Some tech ?s & not tech ?s 06 750GSXR

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Aug 6, 2015
Greeneville, TN
I have read just about every tech thread all 1154 of them looking for some answers. All tech questions pertain to a 06 GSXR 750 unless stated in the question. Vin and HondaGalToo I'm very interested in what the 2 of you have to say from all of the posts I read.

1. What is the best way to handle or safely repair the C clip on the end of the gear shift lever? No problems yet but I'm don't want to lose my shift lever while riding. I read someone drilled a small hole in the end of the shaft that the lever mounts on and put a small cotter pin through it as a backup in case the C clip failed.

2. Do you use stock oil filters or aftermarket and why? K&N seems popular but I would like to know more.

3. Do you use stock oil or aftermarket and why? I read several good things about Rotella oil and it costs less. Any down sides or better choices?

Note: Oil and filter will be changed after every 2 track days and before winter.

4. How long does a track bike last with good maintenance? I am not looking to win races or shave seconds off of my time so I don't really care about having the fastest bike. I do want it to last so I can enjoy myself. I was taught that grease is cheap and parts aren't.

5. Are sport touring tires safe on the track? I have a Yamaha FZ6 that I have rode several times on the track with Q2s and it was great! The FZ will be going back to my commuter bike hence the sport touring tires. I will not be riding it on the track anymore but a good friend of mine wants to come with me and ride in the intro group next time I go to the track. She is an excellent rider and I don't have any concerns about her riding my bike on the track but would sport touring tires be safe for her?

6. Not a tech question. While I was reading all the posts in the tech forum I noticed that many many people quit the forum during the middle 6 months of 2014. What happened?

borislav

Control Rider
Sep 6, 2008
Mike when I had my 750 (as you can see in my avatar picture) I would always squeeze C clip with pair of needle nose pliers before putting it back on and after that made sure that there is enough tension on the clip itself to not pop out. I also had extra few in my spare parts.

I personally always used OEM filters because dealership was close by and price difference between OEM and aftermarket was negligible. Never had any issues with OEM filters.

I used two types of oil on Suzuki then and on Yamaha now and those are
Mobil 1 racing 4T and Castrol Power RS 4T, both of them are synthetic. I put 10K track miles on Suzuki and never had problems, darn thing ran like scalded dog! As CR's we put a lot of miles on our engines and IMHO saving few bucks on oil doesn't make sense.

Your MUST keep a good maintenance of your bike to have many years of reliable service, also what is more important by doing that you are preventing (as much as possible )
mechanical that can ultimately hurt you and/or others.

Your friend will be fine on those sport touring tires in intro, just remind her to adjust air pressure and give those tires two-three laps to warm up.

Why did people quit forum in middle months of 2014... didn't notice that, have no idea!:)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
Mike,
I hope this helps

1. I safety wire mine.
2. I use OEM but I have used after market that was giving to me.
3. I use the Rotella full synthetic (blue jug) I change my oil after a race weekend or after 3 track days.
4. Keep your maintenance up and you should be fine.
5. If it passes tech, it's safe. Ride what you have and enjoy the yourself.
6. I no idea why people stopped posting, many people have stopped posting for what ever reason. I've slowed down a little :D

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
There was a change of ownership at the beginning of 2014 from Nesba to N2. That is probably the reason for the drop in posting.

Aug 6, 2015
Greeneville, TN
There was a change of ownership at the beginning of 2014 from Nesba to N2. That is probably the reason for the drop in posting.
I remember that. It happened just before I started track riding. Now it makes sense. People don't like change good or bad.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Hi Mike, I'll chime in, too, but I think the others have answered everything.

1. I just ensured the C-clip was properly installed and I kept a close check on it. It's a good idea to have a few spares, and to perhaps swap it every couple of years for a new one. I never had one fall off. As a side note, I put some Sato rearsets on last year, and they have a bolt that replaces the C-clip. The Woodcrafts I had used the OEM C-clip. Not why I replaced them, though, I just happened across a set!
2. I use OEM oil filters. Always have on everything I've owned. Never had an issue.
3. I've always used full synthetic in all my bikes, street and track. For my trackbike, I use Motul 300V. Every 2 days seems a bit excessive to me, but it sure won't hurt, whatever makes you comfortable. I change the trackbike oil every 1000 miles (which comes out to roughly 4-6 days), the streetbike every 3000 miles. I change the filter every time.
4. Keep up with the maintenance. I check the valves/change the plugs a bit more often than the manual calls for, I did it a 7k instead of whatever the manual says, which I think is about 14K? They were in spec. Keep records. For trackdays, a stock motor is the way to go, IMHO. Mine has 15k trouble-free track miles on it currently. Built motors are more maintenance-intensive.
5. I wouldn't classify the Q2s as a sport-touring tire. They, and the newer Q3s, are a hypersport street tire that is excellent for track riding as well. Sport tour tires are more like the Dunlop Roadsmart or Michelin Pilot Roads or some such, they are a harder compound. The Q2s, as long as they aren't too old, are perfect for the track. As Bo said, make sure the pressures are lowered. On the Q2/Q3, 30 psi cold front and rear works fine.
6. Yup, as Jim said, change over to N2. The nesba forum was archived. Probably some folks left at that point.

Aug 6, 2015
Greeneville, TN
Hi Mike, I'll chime in, too, but I think the others have answered everything.

1. I just ensured the C-clip was properly installed and I kept a close check on it. It's a good idea to have a few spares, and to perhaps swap it every couple of years for a new one. I never had one fall off. As a side note, I put some Sato rearsets on last year, and they have a bolt that replaces the C-clip. The Woodcrafts I had used the OEM C-clip. Not why I replaced them, though, I just happened across a set!
2. I use OEM oil filters. Always have on everything I've owned. Never had an issue.
3. I've always used full synthetic in all my bikes, street and track. For my trackbike, I use Motul 300V. Every 2 days seems a bit excessive to me, but it sure won't hurt, whatever makes you comfortable. I change the trackbike oil every 1000 miles (which comes out to roughly 4-6 days), the streetbike every 3000 miles. I change the filter every time.
4. Keep up with the maintenance. I check the valves/change the plugs a bit more often than the manual calls for, I did it a 7k instead of whatever the manual says, which I think is about 14K? They were in spec. Keep records. For trackdays, a stock motor is the way to go, IMHO. Mine has 15k trouble-free track miles on it currently. Built motors are more maintenance-intensive.
5. I wouldn't classify the Q2s as a sport-touring tire. They, and the newer Q3s, are a hypersport street tire that is excellent for track riding as well. Sport tour tires are more like the Dunlop Roadsmart or Michelin Pilot Roads or some such, they are a harder compound. The Q2s, as long as they aren't too old, are perfect for the track. As Bo said, make sure the pressures are lowered. On the Q2/Q3, 30 psi cold front and rear works fine.
6. Yup, as Jim said, change over to N2. The nesba forum was archived. Probably some folks left at that point.

I should have been more clear in my original question when it came to the sport touring tires. I have Q2s on the bike now. Between the 3 track days on them and their age, I will finish them off as commuter tires. After they are done I will be putting Metzeler Z6 interact tires on the bike. This will be the tires my friend will be riding on.

Aug 6, 2015
Greeneville, TN
Thanks. I feel better knowing you guys are okay with those tires on the track, if only for the intro group. I would have never been able to forgive myself if something happened to her while on my bike if I could have prevented it.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Jul 12, 2008
Maryland
Thanks. I feel better knowing you guys are okay with those tires on the track, if only for the intro group. I would have never been able to forgive myself if something happened to her while on my bike if I could have prevented it.

It's not N2 that has to be OK with the tires...YOU have to be OK with the tires. You're the one riding your bike. Are they a track day application tire?
Are their recommended operating temperatures sufficient for track day duty?

The only thing I believe the N2 manual mentions is tread depth. No tire brand is mentioned.

If you're looking to use a sport touring tire because it's either cheaper or you think they will last longer, you may be wrong.
At the increased operating temperatures those tires will experience on the track, they may wear quicker or get greasy/slippery.

I run slicks not because I'm fast...trust me, I know I'm not. I run slicks because they're designed to withstand track day/race temperatures, and they
actually last longer than DOT's...and thus slicks are actually cheaper for me to run than any other DOT tire.

Now on my 1198S, I have a set of Perelli Rosso Corsa's waiting to go on that bike. That bike won't see conditions as extreme with my rare street riding.
For that application, those tires will be fine.

Just somethings for you to consider.

Aug 6, 2015
Greeneville, TN
It's not N2 that has to be OK with the tires...YOU have to be OK with the tires. You're the one riding your bike. Are they a track day application tire?
Are their recommended operating temperatures sufficient for track day duty?

The only thing I believe the N2 manual mentions is tread depth. No tire brand is mentioned.

If you're looking to use a sport touring tire because it's either cheaper or you think they will last longer, you may be wrong.
At the increased operating temperatures those tires will experience on the track, they may wear quicker or get greasy/slippery.

I run slicks not because I'm fast...trust me, I know I'm not. I run slicks because they're designed to withstand track day/race temperatures, and they
actually last longer than DOT's...and thus slicks are actually cheaper for me to run than any other DOT tire.

Now on my 1198S, I have a set of Perelli Rosso Corsa's waiting to go on that bike. That bike won't see conditions as extreme with my rare street riding.
For that application, those tires will be fine.

Just somethings for you to consider.
I think you misunderstand why I put sport touring tires on my bike. This bike is my commuter bike. I have rode it on the 3 track days, but no more. That is why I put sport touring tires on it. My friend is interested in track riding but her ride is a dual sport bike with knobby tread. She wants to ride in the intro group and her bike is not up to the task. I have spoken with so many people in N2 that I have a track dedicated bike now and I will be running slicks on it because they are made for the job. I was simply concerned about her safety because I know that sport touring tires are not the best choice for track day riding.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Jul 12, 2008
Maryland
Sorry Mike. I read your post like you were saying you were putting sport touring tires on your track bike. My goof!

Aug 6, 2015
Greeneville, TN
Sorry Mike. I read your post like you were saying you were putting sport touring tires on your track bike. My goof!
No problem. You were only looking out for my safety, lord knows I could use a few more people looking out for me.:like:

JFS811

Apr 14, 2016
Stallings, NC
Hi-Flo makes racing oil filters that have the nut and hole drilled so you can wire them up, just like the K&N filters. I had some bad luck with K&N so I stick with Hi-Flo or OEM.