Race fairings + slip on exhaust?

Quickone4u

I have a yosh R-55 slip on my 2007 gsxr 600 and I'm looking for race fairings for this season but, I've seen where there was mention of fitment issues with race fairings and slip ons? Is this the case with all brands of pairings? How severe is it and how much work is required to work around it? Planning to race this year as well in case that influences the work around. Thanks.

JVance

The 06/07 slip-on should replace the catalytic converter. Does the yosh slip-on you hae use a mid-muffler? What you need is a slip on that will go straight from the header to the can with no mid-muffler of catatytic converter.

JVance

Just googled the R55 and it looks like it has the mid-muffler and the loop. I had a different yosh slip-on but my lower would not go around that mid-muffler. I ended up using some automotive exhaust parts from advanced auto and removing the mid-muffler thingy and piping it straight to the loop part. The loop didn't seem to cause a problem.

Quickone4u

JVance;299600 wrote: Just googled the R55 and it looks like it has the mid-muffler and the loop. I had a different yosh slip-on but my lower would not go around that mid-muffler. I ended up using some automotive exhaust parts from advanced auto and removing the mid-muffler thingy and piping it straight to the loop part. The loop didn't seem to cause a problem.
Ahh crap!:banghead::banghead: Yep, has the mid muffler. Guess I will be going the same route as you then. Wouldn't happen to remember what size piping you used for that would you? How did you hook it up? Weld? Clamps? Thanks!

JVance

I carried the parts into the autoparts store and ended up wit a reducer and a length of the flexible pipe. If I remember correctly I clamped the flexible pipe at the header, cut the flexi-pipe to about the same length ans the mid muffler, clamped the reducer thingy in the flexi-pipe and slid the big end of the reducer(enlarger, depending on how you look at it) over the loop and stuck a couple sheet metal screws through it (putting some high temp silicone in the joint). It was ugly as sin but it worked and you can't see it with the belly pan on anyway.

Quickone4u

JVance;299602 wrote: I carried the parts into the autoparts store and ended up wit a reducer and a length of the flexible pipe. If I remember correctly I clamped the flexible pipe at the header, cut the flexi-pipe to about the same length ans the mid muffler, clamped the reducer thingy in the flexi-pipe and slid the big end of the reducer(enlarger, depending on how you look at it) over the loop and stuck a couple sheet metal screws through it (putting some high temp silicone in the joint). It was ugly as sin but it worked and you can't see it with the belly pan on anyway.
Thanks for the details. May look into that and may look into seeing what a shop could rig up as well since I don't have the tools. Wondering how difficult it would be to work with the bodywork though? Any insight on how tuff that would be? Was just looking on Yoshimuras site and even the full exhaust has that dang mid muffler. What's up with that crap?! Did you alter your fuel module after this change?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have an '07 gsxr and the Yosh R-55 slipon. It fits fine. When I originally ordered, the lower didn't fit; but it hit the lowest part of the stock headers, not the slipon. I have Armour Bodies, and they redesigned them so they fit fine. It is close, so I lined the bottom of the lower with some of the stick-on heat shield and have had no problems. I can't speak to other brands, but Armour Bodies fits.

Unless things have changed, if you call Woodcraft directly to order and give them your nesba membership number, they knock off a hundred bucks.

JVance

Very well may be bodywork dependent. I had optimal on mine which is cheap bodywork but it did the job just fine. Get the bodywork first and figure it out as you go. I don't think it would have been possible to modify mine to make it fit.

Quickone4u

HondaGalToo;299608 wrote: I have an '07 gsxr and the Yosh R-55 slipon. It fits fine. When I originally ordered, the lower didn't fit; but it hit the lowest part of the stock headers, not the slipon. I have Armour Bodies, and they redesigned them so they fit fine. It is close, so I lined the bottom of the lower with some of the stick-on heat shield and have had no problems. I can't speak to other brands, but Armour Bodies fits.

Unless things have changed, if you call Woodcraft directly to order and give them your nesba membership number, they knock off a hundred bucks.
Thanks for the info Judy!

Quickone4u

JVance;299610 wrote: Very well may be bodywork dependent. I had optimal on mine which is cheap bodywork but it did the job just fine. Get the bodywork first and figure it out as you go. I don't think it would have been possible to modify mine to make it fit.
Dangit John....all you're bringing me is bad news lol! I was planning to go with the Optimal fairings due to being cheap:banghead: I'm considering just throwing in the cash and going with Armor bodies though because I would prefer not to deal with the headache of making something work. Oh, the woes of being a broke track day rider hopefully soon to be racer lol! Thanks for the input from you both!

Quickone4u

JVance;299610 wrote: Very well may be bodywork dependent. I had optimal on mine which is cheap bodywork but it did the job just fine. Get the bodywork first and figure it out as you go. I don't think it would have been possible to modify mine to make it fit.
John, where was your exhaust causing the problem with the lower fairing? Just curious with Judy mentioning hers was closer to the header and not really a problem at the mini muffler.

JVance

Definitely had issues around the mini-exhaust. I had Armorbodies on before the Optimal and it is better glass BUT I hated the tail that came with the Armorbodies. They used the same tail for the 1000 and 600/750 and I don't like the way it fit the 600/750. They may have a tail specifically for the 600 now though. With the Armorbodies I always had issues with the header burning a hole in the lower, too. For the $$ I can't complain about Optimal. It is kind of stiff and heavy but cheap and finished decent enough for race glass. The yosh slip-on design just sucks for that year gsxr. They do have a version with no mini-muffler I think. Their customer service is great. I'd give them a call and see if the make a pipe to replace the mini muffler and loop. Or just look for a different slip-on.

Quickone4u

Thanks again John! I'll definitely get in touch with Yosh and see if they make a mid pipe. Depending on their answer and the price if they do will probably decide which route I go with the fairings. I'll update the thread with the info and results once I get everything set up.