Recommended starting bike

ksmit03

So I am looking to get started with track days but I can't decide where I should start when it comes to a bike, mostly on size. I've been riding for 12 years, but mostly on Harley's, and I haven't ridden a sport bike in 10 years, my first being a GSX-R 600.

My dilemma being is should I start out on something like a Kawasaki 300 which would be something good to learn on or should I just start out with a 600cc bike. Also I follow bikes on the forums and wonder should I find a bike in town and start from scratch and set the bike up as I go to what I like or would finding a track day bike already set up be the better way to go?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
A 6o0 would be fine for you. The 300 would be fine, but I think you'll be wanting a lot more top end at a lot of the tracks N2 runs. A nice "transition" bike might even be a SV650. You'll find the v-twin power delivery to be familiar. They are extremely popular bikes to track ride and race.

Finding a bike already set up for track use is by far the best way to go. You don't have to find one that's built up in full race trim, there are plenty out there that have nice aftermarket pieces but are still street legal. That'd allow you to get more seat time on a sport oriented machine before jumping out on the track with it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree completely with Otto Man. Can't think of anything to add except come ride with us! And do read the Riders' Manual, if you haven't already. It will go over a lot of important information that will help you get started.

Welcome!

Goldie

Yea start on a 600cc. You'll see many of us who has been riding the track for years still prefer the 600cc bike. Its a good all around bike with plenty of Vroooom. Well at least my ZX6R does. Can't really say the same for the GSXR, CBR, or R6 as they always seem to be in my rear view. Just sayin.... KAWI#1 ....lol

Sean Jordan

Start on an SV650 - it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. There are tons of track-ready bikes out there, they are easier on tires, and they'll teach you to rely on corner speed instead of HP to get around the track quickly.

It's also a lot more fun once you work your way up to the Advanced group and you're passing 600s and 1000s. :)

rk97

What you should start on depends on your goals and budget.

lower-powered bikes force you to work a lot harder to make class-legal passes. That can be frustrating, but it does make you learn. If truly improving your skills as a rider are the top priority, then an SV650 with cartridge emulators and a good shock is what you want.

If your primary goal is to have fun and go fast, then just buy a set up 600. I like the late 90's and early 2000's 600's because you can find them for stupid-cheap (relatively speaking) and they're more capable than I will ever be...

For what it's worth, I still sold my 600 when I out-paced my tire budget. I was racing the 600 2-3 times a season and getting in 1-2 track days. Now I race my XR100 ten times a year and practice whenever I want. I'd like to think I could be back up to speed on a 600 by lunch. low power and crap suspension really let you get a lot of practice riding near (and often past) the bike's limits.

GarrisonB

BMWS1000RR HP4

/Thread

Kidding OP ;)

Now I race my XR100 ten times a year and practice whenever I want. I'd like to think I could be back up to speed on a 600 by lunch. low power and crap suspension really let you get a lot of practice riding near (and often past) the bike's limits.

Plus you don't risk high-siding yourself to the moon.

I'm gonna have to second the SV650 vote. You will learn so much in a safer environment; and if/when you finally do step it up to a 600/750/1000 you're going to be able to put a lot of what you've learned about setting your line and passing to good use. Throttle control will be something new though!:D