Question on boots purchase: Want to get a pair that will last a long time, replaceable sole?

Luggageboy

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered in the past but I was not having much luck with the search function on this particular topic:

Are there boots that anybody runs where the soles are replaceable? I would like to invest in a good quality boot that I could replace the sole part of the boot due to peg wear. I remember maybe 2 seasons ago talking to CR Glen that he had purchased a type of boot where sole replacement could be done individually but I can't remember the type of boot.

I don't mind spending more upfront money to get a quality boot that can last me a few seasons down the road. The idea of paying $300+ for a boot that is going to be perfectly fine except for a worn out hole in the ball of the foot portion of the sole is not appealing. However, if a $300 boot with a $50 replaceable sole was an option I could do at the end of every season that would be great.

My current set of boots (Sidi) is suffering from this condition where the sole is worn so thin in one particular area where the footpeg usually sits that they are no longer wearable. The boots themselves are in great condition, but the cost to have them professionally "re-soled" is essentially the price of the boots I paid for in the first place.

I appreciate any and all feedback,
Thanks.

Greg ZX6R

Resole.com replaced the soles on my sidi boots for 99 bucks. Better than replacing the pair of boots for 300 or more.

borislav

Control Rider
Alpinestars USA will replace soles on their product. They did my SUPERTECH R for $70 year and half ago and also replaced toe and heel sliders for free.

motorkas

Since you're already wearing Sidi's - the Vortice's are the ones with the replaceable sole insert - it's 30.00 (the insert - the boots are 495.00); the least expensive option is "Shoe goo" - 5.00 (got me through 2 seasons without having to replace boots - you'll have to keep filling it in periodically but that is the cheapest route- still keep a tube with my gear.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I thought were was a model of Sidi that had a replaceable insert, Kas knew which model!

I'd heard Sidis were notorious for soles wearing quickly.

I have the Alpinestar Supertech Rs. Maybe I'm not as hard on the soles for some reason, but I got something like 5- 6 years out of a pair, and the soles weren't worn through. They had the "peg divot" in them, but didn't even really need replacing. As Bo mentioned, Astars resoles for about $70.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The old Vortex pegs were notorious for gouging boot soles...I think they reduced the "spikes" on their footpegs. Since I use woodcraft I don't a serious problem, don't have quite the same level of grip either, so pick your poison.

Luggageboy

I have the vortex pegs, which are gnarly with spikes but my foot never slips so I like them. Looks like the SIDI boots soles linked above only work for every model EXCEPT for vortice, sigh

motorkas

That's because the Vortice soles are designed to replace only the portion of the sole that rests on the rear sets. . .The whole sole isn't needed. . .

mjkuhno

Note that A* is now charging $100 to resole their boots. About to send my old pair of Supertech R's out now.

They're super comfortable!

prplppleatr239

These are my Sidi boots. About 5 yrs old. Paid $300 new, and just got them back from resole.com for new soles. They charged $100, and it took about two weeks door-to-door. That includes a prepaid shipping label.

Besides new soles, they get a good cleaning and leather conditioner at the end of the season and that's it.

The rear sets on your bike will play a factor in how long your boots last. I noticed mine wore much more quickly after switching from stock to Woodcraft.

4d68ddc09bb3f122d4613f2cedee655e.jpg

0fbcc03b14a02e436c943b7ecd04c387.jpg

142303ba393c4cf97b1bebe66695e8a5.jpg