Returning to the track a proper entrance

LuckyinVA

It's been a couple of weeks now and the crash I caused had been on my mind more often then I'd like. Honestly the entire weekend was a series of drama, bad judgment calls and in the end an epic fail for what a track day should be. Upon entering the forum I found I was already on youtube.com and the hot topic of how to be an asshole while disobeying (intentionally or not) rules and making illegal passes. I was angry as shit for someone having made a very similar type pass on me the very same weekend. While nothing I can say will make it go away and no action I can take will undo what I did I do have a huge apology on my chest to my fellow riders and acquaintances if you will.

I tried to be of help that day. I wanted badly to succeed and continue on a path of progression with my riding. Having the liter bike is not really my choice but due to circumstances I am stuck paying for it and I want to ride so I use what I have. I feel like the biggest hurdle for me now is coming back out there and finding the right niche. I am generally a social person and the kind of person that would give the shirt off my back to help a total stranger out. As it stands I returned from that weekend having lost a few friends I really didn't want to lose and I made life pretty difficult for me. I enjoy coming to the track and hanging out with everyone that shares in love of bikes and track riding. I have no desire to return to a wall of glaring eyeballs to add to what can already be a stressful time. Yeah getting out there and learning is one thing but wanting to get better adds a pressure that I have a hard time explaining.

While I have made my apologies, at least to Paul, the other rider I still don't know who that is but all the same I'd like to apologize to him/her as well. Additionally I would like to apologize to Barry and the other CR's for simply failing to hear them out. I was actually pretty angry, mainly about what what happened but also just generally pissed that it all came down on me. Now I know Paul has made his peace with me and well the others from the weekend I probably won't ever change their opinion but what comes next for me is the mystery.

How does one come back in face of all this and do it right? I mean I'm a Marine, I've dealt with fear and overcome obsticles but what I don't want is for this to junk up my brain to the point I can't enjoy the experience. We pay hard earned money to do these track days and to have the machines we do. While I know I cant make it all right in a forum what exactly makes the proper entrance upon having this type of incident? I mean I was one of many red flags and even violators during the day. Do I show up and go straight to the NESBA trailer and get the violator t shirt? I mean honestly I just want to get back out there an ride under the rules and get the kind of experience I had before this happened. What I'm getting at here is I made the mistake, I've paid some dues but what of coming back and how does this get handled. I'm certain I ask this question for myself but thought perhaps there is someone else who's had a similar issue and chose not to. I'd rather just ask.. Where do I go from here?

If the answer is a PM I understand but the premise for asking is to better air and understand the way with this sorta thing should be dealt with.

So NESBA what comes next? :haha: :doh: :(

Tony A

Lucky,
I cant speak for NESBA or anyone else.
But all your actions seem sincere, and you seem to have come out of this with a valuable lesson for yourself. Come and ride. you need a pit let me know.

rayten

Oorah!

You've done much more than anyone could reasonably expect. Most would tuck tail and run, especially once captured on video!! You owned it, learn from it, right face, and left foot first, FOOORWARD...., And if others can't except that, nothing you can do, I'll stand back to back with you....,

Ray,

(Ssgt USMC...., Tsgt USafr, (didn't see that happening!))

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
:agree:

As unfortunate as the incident was, things happen for a reason and sometimes that reason isn't revealed until later.

I was a victim of a similar incident years ago, so I'm a little sensitive to what happened. I wasn't injured (luckily), but it ruined my day, got into my head for a little while, and set me back for a minute in my own progression as a rider.

As far as I'm concerned, it's in the past. I think you'll use this experience to become a better track day rider and progress through the levels, if that's your goal.

I'll have a beer in my cooler for you anytime. If you want to talk about the track or riding in general, I guarantee you I'll enjoy the conversation.

Be safe and have fun.

barry38

LuckyinVA;71207 wrote:

So NESBA what comes next? :haha: :doh: :(
You come back out to the track and ride with us. I would personally be happy to help you in any way that I can. I'll be at Summit in a couple weeks, then NJMP, then VIR. Hope to see you there!

beac83

It was a bad weekend for crashes and dumb stuff. You probably received more than your share of anger because of the video.

I understand about the anger. I had a similar incident in B group in the midwest region that weekend, which caused me to run off and go down in the weeds. Thankfully I wasn't hurt and the bike was rideable as well. But I was very angry over the incident. [I make enough foolish and dangerous mistakes on my own, I don't need any help!] Some of my posts reflected my anger as well.

You've posted your apologies publicly. You've spoken with the others you have contact info for and offered amends. You have done more than many would.

Come back and ride. You want to learn, and NESBA is the place for that. Come and learn from the CR's and from the others on the track and in the paddock. Apply the lessons learned to date and continue to improve. That's exactly why all of us are riding with NESBA. Come to ride, come to learn, come to have fun.

We can't change the past. We only can direct our own future. Decide where you are going from where you find yourself now, and make it happen.

It will take some time for a few to come around, but If you are true to your posts, they will. We all make mistakes out there. They can be costly. But if we want to learn and improve, we come back. Anger fades with time, and you will be OK. Your future actions will offset any past mistakes eventually.

Come back and ride. You already have an offer for pit-sharing. If you come to the MW region, you can pit with me.

pmupson

Get back on the horse and ride

Lucky, You know my feelings. It's over, forget the incident, just try to not make the same mistake again. I will be at Beaverun on 08/29. Your welcome to pit next to me if you want. I didn't die, I'm recovering quickly, so let both move on and have some fun!

Paul

FaceRace98

lucky, you have handled the situation in the best possible way. Don't worry about it, most of the people at the track probably havnt seen the video and have no idea who you are. The others who read the boards, realize how sorry you are and that you did everything in your power to make it right. you admitted your misteak and tried to make it right, I respect you for that.

during my second trackday I crashed & totaled my bike because i was riding over my head trying to prove to myself and everyone else how fast i was. Luckily i didn't take anyone out but it taught me a valuable lesson. It completly humbled my attitute and made me take a step back and concentrate on the weak points of my riding. Instead of pushing as hard as i could, i would work on lines, body position, smooth imputs...ect.

Just look at it as a learning expierence, and don't worry about what other people think. We all make misteaks. If you show with your riding that you learned from this incident it will quickly fade from peoples memories...

LuckyinVA

Looks to me like I got the answers I was looking for. Thanks for your responses and I will see you out there probably in Aug.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Riding on the track is a learning experience and sounds like you are trying to do that. We've all made mistakes. Stick with it and well see you out there soon

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Thank you Lucky for the apology. It seems like you've taken a lot from this. It was clear that you were faster then most out there, play by the rules and you will be with those of similar speed quickly. Good luck on the track. I'll be at VIR 8/23 & 24. If you're there come by & see me.

Again, Thanks.
Steve Bouvier, the guy that followed Paul off the track.

Revvin' Evan

What's done is done. You've done everything possible, and then some, to make things right. Good on you man. See you at the track.

Bring beer. :cheers:
^I'm going to have to agree with this statement:D

Trent1098S

Glad to see this ended on a good note for everyone! Our day in the Midwest was screwed up that day too. If you guys haven't started doing this, the second B meeting we started doing in the Midwest helped get everyone's head on straight after we started the day with a first session medical transport.

Those words Chad spoke that morning will ring in my ears each time I hit the track, to remind me of what we're responsible for out there - "One of the people that was here in the room with you all this morning is now in the trauma center at the ER."

It's not just about you, when you ride it's also about everyone else on the track - those other bikes & helmets you see are people that have jobs, families, kids...

Anyway, I give you props for doing what you've done man. Not an easy thing to do, but very worthy.

Peace.

jls223

Trent1098S;71879 wrote: Glad to see this ended on a good note for everyone! Our day in the Midwest was screwed up that day too. If you guys haven't started doing this, the second B meeting we started doing in the Midwest helped get everyone's head on straight after we started the day with a first session medical transport.

Those words Chad spoke that morning will ring in my ears each time I hit the track, to remind me of what we're responsible for out there - "One of the people that was here in the room with you all this morning is now in the trauma center at the ER."

It's not just about you, when you ride it's also about everyone else on the track - those other bikes & helmets you see are people that have jobs, families, kids...

Anyway, I give you props for doing what you've done man. Not an easy thing to do, but very worthy.

Peace.
:congrats:

Just get back out there lucky.

It sucks that people got hurt but I think that Nesba should also crack down alot as well.. Not only have I had riders pass me on yellow's, In turns right in front of control riders, Ive also had a control rider take the inside on me in mid turn of 10.. Yeah the CR have lots of experience and are far superior to riding then I am and prolly made a clean pass that in is mind was safe but it spooked me because I wasnt expecting it. It could of easily stood me up and put me in the dirt hurt me and totaled my bike . He literally did the exact same thing as you. I had a guy pass me on the inside of 10 AGAIN yesterday and the CR did nothing about it.. Only said something about it at the mid day meet. Yet I dont put my hand out right away and sit out a session (which is fine) I made an accidental mistake because i wasnt paying attention to a lazy guy that was hanging his flag instead of waving it, when he is 50ft off of the track. yet someone else made a blatant mistake and wasnt reprimanded for it.

so to you I say, get your ass out there, clear your head and ride.. If the two guys excepted your apology then to hell with everyone else.. :box:

Rock and roll brother!

A59

It is what we learn from and do about the mistakes we all make that is important. Way to man up, that's not easy. But neither is dealing with the fact that a mistake was made esp. when involving something as important as someone elses saftey or well being. This will pass, fortunately it was not an incident that would of burdened you for the rest of your life. You're welcome to pit w/ and ride w/ me any day, we'll see you at the track, where we all have to balance being fast and safe. Nesba and the people involved with them are great.
PS; looking forward to seeing you all at NJMP, (2nd) Beav, and Summit. it's been a while.

Folly1

This has been a good thread. It has offered a learning and healing opportunity for all, including those not involved.

Big props to those involved.

On a collateral point, the CR's in the SE will ride by class rules unless there is a reason not too, like chasing a perp. I have had CR's pass me on the inside but as soon as I get a glimpse of the orange, I relax, knowing that all is well with the world and I am not at risk. Our CR's are that good.

Again, big props to all. We can't learn by doing it right all of the time.

Ben.

Folly1;74600 wrote: This has been a good thread. It has offered a learning and healing opportunity for all, including those not involved.

Big props to those involved.

On a collateral point, the CR's in the SE will ride by class rules unless there is a reason not too, like chasing a perp. I have had CR's pass me on the inside but as soon as I get a glimpse of the orange, I relax, knowing that all is well with the world and I am not at risk. Our CR's are that good.

Again, big props to all. We can't learn by doing it right all of the time.

Ben.
I have to respectfully disagree.. I dont think it is EVER ok for a CR to pass on the inside.. Even if the CR was Rossi "the doctor" himself..

for me its not about making the pass clean and safe.. Its about the passe NOT being aware of it. I was one of the quickest in B group and it spooked me and almost stood me up.. When your not expecting it, Your first reaction is to avoid the collision (even if their isnt a potential for one) its just unsafe and a risk not worth taking for anything imo. This of course is only my opinion.

B riders can be skilled but 75% of them are very new and the track is a scary feeling, and unexpected scares dont help lol.