R1 Loud pop and No power

Blinky

I had a 2007 Yamaha R1 in my garage parked. I had a battery tender plugged in the battery and it had gone un started for about a month or so during this heat wave. Yesterday I pulled the bike out and unplugged the battery tender. I turned the key and all lights and dash displays turned on as normal. When I pressed the starter button, I heard a pop (like electrical) and then all power went out. I checked the fuses on the left side box and all appear ok. I checked the 50 AMP main fuse and it appears ok. TO be safe i changed all those fuses and still no power.
The battery JR indicated the battery is charged. No smoke or smell of burnt was detected. The battery is the OEM from 2007 but it has never given me any issues.

The only wierd thing is I unplugged the battery and just left it on the battery tender for a day. The next day when i reattached the terminals and turned the key, the green nuetral light came on momentarily and then i heard that wierd popping noise and again no power. Turned the key off and on and nothing again.

Any ideas about what happened? Any help would be appreciated. I know its difficult with just an above description.

Thanks for the help!!

R1Baby

Control Rider
Even though the battery my show charged, you could have lost a cell inside it. So the battery does not have the required cranking amps to start the bike. Battery is five years old, that is about the shelf life for one.. Get it tested or get a new one.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
R1Baby;248161 wrote: Even though the battery my show charged, you could have lost a cell inside it. So the battery does not have the required cranking amps to start the bike. Battery is five years old, that is about the shelf life for one.. Get it tested or get a new one.
Stupid simple way to test your battery if you want to verify it's the battery before pulling it out (Some can be a PITA)

Get a voltmeter, and put it on the leads of the battery. Try starting the bike. If the voltage drops below 10.5, the battery is shot. It should be around 12.6 with the ignition off, and a decent battery won't drop below 11 volts. Same principle can be appiled to cars.

If you're not getting any dash lights or anything when you turn the key on...yeah, my guess is the battery, especially if you've already verified the fuses are good.

Blinky

i will forward this to my buddy - he used my account for posting. I told him I had a voltmeter but he said he is pretty sure it wasn't the battery, but since I'm not there to help him its hard for me to say whats going on for him.

I'm going to guess he wanted to know what the loud electrical pop could have been if it wasn't a fuse blowing...

zangman

Possibly a loose ground connection. Might want to trace that down and check it to make sure it is tight. Had a similar thing happen before.

Blinky

thanks Zangman, i'm going to help him this weekend. He just checked with a new battery and same thing.

Ruhe52

Good call Zang. Had an R6 do same thing ground bolt on engine came out and the pop was arch across a ground about 1/4 inch above motor. Pop and nada. Found another bolt. Locktite and like Joe Walsh said life's been good to me so far

Roll it down to the curb, put sign out free to a good home, and go buy yourself a BMW s1000rr and call it a day. ;p

See how easy that was.

LUCKEDUCK

Sounds like you may have a bad cell on the battery... Mine did the same exact thing it even registered 12 v when I unhooked the tender then thru the switch on and pop and no power but the green neutral light would just flicker.... Sounds to me like it's time for an new battery.. You can check it after u take it off the tender by checking the volts with a meter then turn the key on and hit the switch then check the volts again if it's really low then there's your problem...