SpeedBleeders?

CaseyAlbert

Do you use "SpeedBleeders" on your bike? I bought some and just want to hear from people that have already tried them.....

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Not a big fan of Speedbleeders as the sealant they use on the threads can (note I say can, not always do) gets worn from use and contaminate the brake fluid.

Stalhbus makes gucci bleeders that have a fixed base and spring loaded top that allows the same functionality. Super easy to bleed brakes by yourself and I have been using them for years.

bmart

Control Rider
I tried them on a few bikes many years ago, but honestly, I'm not sure what they solve. Done properly, bleeding the brakes or hydraulic clutch takes only a few minutes without them. Leaving a "high" loop in the hose keeps any air from getting in and removes the need for any "open-close-open-close" work.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Do you use "SpeedBleeders" on your bike? I bought some and just want to hear from people that have already tried them.....
Hey Casey,
Yep! I love mine. I have a set of Stahlbus speed bleeders that are very nice quality. They're pretty pricey, but the fit and finish/function of them is flawless. Makes flushing the system quick and painless.

Here's a link to mine:

I have them on my Yamaha monoblocks.

rpm894

I tried them on a few bikes many years ago, but honestly, I'm not sure what they solve. Done properly, bleeding the brakes or hydraulic clutch takes only a few minutes without them. Leaving a "high" loop in the hose keeps any air from getting in and removes the need for any "open-close-open-close" work.
I thought air can get sucked in through the threads if you don’t open/close?

MK3Brent

Treebeard
This may happen if you're using a vacuum pump on the bleeder.
As long as pressure is applied to the lines while the bleeder is open, this shouldn't happen otherwise. (read: don't let go of the lever with the bleeder unseated/tight.)

CaseyAlbert

Thanks for the replies so far!!
I got interested in these after my son and I rebuilt an old outboard trim actuator and kinda sorta figured out what all the springs and balls inside were for by studying the diagrams. The check valve in the "speedbleeders" use the exact same spring and ball..... That is what got me interested.
However, as we know all too well by personal experience or incidents we have heard about, BRAKE FAILURE on the track(or anywhere...) can have disastrous consequences.
So now, I am going to start a new thread asking those that have experienced brake failure to comment so that we can continue our learning journey.

CaseyAlbert

When bleeding under "normal" circumstances with a "standard" bleed valve, if you don't close the valve prior to releasing the lever, the brake fluid you just expelled returns back into the brake line, thereby accomplishing nothing and possibly inhaling air.