Safety wire??

Unbroken13

I probably won't ever race.. But safety wiring just makes since... First question is I wired the oil plug to a metal bracket that holds wires in place... Is that ok?? Or does it have to be directly to a bolt or hard part? ( I will post a pic of it later)

Second question is this ok for the front axle pinch bolts? Or does it have to be wired?
uragetev.jpg

Meat

Front pinch bolts are no problem.

When we are safety wiring them, it isn't for the same purpose as aircraft. In aircraft, you are trying to keep the joint properly torqued (or close to it) mainly for fatigue purposes. On race/track motorcycles we are just trying to make sure something doesn't totally come loose. So, a fastener loosening an eight of a turn isn't usually going to cause something catastrophic right away.

Unbroken13

The wire is twisted to a bracket... Would that be acceptable at a wera or ccs race? Or does it have to be to a bolt??
u2evypy2.jpg
9uze2amy.jpg
zy7a6yze.jpg

Ruhe52

All of that looks fine. For me photo one and two I would find a more durable part to wire to. But that's just me.
The pin for front pinch bolts is fine and many go that route as it aides in front tire changes which unless you have a quick change set up are a pain in the ass so anything you can do to simplify good to go.
Now if you are looking to wire for racing I would safety wire the pinch bolts and get rid of the pins.

Unbroken13

I don't have immediate plans to race, I'm still really learning... But if I decide to I want it to be right.. I do love this shit... Lol

komodo_goods

NA 01-1A-505 Navy Wiring Manual/Lockwiring

Here is the definition of proper use of safety wire straight out of the Navy Connector Repair Manual. By the way I'm an Aviation Electricians Mate and this is my job.:)

"The use of lockwire is for physical
security against loosening due to vibration."

Twisting
"Lockwire shall be twisted in a clockwise direction,
with approximately 8 to 10 twists per inch"

"Parts shall be lockwired in such a manner that
the lockwire shall be put in tension if the part begins
to loosen"

"When lockwiring screw or bolts, the lockwire
shall be installed so that the loop around the head stays
down and does not tend to come up over the head and
leave a slack loop"

"Always cut the end leaving 4 to 6 complete turns (1/4 to 1/2 inches
long), which is then bent under or back to prevent injury
to personnel "

Here is the link to the manual. complete instructions are in Work Package 018 00 Page 4 or page 786 in the manual.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/wiring_pdfs/navair_manual.pdf

Hope this helps you out. Safety wiring is an art and when you see it done properly its really nice looking.

Kruizen

Control Rider
You aren't kidding about it being an art. I was at an avaiaton museum a couple of weeks ago and they had an uncovered jet engine on display. There must have been a couple of miles of safety wire on that thing. It was amazing!!!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Unbroken13;298565 wrote: I don't have immediate plans to race, I'm still really learning... But if I decide to I want it to be right.. I do love this shit... Lol
HELL YEAH you know you wanna start racing. You got the perfect bike to do it with! Let me know when you wanna start! :D

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
komodo_goods;298685 wrote: Here is the definition of proper use of safety wire straight out of the Navy Connector Repair Manual. By the way I'm an Aviation Electricians Mate and this is my job.:)

"The use of lockwire is for physical
security against loosening due to vibration."

Twisting
"Lockwire shall be twisted in a clockwise direction,
with approximately 8 to 10 twists per inch"

"Parts shall be lockwired in such a manner that
the lockwire shall be put in tension if the part begins
to loosen"

"When lockwiring screw or bolts, the lockwire
shall be installed so that the loop around the head stays
down and does not tend to come up over the head and
leave a slack loop"

"Always cut the end leaving 4 to 6 complete turns (1/4 to 1/2 inches
long), which is then bent under or back to prevent injury
to personnel "

Here is the link to the manual. complete instructions are in Work Package 018 00 Page 4 or page 786 in the manual.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/wiring_pdfs/navair_manual.pdf

Hope this helps you out. Safety wiring is an art and when you see it done properly its really nice looking.
Shipmate, that's what I call attention to detail. :agree: Quoting the NA Manual and all. :D

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Unbroken13;298737 wrote: I will Otto... Not ready yet.. I have a little bit more to learn...
Nonsense...I started when I was in "I" group. If you wait until you "think" you're ready...you'll never get out on the grid. Just sign up and do it!

Unbroken13

I have to get a license.. And really go through the rule book.. Blah blah blah ( it's gonna happen)... I'm taking the bike to get the pc5 mapped.. I read in the rule book there was a decibal limit..?? Should I put the baffle back in my exhaust?? I got the m4 system.. It's kinda loud..

Kruizen

Control Rider
I did my provisonal novice weekends with wera last year.

Unbroken13;298805 wrote: I've been looking at wera and ccs and ccs schedule looks better to me...
I'll be racing ccs this year. Their mid-Atlantic track selection seemed better to me also. Let me know if your going to do it, it would be cool to have someone from the area to pit with. If you don't decide to race this year and just want to go to a weekend let me know also, there's a couple of the weekends I'm looking for someone to tag along at, as I don't like to go alone for safety reasons. Ccs has slightly less safety wiring than wera.

The ccs rookies cup races, they sound like a blast. Can't wait I'll be at roebling for the start of the ccs season in march.

Unbroken13

I will let ya know kruizen... Right now I just want the nesba schedule out... Wanna get my schedule for track days down...

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
Kruizen;298817 wrote: I did my provisonal novice weekends with wera last year.

I'll be racing ccs this year. Their mid-Atlantic track selection seemed better to me also. Let me know if your going to do it, it would be cool to have someone from the area to pit with. If you don't decide to race this year and just want to go to a weekend let me know also, there's a couple of the weekends I'm looking for someone to tag along at, as I don't like to go alone for safety reasons. Ccs has slightly less safety wiring than wera.

The ccs rookies cup races, they sound like a blast. Can't wait I'll be at roebling for the start of the ccs season in march.
Eric,

I am not sure if I have met you but I will be at all the CCS Southeast rounds and some random CCS Mid-Atlantic and Wera rounds. If you need someone to pit with, give me a shout. There will be six of us racing together from the Roanoke area, so a few more people is no big deal.

We will be at Roebling in March. I think some people are planning on riding the Friday practice day before hand but I think I'm going down Friday.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Sloan, I think we've met, but couldn't tell you the specifics.

for Reobling I'm heading down Thursday night, so I can run the Kern practice day on Friday. It would be cool to hook up with some others from VA. I've never been to Roebling but it looks like a fun fast track.

I'm sending you a PM

Boy did this thread get jacked:cool: