Problem Starting 08 GSX-R600

TeamBeer

I am looking for some help diagnosing a weird intermittent start problem. About half the time when I press the start button nothing happens. Sometimes if I release the clutch (pull it in and let go) it will start. Sometimes it just starts. It will bumo start and sometinmes if that fails if I press the start button it starts right up. I am assuming that one of the safety switches if malfunctioning, but where do I start firguring out which one.

R1Baby

Control Rider
If you pull the clutch in and out a couple of times, and then it starts, could be the clutch switch. I would start there. Find out were the wires run and bypass the switch, see if the problem continues or goes away.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Don't eliminate the clutch switch permanently on many GSXR's. It puts them in a de-tuned state with the ECU. The clutch switch itself could be the culprit, or possibly the sidestand switch.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
bigkaley;246962 wrote: Don't eliminate the clutch switch permanently on many GSXR's. It puts them in a de-tuned state with the ECU. The clutch switch itself could be the culprit, or possibly the sidestand switch.
Yup, I've read this in many different places....gixxers need the clutch switch.

TeamBeer

I really don't want to disable it. I was just trying to eliminate it as a problem. I am going to open the throttle switch tonight and see if there is any corrosion. It did spend some time in the rain at the track and on the trailer.