Road America 5/31 Videos (Beginner), one spill!

Mott Power

This was my first track day and I absolutely LOVED it! Met some great people and had a blast. Unfortunately my best session didn't record but here's some video of a few laps I did as well as a spill I had at T12... which was fairly pathetic, just went in too hot and locked up the rear and freaked out a little. I was also a bit nervous about passing and tried to leave a comfortable gap between people, and that damn wind was making me a little nervous on the straights. Anyways, I'm open to help or suggestions and look forward to seeing you all next time.

Some laps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkdE85z25FI

And the spill...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh0sL8VsSr8

-Adam

steve p

Glad you had a good first experience. There is a lot of things to critique in your video but non which I feel is more important than the safety of your fellow riders. When going back out onto a HOT track, especially after being in the gravel traps or mud, always check the bike over and get rocks, mud, grass any loose stuff off the bike as to not bring it back onto the track surface. It could be something as small as some gravel of a leaf or whatever else and the next guy who hits it is going to have a bad day. If you come to BHF stop by and say hi and we'll go over your video. Welcome.

Mott Power

I took it immediately into the pits and cleaned it out and had it re-inspected but I guess I should have gotten as much out as I could before getting back on the track. I really wasn't sure what to do other than to get off the track right away. Thanks though, I'm hoping to make it this weekend and can't wait to learn more.

eE jeremy

Hi Adam, I haven't watched your videos yet, but one thing stood out to me, you said you locked the rear, were you using the rear brake? If you were I'd suggest not even touching the rear brake, at least not until you are very far into your riding progress (unless you run off into the grass then by all means use it).

eE jeremy

Nevermind, watched the video, you weren't on the track anymore, that makes more sense. Next time turn :p

Spitz

I think i'd be happy with a spill like that, at least you got it out of the way and you know what its like to run off track, not that its any fun but at least you know its not instant death to crash.

Matt

NO REAR BRAKE AT THE TRACK!!!!!!! RAWR!!!

And if you come in a little hot, relax and turn the thing. It'll make it.. and you don't have to get right back on the gas if you're really really too hot... it's fine to blow the corner.

stkr

Mott Power;194263 wrote: Yup, 44
When I looked back to see how you finished the turn, THAT was not what I expected after seeing you behind me for two laps doing well. :notsure:

I was relieved to see you get back out there. Like Matt said, scrub what you can, but next time......look through the turn and turn the bike.
;)

Mott Power

stkr;194385 wrote: When I looked back to see how you finished the turn, THAT was not what I expected after seeing you behind me for two laps doing well. :notsure:

I was relieved to see you get back out there. Like Matt said, scrub what you can, but next time......look through the turn and turn the bike.
;)
Haha, yeah, I was really feeling comfortable following your lines and corner speed but I guess I just slightly over-shot my limits on that entry :doh: In retrospect I could have turned it in but I had never had the rear slip out that much before so I just freaked out a little. But no more rear braking for me, that's for sure!

Thanks for tips and comments everyone!

trailmug

Matt;194374 wrote: NO REAR BRAKE AT THE TRACK!!!!!!! RAWR!!!

And if you come in a little hot, relax and turn the thing. It'll make it.. and you don't have to get right back on the gas if you're really really too hot... it's fine to blow the corner.
:agree:
As you pick up the confidence braking hard into corners, there's less and less weight on the rear tire. Pretty soon, it does very little to help you slow down before it drifts. It's nice to have that small amount of traction in reserve for when you botch a downshift. ;)

I figured out how to trail brake by refusing to run off. It's a amazing how much speed you can ditch between turn-in and apex. And if you blow the apex, no problem, just can't get on the gas until you're through the corner. Good words!

Basti

I'm glad you are OK! I've seen you going straight in this corner, I was 1 bike behind you, you can hear my bike at 1:22min (RSV4)

Mott Power

Basti;194471 wrote: I'm glad you are OK! I've seen you going straight in this corner, I was 1 bike behind you, you can hear my bike at 1:22min (RSV4)
Haha, I'm sure that was an interesting sight from your perspective.