Setback

barry38

Well, seemed like my recovery from the accident was going along nicely. The broken bone in my neck is healed, right collar bone is healing well, left collar bone is still non-union, but doesn't hurt much and I've got full range of motion. The small tear in the menicus in my left knee was doing ok until last Tuesday, whne it blew out completely. Had an MRI on Friday, and went to my ortho for the results today. Complex tear to the meniscus which will require sugery, which is scheduled for April 29. Will be on crutches for 2-4 weeks, and out of work 4-6 weeks.

So basically my return to the track has been set back by at least 3 months.

I wish all of you a great start to the season, and with luck will be back out there with you by July!!!!!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Sorry to hear that Barry hope your surgery goes well, and heal up quick!!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
REALLY sorry to hear that Barry.

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Damn Barry, talk about kicking you when you're down. I had a meniscus surgery last year, but it was not a complex tear. Hopefully, your recouperation time will be similar to mine. I'm sure you'll do everything you can to get back out there.

Ruhe52

Barry in a word that "BLOWS" sorry to hear about the set back. Will miss you on the track but do what you gotta do. Make sure you do all your rehab (which I am sure you will) we will still be here when you are good to go. Take care.

snikwad

this is where my family would say, everything happens for a reason, or nothing happens before its time.

bons

Barry,

I wish you the best, I hope your recovery is speedy and hope you are surrounded by a good support group of family, friends and fellow riders.

Take care and get well.

Lars

I am sorry to hear that Barry :(
Wish you good luck and fast recovery.
We will go to miss you at the track.
I hope we one day can race each other on road bikes :D

Cu,
Lars

Folly1

Barry,

I have had 3 operations on the same knee. The complete ACL replacement only caused me to be out of work 4 days. I had a high end knee brace and did not do a lot of time with the crutches. Can they do the repair with the orthoscope?
I am lucky to live in an area with an excess of surgeons. I query an anethesiologist (sp ?) when I want a surgeon as he is in a position to watch them perform.

Hope all goes well.

Ben.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
just throwing this out there..people live with meniscal tears for several years without getting them "fixed"

And as for "fixed"...only the outer 1/3 of the meniscus is vascular, which heals well, the other inner 2/3 receives nutrition from the joint fluid, and does not heal well. So, when you have a complete tear, usually they just clean up the tear (take out the floating pieces) and then onto rehab.

What happens to people who do not get them fixed? Frequent interjoint swelling and possible locking of the knee, joint instability requiring more muscular dynamic stability

What happens to people who get them fixed? still get occasional interjoint swelling, no locking, but do have joint instability requiring more muscular dynamic stability....

just food for thought....winter is usually about 3 months long:D

Perlzuki

Dam Barry . that suxxxxx! There's no way this is going to be as bad as when the lady plowed you over. Don't let it get you down. Was looking forward to seeing you at Summit so we could go over war stories. Keep in touch & we all will look forward to seeing you at the track in a few months.

Mark
SE CR #249
06 GSXR 1000

barry38

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of support. Not much I can do about it really, just wished it would have happened in January instead of now.

Mark, was just thinging about how you were doing.. How are things coming along???