Rear brake pads touching the rotor

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It could also be that while pushing the piston in, it got a little crooked and scored the piston. That will not allow the pressure to release, basically holding the brake pressure, resulting in the hot rotor.

Had it happen on a car a number of years ago. Smelled something funny, and when I stopped, the front left wheel was smoking fiercely. Luckily it didn't catch fire.

R6_Fred

Quick update: after making sure all of the bushings were in correctly, the rear brakes weren't still sitting properly and part of the pads was touching against the rotor, which created a lot of heat even without using the rear brakes. So I took it into the service shop to get the fluids flushed and have them look at the calipers. The tech tried to lube everything, bleed the system a couple of times, but the brakes never sat flush. He said he'll have to take the calipers apart and look at the piston to see if it's crooked (like Steve-O said above).

At the end of the day, he didn't clear me for the track on Sat :(

But not to worry... my man Ruhe hooked me up for the same event on July 7th, so I'm good :)

Quick question - is it worth trying to get the piston to align right or to simply replace the entire rear caliper itself?

R6_Fred

I would too. They are going to charge me by the hour anyway to open up the caliper to find out what happened; so if the tech spends an hour on it and then concludes that I need a new caliper, that's an hour's worth of labor charge that I've wasted :(

Where do you guys go for brake parts? I usually don't trust ebay unless it's from a reputed seller.

Ruhe52

What are they charging by the hour? A caliper rebuild is not that tough to do. Get a rebuild kit and tear into that beotch yourself!!!!!

R6_Fred

They haven't told me what they are going to charge for the rebuild, but they usually charge about $85 / hour for labor. I was trying to get an idea of how much a new caliper will cost and some of the prices I've seen for rear caliper kits range between $160 - $200.

I didn't know that there was such a thing as a caliper rebuilt kit Mike, so I'm going to stay clear of that one for now :). I was just really bummed out about missing out on Sat, but I'm so glad NESBA decided to come to RA twice this year! Again, thanks for the hookup for the 7th.

Amac955

Buy a used rear caliper on Ebay. They go for like $15. Some of them are even complete systems with the master cylinder so you may not even have to purge/bleed them.

R6_Fred

Thanks for the input guys, but I got lazy and just wanted to get it done fast. So I ordered the part through Lawrenceville Yamaha and they are going to get everything done for me. I usually do all of this myself, but this time, I just wanted to get it done quickly so that I can have the bike back in time for the next session with NESBA (on July 7th).

Appreciate the input and advice from everyone; hope to see you all on July 7th.

- Fred