Racebody work advice

JBowen33

I'm looking to get racebody work for my ducati. Armour bodies wants 700 not painted and not drilled. I found a company on eBay that makes racebody work for 500 it comes painted and holes are pre drilled. It's a company in Hong Kong called motogp888. Anybody have imput on this? Any advice would be great. Thanks

matt2212

Swenson gets my vote

As for advice.... Cheep bodywork is just that

You have a Ducati for a track bike if you are worried about the cost of bodywork maybe you should rethink your bike choice, just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJZOCC624

Which Ducati?

If it's a 999/749, the upper from ArmourBodies is the 05/06 mold ONLY, which will work on a 03/04, but you have to order the windscreen for 05/06... just FYI.

Some of the bodywork coming out of China is actually pretty good. PM sideburn34 on here. I know he's ordered some of the street replica bodywork for project bikes, and he's been impressed with it. Don't know WHICH seller on eBay he's used though. Also check on ducati.ms as some of those guys have used those kits from China and have been happy with them as well. I doubt, however, that they will crash as well as AB or Sharkskinz.

PJZOCC624

matt2212;285092 wrote:
You have a Ducati for a track bike if you are worried about the cost of bodywork maybe you should rethink your bike choice, just a thought
Bodywork is roughly the same (+/- MAYBE $100) for AB as it is (or was) when I priced it out for the R6.

And, I never understood the sentiment that those who ride/race a Ducati should be willing and able to spend unlimited funds on their bike BECAUSE it's a Duc. If I can save $200 on bodywork that's workable (or a fairing stay, or rear shock, or rearsets), that's $200 I can spend on a trackday!

Just sayin'...

:D

D-Swens

I wouldn't touch that ebay crap for free. I've mounted/fitted more than a dozen sets of that stuff, and work with A LOT of shop owners who have worked with similar and more amounts.

The stuff is pure crap. In all fairness, the paint is actually impressive considering the price (not actually good, just considering how cheap it is, its better than I thought it would be), but the bodywork itself is really crappy. I know there are a few people here and there that will say they had a good set, but ask any professional and they usually can't say enough bad things about it.

The street bodywork doesn't line up well at all, panels have uneven edges, headlight holes are too wide/thin, OEM tabs break off because they are bonded after the molds. The plastic itself is a cheaper, more brittle ABS than OEM bodywork.

While I think this is a bad choice for street bodywork, I think it is a HORRIBLE choice for race bodywork. That stuff will shatter and crack all up the first time you go down...and thats it. Not really worth the effort it takes to repair plastic.

D-Swens

PJZOCC624;285111 wrote: Bodywork is roughly the same (+/- MAYBE $100) for AB as it is (or was) when I priced it out for the R6.

And, I never understood the sentiment that those who ride/race a Ducati should be willing and able to spend unlimited funds on their bike BECAUSE it's a Duc. If I can save $200 on bodywork that's workable (or a fairing stay, or rear shock, or rearsets), that's $200 I can spend on a trackday!

Just sayin'...

I completely get that. I don't think he was implying the OP should always spend more money on his duc, just that they can be expensive to own and maintain ...and performance parts are generally more expensive. Save money if you can, just BE PREPARED to spend more if you ride a Duc, esp a 9 series.

D-Swens

...AND if it helps, I discount the pricing of ArmourBodies through my shop, so they are A LOT cheaper than $699.
I even beat the NESBA member discount.

And you don't have to have them painted, I sell/ship new unpainted sets every week.

PM, email, or call if you want discounted pricing, which makes them a better deal than the ebay stuff...

PJZOCC624

D-Swens;285112 wrote:
The stuff is pure crap. . . . That stuff will shatter and crack all up the first time you go down...and thats it. Not really worth the effort it takes to repair plastic.
Yup, agreed that the construction is not what AB puts out, and they won't crash well. But have seen a couple sets that look good and mounted up pretty well actually. Should've qualified my comments by saying the China stuff is not close to the quality of ArmourBodies. And yes, it's a crap shoot as far as fitment. Maybe Donnie got lucky :dunno:

That said, OP get the ArmourBodies. I did.
And have Drew paint it. I am.

matt2212

D-Swens;285113 wrote: I completely get that. I don't think he was implying the OP should always spend more money on his duc, just that they can be expensive to own and maintain ...and performance parts are generally more expensive. Save money if you can, just BE PREPARED to spend more if you ride a Duc, esp a 9 series.

And you said it better than I did,

Sorry I didn't mean to imply " you have a Ducati spend all your money"

I was saying if the cost is a big deal then maybe a Ducati is not the best choice
I thought of suggesting an sv 650 in my original post because of the surplus of inexpensive parts... and I should have then it would have made my post clearer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBowen33

Yea my Ducati is expensive but it is my favorite bike ie ever owned. I didn't buy it as a track bike initially. I bought it for the street realized it was to much bike for the street to have fun with, brought it to the track and realized that is where that bike is at home at. I took most of the stock parts off and replaced them with more "cost" friendly rear sets, clip ons, etc... My next step is the body work. Now I know I could get a beater track bike but I fell in love with this bike and it's performance/handling on the track so I don't want a beater.....

Now that is out of the way lol I appreciate everyone's help with this. I am very new to the track seen as this is my first season doing it! Any other advice on the matter is appreciated!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
JBowen33;285234 wrote: Yea my Ducati is expensive but it is my favorite bike ie ever owned. I didn't buy it as a track bike initially. I bought it for the street realized it was to much bike for the street to have fun with, brought it to the track and realized that is where that bike is at home at. I took most of the stock parts off and replaced them with more "cost" friendly rear sets, clip ons, etc... My next step is the body work. Now I know I could get a beater track bike but I fell in love with this bike and it's performance/handling on the track so I don't want a beater.....

Now that is out of the way lol I appreciate everyone's help with this. I am very new to the track seen as this is my first season doing it! Any other advice on the matter is appreciated!
It's like having a super model as your girlfriend, buying her a new Benz to drive around in...and you take her to McDonald's to go out to eat to save a few bucks. You just don't do it...

I was real cheap ( excuse me, "bargain shopping") like you initially looking for bodywork for my R6. Settled on Armour Bodies, and will probably go with Sharkskinz next time. You get what you pay for. Doesn't seem like a place you'd need to spend money in, until you realize the amount of preventative maintenance you do, and you touch the body work every single time. Worked on a number of friends with e-bay and Hotbodies bodywork, and it's like pulling teeth putting that crap back together every single time.

JBowen33;285234 wrote: Yea my Ducati is expensive but it is my favorite bike ie ever owned. I didn't buy it as a track bike initially. I bought it for the street realized it was to much bike for the street to have fun with, brought it to the track and realized that is where that bike is at home at. I took most of the stock parts off and replaced them with more "cost" friendly rear sets, clip ons, etc... My next step is the body work. Now I know I could get a beater track bike but I fell in love with this bike and it's performance/handling on the track so I don't want a beater.....

I know exactly where your head is concerning the Ducati!!!! I don't think there is a middle ground when it comes to those bikes. You either love em or hate em. Yes, they are expensive to own and maintain. However, nothing I have ever ridden comes close to the way that bike handles. I love the sound of my exhaust cans and my noisy dry clutch. I did opt for the AB bodywork and had a painter buddy match the original Ducati red for it. I even spent another $75 for the stock factory stickers. I have replaced all the stock stuff (rear sets, levers, clutch, shifter.....the list goes on) with more track oriented stuff. I know it's more expensive and I don't really give a damn. A nameless CR once told me that he'd never seen a safety deposit box on a coffin. Me either. I did take the advice to get a 600 so I could learn more about riding on track. It looks good next to my Duc. Especially since it's painted the same shade of red. :D

Your Duc and you are always welcome to pit with us two stroke owners. We understand riding 'unique' and the sound of dry clutches :cool:

BZ

whitarnold

motofairing.com is the way to go. mounts great and crashes well. comes well packaged. godfatherracing.com is growing in likes!

codeblue11

I've got Optimal bodywork for my CBR600 and have been very happy with it so far. It arrived very fast...I received it exactly 4 days after my order. Crash tested and still fully in tact.

If you've got a race license they'll also give you 10% off.

jsin38

Sharskinz. Fitted their stuff to the 851 for some "Walter Mitty" time a few seasons ago and it was a breeze. Got it painted Ducati red with white number plates and some Agip stickers for the side fairings. Looks the business and they were super quick with delivery.

cooker1

Bodywork is way overrated after 2 yrs of racing and f#cking with the fairings on my SV I am going naked with just the belly pan ! I have had AB and SS some SV specific others TL but after last CCS race which my bodywork cost me 2nd place I am done with it ! I can understand you guys on faster bikes where wind resistance may make a difference but really if not racing whats the use ? I have seen a lot of Ducs that race with just a BP and windscreen !