Stomp Grip or ????

noobinacan

May 8, 2009
tittys04;201634 wrote: Ok, so don't laugh too hard at this, but I just happened to find something at Walmart that works for a fraction of the cost. I tried looking for it online... I couldn't find the exact thing I use but this is similar.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Non-Slip-Grip-Tape-Black/16783110

I can't remember how much they cost, but you get enough for 2 tanks. The only downside is you have to cut it, but for like $4, I can do that. The ones I found were black rubber, much like the tech spec, with adhesive backing. seriously, it's kind of awesome.
haha
I might try that...
I don't need to apply this stuff to the whole side of the tank anyways...only to areas the inside of my leg touches.
do you know if it comes in clear ?

Fastguy

Oct 9, 2008
tittys04;201634 wrote: Ok, so don't laugh too hard at this, but I just happened to find something at Walmart that works for a fraction of the cost. I tried looking for it online... I couldn't find the exact thing I use but this is similar.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Non-Slip-Grip-Tape-Black/16783110

I can't remember how much they cost, but you get enough for 2 tanks. The only downside is you have to cut it, but for like $4, I can do that. The ones I found were black rubber, much like the tech spec, with adhesive backing. seriously, it's kind of awesome.
Its abrasive. How are your leathers holding up?

IIRC, the others advertise that they dont jack-up your leathers. I could be wrong though.

However, it is a cheaper alternative.

tittys04

Sep 2, 2009
noobinacan;201644 wrote: haha
I might try that...
I don't need to apply this stuff to the whole side of the tank anyways...only to areas the inside of my leg touches.
do you know if it comes in clear ?
I don't ever remember seeing it in clear... I kind of doubt it because it's meant to walk on... But hey, it's worth a shot.

Fastguy;201645 wrote:
Its abrasive. How are your leathers holding up?

IIRC, the others advertise that they dont jack-up your leathers. I could be wrong though.

However, it is a cheaper alternative.
Like I said, it wasn't that exact one. You're right, that link is to something that is abrasive. I included that more for just the size of it because size-wise, they are very similar. The ones I got were made out of rubber, though... not abrasive to leathers at all.

Fastguy

Oct 9, 2008
tittys04;201648 wrote:

Like I said, it wasn't that exact one. You're right, that link is to something that is abrasive. I included that more for just the size of it because size-wise, they are very similar. The ones I got were made out of rubber, though... not abrasive to leathers at all
Well, hell do you have link to the exact product?

tittys04

Sep 2, 2009
nah, I tried looking for it but I can't find it on walmarts website. I'll try to see if I can figure out the exact brand name at home later and see if I can search for it that way.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Jul 24, 2008
Grasonville, MD
I have used both. Stomp grip has better gripping power then the techspec but if not put on properly it doesnt stay on for much more then a season. The techspec wears on the leading edge where your knees rub. I'm finding I still slide forward under heavy braking with the techspec when I didn't slide with the stompgrip. I'm going back to the stompgrip at the end of the season.

Aug 25, 2010
Slow Steve;201676 wrote: I have used both. Stomp grip has better gripping power then the techspec but if not put on properly it doesnt stay on for much more then a season. The techspec wears on the leading edge where your knees rub. I'm finding I still slide forward under heavy braking with the techspec when I didn't slide with the stompgrip. I'm going back to the stompgrip at the end of the season.
I'm not surprised that you slide forward with the brakes on that thing. I can't wait to see how it does with the new pads.

noobinacan

May 8, 2009
Slow Steve;201676 wrote: I have used both. Stomp grip has better gripping power then the techspec but if not put on properly it doesnt stay on for much more then a season. The techspec wears on the leading edge where your knees rub. I'm finding I still slide forward under heavy braking with the techspec when I didn't slide with the stompgrip. I'm going back to the stompgrip at the end of the season.
^ this has been exactly my experience, in terms of stompgrip vs techspec.

Jul 14, 2008
TT

+1 on Tank Tredz.

I am using them on my '03 GSXR 750. I don't really notice them at all. That tells me they are working as designed. There is no abrasive texture to tear up your expensive leathers. If the tank is prepped properly and the tredz are applied properly they won't lose their grip on the tank or peel off. They just work great and you don't even notice them. (DISCLAIMER: I was not paid for this commercial). ;)

BigBird

May 27, 2009
crewnutz;93166 wrote: i personally dont like any kind of tank grips........i rode one bike with them and really didnt like it
had 2 sets of stomp grip fall off in 2 years...so basically they last a season in my experience and its only $40-50 or whatever it is..but since one side has fallen off, I didn't really notice a major difference before or after...but I am a :b: rider, so take it for what its worth.

side note: I don't think MotoGP uses anything like this and I think they brake a lot harder and carry a lot more lean angle than the rest of us, so is this stuff even necessary?

slowpoke

May 18, 2009
BigBird;201955 wrote: ....side note: I don't think MotoGP uses anything like this and I think they brake a lot harder and carry a lot more lean angle than the rest of us, so is this stuff even necessary?
Personally I use the tech spec and really like it. plenty of grip and doesn't eat thru leathers. VJ, I base very few decisions on what Rossi does since every inch of his equipment is custom. Well that, and he knows how to ride motorcycles and I don't.
I can tell you many AMA riders use tank grip, but obviously it's all down to preference.

More importantly, when the hell are you coming out to do a trackday???!!!

Twiztedjester55

Jul 11, 2008
I have Stomp Grip on both of my bikes. Maybe I've been lucky but I've had the same set on my 1000 for 5 years now and my 600 for over 2 years with no signs of peeling or falling off yet. I rode one bike without any kind of grip tape on the tank and hated it. Felt like I was sliding all over the place under braking.

Oct 15, 2010
Central Virginia
Wonder if applying something to the leather of the suit itself wouldn't be better. Not like the stompgrip/techspech stuff, just something like a leather conditioner that finishes somewhat tacky. maybe the suit makers need to address this . . .

slowpoke

May 18, 2009
daddyfriedrich;202011 wrote: Wonder if applying something to the leather of the suit itself wouldn't be better. Not like the stompgrip/techspech stuff, just something like a leather conditioner that finishes somewhat tacky. maybe the suit makers need to address this . . .
A* race replica suit already has it, but doesn't work well enough alone for me.

Big D

Feb 7, 2011
:agree:

bighammer

May 3, 2012
:popcorn:

I just had to drop by and listen in...

I cut my own about a year ago and started selling them on SVrider. At about half the price of the big names, they've become quite popular.