R6 guys I need advice

Unbroken13

Ok.. I put the m4 street slayer on my 2010r6... With y pipe... And gutted cat material from headers... I rode it with a downloaded map and no baffle... It's loud but not extreme... I'm getting the bike dyno and mapped next week... I may try racing this year... From what I read there is a decibel limit of 105dba... I do not have a real decibal meter but I downloaded a app for my iPhone and its reading 101dba.. I don't have the extra cash at the moment for 2 different maps...
So do any of y'all run the same exhaust? Shorty no baffle? Have you raced with it??

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Don't think I've ever seen anyone actually measuring noise from any specific bike at any race or track day, either.

But I find it hypocritical that Laguna Seca has people essentially run their stock exhausts..but when WSBK or MotoGP come to town....they're allowed to run their open exhausts.

Then again, if I lived near any racing facility, I wouldn't find that sound annoying. :D And I understand that I'm biased in that regard.

Kruizen

Control Rider
My exhaust is pretty loud, and so far I haven't had issues at any of the tracks(knock on wood) mid-Atlantic and north.

I've created a deflector that I can screw into the end of my exhaust to divert sound down/other side if needed, as I understand most track measure from a fixed position a distance from the track , on one side of the track or the other. So you won't be able to measure with the same perameters as them anyways.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Of the tracks I've been to (NJMP, Beave/Pittrace, Summit, NYST, VIR) I have not seen anyone nicked for loud exhaust. They all have posted dB limits, but I have not seen enforcement, even with people that have open headers (there's a few). As long as you have some sort of muffler, I wouldn't sweat it.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
What Steve-o said…although I don't have a R6 with the M4 pipe, I've gutted my canister many years ago and my bike is loud!! Neve had an issue…

D-Zum

vinny337;299516 wrote: What Steve-o said…although I don't have a R6 with the M4 pipe, I've gutted my canister many years ago and my bike is loud!! Neve had an issue…
Darned Toootin' it's LOUD! I knew EXACTLY when you were coming past me last year! :D

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
D-Zum;299519 wrote: Darned Toootin' it's LOUD! I knew EXACTLY when you were coming past me last year! :D
Haha, D, you were rolling pretty good last year!!

D-Zum

vinny337;299521 wrote: Haha, D, you were rolling pretty good last year!!
I bounced pretty good last year, too. :banghead:

D-Zum

Unbroken13;299524 wrote: Lol.. Y'all ain't right
It's all about havin' fun Amigo.

I made a BIG mistake last year, and it almost cost me. But, I'm here, I'm healed up, and I can laugh about it now and chalk it up to a BIG lesson learned.

At the end of the day, that's ALL that matters.

Unbroken13

I haven't met you dzum.. Read a lot of your posts and seen a lot of pics of you... Lol... But I also watched your crash... Scary.. Hope tower ya this year.. It's nice to see someone have a bad crash and get back on the bike... I'm assuming your gonna ride again??

D-Zum

Unbroken13;299544 wrote: I haven't met you dzum.. Read a lot of your posts and seen a lot of pics of you... Lol... But I also watched your crash... Scary.. Hope tower ya this year.. It's nice to see someone have a bad crash and get back on the bike... I'm assuming your gonna ride again??
Going to try..been working through some other issues in my life the last year as well (divorce). I had some health issues in '11 and '12, then the crash in 13, but things seem to be coming around and I don't think I've felt this good in over 5 years.

Not sure what I needed more..a lawyer or a doctor. ;-)

But my goal is that when the day comes I decide to leave this sport, I do it on MY terms..not in the back of an ambulance.

D-Zum

griffonrider;299560 wrote: Are you coming back to RA this year? Ya gotta revisit the scene of the crime ya know.:D
It's definitely under consideration.

Meat

Jennings is the only track that I have personally been to that they have said something about someone's exhaust being too loud. I have seen it a couple of times there, but nowhere else.

leanangler

Control Rider
D-Zum;299507 wrote: But I find it hypocritical that Laguna Seca has people essentially run their stock exhausts..but when WSBK or MotoGP come to town....they're allowed to run their open exhausts.
Darin,

I hear you, it is very hypocritical, but beings I'm from the NorCal area, I gotta throw out a couple of details that some folks might not know.
Laguna Seca is owned and operated by Monterrey County, so it is not a privately owned racetrack. The unfortunate fallout from that is the local county voters have a large say in what happens at the track and when. Several years ago they passed a county measure that only 6 events per year can exceed the 92 db limit. (motogp, wsbk, ama, indy car, the car historic races and one other event I can't remember). The long and the short of it is, every other event must meet the sound restriction.

I've ridden Laguna many times with 2 different Orgs and everybody has to abide by the same rules. The County actually has a paid employee to sit in a little air conditioned shack on the outside of turn 5 where they have a decibel meter installed. All the Orgs have a 1 strike policy, if black flagged you get one chance of fixing the bike to be compliant. Second strike = pack your $hit and go home.

The other unfortunate part of Laguna (which is one of the reasons why MotoGP didn't sign a new contract, SPORT RIDER mag did a great article on it ~last month) is that any proceeds that the track generates feeds the Moterrey County general fund. Those funds do not get channelled back into the track facility, which is why some of the buildings and infrastructure are literally falling down. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely my favorite track to ride, but to do it, you have to throw on the stocker and do it.