RV owners - when do you decide to upgrade?

CBRtist

I had a terrible weekend with my 2003 Fun Mover at Pitt. The infamous "smoking battery" Ryan pointed out (and me saying... nah, that's normal lol), AC cutting out, genny overheating. Granted most of those problems were due to the heat but..... it's getting to be that time.

Looking at a 5th wheel. Seems to be good timing to get a deal. I'm torn between continuing to patch it up to keep it running for a year or so (I'm handy, but not super handy), or upgrading. Since my daughter rides too, seems like it would be a good investment, although I'll probably have to upgrade to a truck also :unsure:

When do you get to "that point" when you consider and upgrade and what are the factors? And also, what to do with the old (trade in, sell? If I sell I would def have full disclosure with next owner. I wouldn't want them to have surprises).

Motofun352

Control Rider
So many issues here. If I had a white elephant I'd probably trade it in just to save all the hassle of selling it. Of course that means buying a new unit so there's the whole money issue. Selling old RV's is hard to do, mostly due to the limited market and competition for that market. There's a big RV show in Hershey this month that you might want to check out...these are highly experienced sellers so if you go don't be afraid to negotiate them down. One thing to try is to go at the end of the show and buy one of the "demonstrators" that is on the lot. They want to move that stuff so they may be willing to cut a better price and they will take trade ins. Hint, go on a rainy day if possible.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Odd you posted this up Wendy, I was debating about starting another thread about my new (to me) Work and Play. Then I concluded that nobody read them anyways so there was no point. :D I suppose I'll get started with my experience thus far later tonight.

But in short, to answer your question - I knew it was time to upgrade when I started to dread going to the track, because I was in constant fear of "what is going to break on this trip?"

If you don't have a 3/4 ton diesel truck at the minimum, I wouldn't even consider a 5th wheel.

And never under estimate the power of Craigslist! If you don't have to be forced to trade your old RV in, don't do it. They won't give you shit on trade. Additionally, if you can unload it yourself, you are no longer limited to buying the next RV from a dealer, so it opens up your options - a lot.

FunFred

Palomino Puma Unleashed fifth wheels are on the lightest side of the fifth wheel toy haulers. Could be had for upper-mid $30k, new. I've been eyein' the 351THSS for some time now...
If your truck can tow 14K, you'll be good. The rig empty is @ 9.5K. Most fifth wheel toy haulers I've found start near 14k empty.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Palomino Puma Unleashed fifth wheels are on the lightest side of the fifth wheel toy haulers. Could be had for upper-mid $30k, new. I've been eyein' the 351THSS for some time now...
If your truck can tow 14K, you'll be good. The rig empty is @ 9.5K. Most fifth wheel toy haulers I've found start near 14k empty.

I bought the 351thss last year and tow with a 2011 f250 super duty. I would not use less and am considering upgrading to a 350 dual rear wheel and 8 foot bed for the longer wheel base. No money down with added onan lp genny and a few other minor options got me to approximately $250 a month from Rv wholesalers. This is an entry level 5th wheel toy hauler and I look at it like this, I am a first timer to 5th wheels and also campers so I'll make my mistakes with this one and upgrade in a few years. If you haven't towed a large hauler fully loaded or in tight quarters error on the side of caution or it gets expensive. It's nice knowing it all works and enjoy my time in it on the road, with the exception of some of the mountains on 68 in WV/MD I have no issues Maintaining 65/70 and 10 to 12 mpg.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Tom, if I'm not mistaken, your F250 is a Powerstroke diesel.

Point is - for somebody thinking about this stuff and from somebody who has pulled trailers for decades with both gassers and diesels, don't even think about pulling these larger things with gasser trucks. With my current bumper pull trailer (that does double duty hauling my car as well as bikes) I'm often pulling around 10k-12k. I've often been tempted to pick up a toy hauler, but there simply aren't any with large enough "garage" space to handle the car side of things for me - unless I get a Freightliner tractor or something. But the difference between pulling with a gasser and a diesel is too big for words. Pulling 10k lbs, if I keep my foot out of it I average between 13-15mpg fully loaded - even through the mountains. If I stay at 60-65mph, I can easily get 14-15 consistently. My pap has a 3/4T 6 liter gasser, and even pulling on the flats I can't get over 7mpg. But the bigger issue is that with the gasser the engine is always screaming and shifting. With my Cummins, I put it in 6th gear, set the cruise, and just let it run down the road at around 2000rpm - up and down hills, only downshifting if somebody gets in front of me or to get off an exit.

If you're going to use the RV enough to justify buying something big, save yourself some stress and make sure you can pull it. Pulling with a diesel is SO much less stressful and easier that it's hard to really put in words. Yes, they cost more money to buy so factor that in. Most of the folks I've talked with that don't get the big diesel pulling advantage have never driven one.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Yes, the newer 6.7 turbo, to put some numbers down, 450ish horse power, 800 pound feet of torque, the torque figures are what allow you to lug 6th gear and not burn fuel as fast. Unlike Bill, I don't keep my foot out of it and usually run about 75mph requiring 5th and 6th gear. I used to tow with a gas Titan and as Bill says night and day when you get to the 8k t 10k range and above.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Ha! I said "if" I keep my foot out of it. I normally run around 75-80mph but still get in the teens for mileage!

FunFred

I bought the 351thss last year...
I've seen 'em up close, in and out, and seen their website's depiction of construction method, etc. I'd have to agree that it's an entry level but, for the money, it seemed a bit more than just entry/inexpensive.
How's it holding up?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Getting a new truck is out of the question for me, but damn I do miss towing at 70+. Unfortunately, having a 48RE and 4.10's does not make for good highway RPM's with my 5.9. I have thought about regearing to 3.73s, but I'd never make that money back in fuel savings.

Dave561

Control Rider
Diesel dually and 27k combined. 6th gear the whole way and 80mph. No drama or stress. No teens in fuel economy unless pulling flat to NJMP

PS- 8ft bed is the way to go. Allows so much more maneuverability, with the longer bed. I'm only constrained by overall length of the trailer, 43ft which is unfortunately about the turn radius of the truck.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I've seen 'em up close, in and out, and seen their website's depiction of construction method, etc. I'd have to agree that it's an entry level but, for the money, it seemed a bit more than just entry/inexpensive.
How's it holding up?
So far so good, some of the door moldings have popped off there are a few warp/twist/stress cracks/tears in the inside paneling/wall paper. A few dents outside that are not the trailers fault. If you get on consider getting the frame rust proofed or coated with truck bed protectant as my farme and under Carrie already has surface rust.

Dave is right on the long bed, I have customized C pillars to prove it. I think there is also a stability factor too with the longer wheel base and for sure the dual rear wheels.

FunFred

So far so good, some of the door moldings have popped off there are a few warp/twist/stress cracks/tears in the inside paneling/wall paper. ... If you get on consider getting the frame rust proofed or coated with truck bed protectant as my farme and under Carrie already has surface rust.
Good to know. Thanks.
I suspect the interior issues are a result of the 2x2 wall framing.
Any idea how many road miles before issues arose?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Good to know. Thanks.
I suspect the interior issues are a result of the 2x2 wall framing.
Any idea how many road miles before issues arose?
Hi Fred, don't know that trailer specifically but my experience is issues arise as soon as you get them home:(....My Voltage had a roof leak after the first rain storm...small but WTF, right? Window caulking was marginal and also had to fixed. Don't get me started on plumbing and wiring, probably done by the Amish in Indiana. If they don't put it in their house how can they be expected to do it in a factory? Just kidding, but still...point is, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

FunFred

HA. Yeah, it's just like tools from a box store, right? Look good 'til ya use 'em...

We have a camper that developed a roof leak. Since we hardly used the thing, the damage was extensive before discovered, nearly totaled the thing and, no, insurance didn't cover it...called it normal wear-n-tear. o_O
It's been repaired but I want it gone cuz it just sits.

Last edited:

R1Baby

Control Rider
Went to the Hershey RV show last week. I only looked at 5th wheel toy haulers. The surprise at the show was two new players to the segment. Winnebago with their " Scorpion" and another company who introduced the Spartan. The best two of the show in my opinion. I was really disappointed with Keystones lines this year. Raptor, Cyclone, all had new designs all dark black wood. And they put the heater under the steps leading up to the bedroom which made for uneven steps. A nice trip hazard.

As far as when Wendy, I'm ready now since mine is 10 years old. But can't afford to do it this year. Going to wait a couple more years.

Myers

Control Rider
When it becomes "non enjoyable"..... I may be in the market soon as with my 30 foot bumper pull.. .2 kids, wife and 2 eighty pound boxers gets very miserable at the track. Take your time, buy for what you "want" to enjoy out of it ..not what you "need".. watch the financing....I bought into their financing to keep my payment low...unfortunately after 2years of payments I hands even touched t b e principle...learned quick on that and refinanced. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk