skill enhancement day

chris

just throwing it out there, can anybody tell me what the skill enhancement
day at VIR is about.I see that there is a B and an I day but for the price
what do they do on those two days.I know it says skill enhanement day
but i,m new to this and would like to know what you get for the money?????:dunno:

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I am already signed up for the SED day at VIR (I group) and can't wait. Basically instead of all 3 groups rotating their 20 minute sessions, the designated group for the day is the only group that runs. So from what I understand you can go out and come in whenever you like (open track). You get a ton more track time and I think they may limit the number of people for the day so you get more time with CRs.

Besides that I have never done one of these, but I can't wait for this one. Especially to do VIR North which I hear is an awesome track.

chris

hey thanks for the info.I thought that was what it was but wanted to be shure.That sounds like it will be alot of fun so i'll try to reserve a spot in the (I group)

buck34

The SED events are track days designed to rapidly increase your riding skills and drop major seconds off your times. Often by as much as 10 seconds in one day!

This is achieved a few ways.

First, by one on one with the clubs most experienced CRs. In the morning the CRs and the group will be divided up. This CR will be your Get Loose CR and contact person though out the day. Ride with him/her and squeeze every bit of information you can from them. As well as all the other CRs are at your disposal. Marriage info? not so sure...

Track walk. By walking the track prior to riding we are able to dissect each part of the track up close, so you'll have a much better understanding of the do's and don'ts.

Fly bys. By watching some of the clubs fastest CRs up close. You'll see proper body positioning, braking, proper lines, where to pick up the throttle etc...

Get loose session. The first two sessions of the day are 20 minute Get Loose sessions. The Group is divided in half. The first group will get out on the track and follow the CRs at a relative slow pace. USE IT THE WAY IT IS DESIGNED, SLOW... start to use the lines you were taught on the track walk, start to use good body positioning that you seen during the fly bys. Basically, just get warmed up for a long day of riding. The first group comes in and the second group goes out. After they come in GREEN FLAG!!! OPEN TRACK!!

During the lunch break there will be body positioning class and a basic suspension seminar class.

Last year at the BeaveRun SED event, we were fortunate enough to have ARAI Helmets perform a very informative Helmet Seminar!!!

An event you definitely would not want to miss.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
dear director...please fix the search button....it is stuck and not functioning....thank you!

nrcooled

After reading that description, I signed up for the Intermediate SED at VIR North. I can't wait to kill some tires.

Motomoon

The SED events are track days designed to rapidly increase your riding skills and drop major seconds off your times. Often by as much as 10 seconds in one day!
Sign me up!

wflores

I have done several SED "I" days. REALLY WORTH WHILE! I highly recommend it.

The track walk was a huge eye opener for some of the turns. You won't believe how much banking some turns have when you walk the track vs. riding it. This gave me alot more confidence in the turns and really stepped up my times. At BeaveRun for example, I was running 1:09's. By the end of the SED day, I got down to high 1:04's. Now I'm doing 1:02's after several other track days. Again, really helps.

As well, the open track gives you the option to really explore your limits. I was able to increase my laps consistantly without worry of the session ending. This gave me more endurance and helped me become faster for a short race and last for the long.

The coaches are also very helpful. At VIR North, Taylor, really helped me push myself and it was a blast.

If you haven't done one, please sign up. You will improve.

PJZOCC624

buck34;34726 wrote: The SED events are track days designed to rapidly increase your riding skills and drop major seconds off your times. Often by as much as 10 seconds in one day!

It's like NUTRI-SYSTEM or JENNY CRAIG for lap times! Sweet!!! (pizza, lasagna... POT ROAST!!!!)

SED's are definitely worth the price of admission. From the track walk, to 1-on-1 time with a CR to the open-track format, it allows for you to evaluate, learn, and concentrate on specific areas of your riding that you feel you want to improve upon. Lets say you've got a specific turn, or turns, that you're having difficulty with. Consult a CR, explain what you want to work on, you go out for a few laps, come back in and get feedback from the CR, and then you go right back out and apply what has been taught. On a regular TD, it's sometimes tough to wait that 40 minutes between sessions to go back out and try to repeat what you're working on... the SED's eliminate that factor. A BIG plus for this type of format.

I may have to make the trip to VIR just for the SED event there....

rk97

^ tell me more, PJ - can a Skills Enhancement Day really reduce MY laptimes?

seriously though - any hesitation about doing a SED at a track you've never been to?

RyanITV

Admin
rk97;35148 wrote: ^ tell me more, PJ - can a Skills Enhancement Day really reduce MY laptimes?

seriously though - any hesitation about doing a SED at a track you've never been to?
I'd say it's probably the best way to learn that track - you're not crunched for time.

Ryan

PJZOCC624

it all depends on how well you adapt to a new track, IMO. I think it's really a better way to learn a track you've not been to before. You've got more time to figure it all out, and I'd bet you'd learn the basic lines before lunch at an SED event, if not sooner. I'd have no reservations about going to a new track on one of these days. Obviously, the learning curve is different for everyone, but think about it.... what does it take to figure out a new layout? Track time, no? Since you get the most amount of avaiable time at an SED, wouldn't that be the best way to learn a new track? I believe that the best way to improve your own skills is two ways: more time on the track, and variation of track layouts (aside from a REALLY cool paintjob and a bad AZZ exhaust system....) Therefore, hence, ergo, and so be it....