and extra grip of the SCP are definitely upgrades and confidence inspiring (ie I can't say that I'm making total use of the extra grip, but having it there provides a nice safety buffer). My wear hasn't been bad, getting 5-6 days (conservatively) from a rear and working on 10 days on the front, but as expected nowhere near the DRC's. And this year I'd describe my pace as mid-upper I! :D

needasixr

HondaGalToo;202078 wrote: It was! Going to the Beave in July?

I've also heard great things about the Pirelli trackday slick and will try a set next year. I used the dragon trackday pro, same carcass/tread pattern as the Dragon Supercorsa, last year and loved them. Great grip and wear, and the same compound as the trackday slick. They discontinued them, so I gave DOT races a try this year. Using the Pirelli Dragon supercorsa pro in the SC2 compound in the rear. The only compound for the front currently is a combo of the trackday compound and SC2, so I'll get 2 rears to a front. They are available at a good price point, too, but warmers are recommended. On a hot day you could get away without them.
Won't make it to the Beav until August. Will be at Summit end of the month.

bronsonj

Resurrecting an oldish thread.
Those of you who are using the DRC w/o warmers, what pressures are you using. I've been setting them at 28 f/r cold, then letting air out until I get 31 f/r hot off the track. They were working great for me, but Sat at beav I lost the rear w/o warning & high sided. This was late in the day although it was not a real hot day. Was probably me getting greedy w/ throttle rather than the tire.

apex..addict

My opinion is that 31 hot is still little high. I'm still running dcIII and I set mine at 29 hot off track. I heard that the drc would be around the same hot 28 or 29. I plan on getting those tires next in a few weeks at my next track day. I'll post back once I mount those. Also ask the tire supplier at the track what he recommends.

ZeroBahamutxRR

bronsonj;207088 wrote: Resurrecting an oldish thread.
Those of you who are using the DRC w/o warmers, what pressures are you using. I've been setting them at 28 f/r cold, then letting air out until I get 31 f/r hot off the track. They were working great for me, but Sat at beav I lost the rear w/o warning & high sided. This was late in the day although it was not a real hot day. Was probably me getting greedy w/ throttle rather than the tire.
The problem that I had with the DRC's was that they would let me know when I was getting to the brink with them. They will take all the abuse you can throw and then all of a sudden they bite back. That's why I went to the full Pro Slick. I was running 27 H.O.T. with the DRC's, but they still were greasy when pushed real hard. Throttle control is critical with any situation but with the DRC's I think it's even more. If you still have issues with correct pressure then it might be time to bump up to full slicks. What I noticed prior to my incident (high side save @ T-bolt). Was they just didn't feel good. I too blammed my self for bad throttle, and I still believe it had to do with it, but the room for error with the DRC is small. I've been much more agressive with the pro's and they take it much better. It's hard to explain but with the pro's I've been able to modulate the throttle better when the rear starts to give out (slide slightly) and control it better and the DRC's just seem to let out and snap (high side)...For the record, this is just my own feelings about them. As for your incident it's hard to pin point an exact cause. Pressure, throttle, line, bar input...there are so many factors to what might have happened it's hard to tell. I do think 31 is too high though. I have a tech sheet for the Superbike Slick and SuperCorsa (SC1 and SC2) right from pirelli, PM me if you want them. It's not for the DRC but Hot pressure's are 26 min 29 max. I believe the DRC is a hard center and SC1 side so it might be useful.

I also have Rich Conrath number. He is the pirelli rep for the N.E area. He runs with Absolute (i think) and would know what pressure hot or cold you should run. Just make sure you do your own analysist also. No offence to him but he was assuming I was not heating them up enough on the track so the pressures were a little high yet. But he will let you know what it should be so there was no problem correcting it.

Blueberry

I ran 30/29 hot with DRC's last year; other folks (faster, coaches in another org) ran 30/28 hot as baseline and adjusted based on track conditions. For a mid-I pace I found them to be pretty good but would still slide/slip a bit, albeit predictably. I always had to be conscious to roll on the throttle lighter in certain spots.

I think I would start in the morning at ~ 26/25 cold and would take the first couple sessions to dial in the hot pressures.

bronsonj

Thanks all for the replies. I watched a youtube video where Ken Hill talked about the DRC's and said he was running 28 f/r hot off the track. I'm running what I think is a solid I pace and I'm hesitant to move up to a "racier" tire for a few reasons -
I feel like I would learn more if I don't have a tire thats going to mask my mistakes.
I'm also not sure I could keep a more advanced tire hot enough to really work.
I also don't have tire warmers.

ZeroBahamutxRR

bronsonj;207118 wrote: Thanks all for the replies. I watched a youtube video where Ken Hill talked about the DRC's and said he was running 28 f/r hot off the track. I'm running what I think is a solid I pace and I'm hesitant to move up to a "racier" tire for a few reasons -
I feel like I would learn more if I don't have a tire thats going to mask my mistakes.
I'm also not sure I could keep a more advanced tire hot enough to really work.
I also don't have tire warmers.
Keeping the trye hot enough is all based on what pressure you are running. If your running a good I pace then the trye is probably plenty hot. Not heating it up enough it can be adjusted with a few pounds. Say the tech sheet says 27 hot, it's just about keeping it at that pressure. If you heat them up a little more then the pressure will increase thus requiring a slight drop in pressure. A more advanced trye is not going to mask your mistakes. It just might leave room for a little bit of error. If it masked them then you would not know you are making them. Running warmers extends the life of the trye, among other things, by not forcing a full cool down before heating back up. There are a few threads about the advantages of the warmers and I would recomend reading them. Even if you choose not to use them, there is a tun of good info on tryes and what not. I do run warmers and beyond the life part of the trye, I like to hammer down right out of the box. Also it's easier to adjust pressures on the warmers rather than trying to run back to the pit (or have a friend check right off the track) or setting them cold. Just keep in mind that the warmers might heat them up more. Another point to look at is the simple fact that a street/track trye will only do so much. There will be a point when you need to move up in quality. If and when you do you will not regret it. Good luck.

BTW- Your mind set about what and why your H.S. happened is good. Just don't blame the tryes or pressures completely :)

JohnS

I have been running them at 33 hot front and rear and have never had them slide. Last set I ran 7 days and took them off because they were too close to the wear indicators and worn out round.

needasixr

bronsonj;207088 wrote: Resurrecting an oldish thread.
Jim, hope you are feeling better after your highside. When you weren't moving, you had us scared.
I run 29 front and 26 rear (cold) on the DRC's. They are 32 and 31 hot (usually). Other than spinning up the back in Turn 6 at the top of the hill on Saturday (which everyone was doing for some reason), I never had an issue. Hope that helps.

bronsonj

needasixr;207181 wrote: Jim, hope you are feeling better after your highside. When you weren't moving, you had us scared.
I run 29 front and 26 rear (cold) on the DRC's. They are 32 and 31 hot (usually). Other than spinning up the back in Turn 6 at the top of the hill on Saturday (which everyone was doing for some reason), I never had an issue. Hope that helps.
Larry, I feel pretty good considering. I was afraid to move at first not because I couldn't but because I hit my back pretty hard and was taking inventory. The last thing I wanted to do was get up if I ought to have been on a back board. Thankfully that was not the case.

I actually did not have any problems at turn 6. I guess being new to that track, I didn't have the confidence to go through there too quickly:)