Street Rider need some experienced feedback

BigBird

I used to like street riding, until I got too confident in the street, plus riding with 15 other riders most checking up in a turn, I crashed in the Catskills like 3 hours away and that was my last street ride. I miss it on nice days.

Just be careful is the major thing to take away, and just ride to enjoy the scenery and not to set mountain records.

madriders86

Gorecki;208200 wrote:
Why sliding, my guess. Tire pressure a bit too low and not getting warm enough, street not warm either, just a wee bit of lazy throttle control and WHOOSH! Again, just a guess. But I've had my backend slip out on the most tiny patch of sand and tar snakes, it could be as simple as that? :dunno:
Less tire pressure = more tire flex = more heat, fyi.

BigBird

madriders86;208425 wrote: Am I wrong? I'm all ears :D
you're good but there are soooo many ideas in this post...i'm unsure if I know where the throttle is anymore from all these ideas.

i would listen to the guys with the orange in their names for the most part ;)

avizpls

#11-A
If you pay attention you can pick out the few noise sources. Overall, the signal around here is pretty good.

Gorecki

madriders86;208396 wrote: Less tire pressure = more tire flex = more heat, fyi.
But do you really think that has the same effect in a street situation where the heat is possibly not being generated as consistantly as it would be on the track? The dunlop dude suggests 32 for a stating point for the track on Q2's and it takes a good couple of laps to get them up to temp. And then, they get cold pretty quickly. Wouldn't the often stopping, starting and likely less than track level agression be harder to keep the heat?

Serious questions, not meaning to be argumentative or anything. :dunno:

I hardly know where to begin. I usually just lurk with a bag of Cheetos like a lot of others but this is serious. It's not only the danger you are to yourself. But it also has to do with the danger you are to others and the damage to the image of bikers that we all have to deal with because of certain types of riders. You have gotten a lot of good advice here from people who actually care about your safety. Many of us have been where you are in our early stages of riding development. But then we grew up and went to school at the track where that kind of riding is more appropriate. I'll give you my own first-hand story about mountain carving. I was out carving it up in the mountains here in NY. I come around a hairpin turn cranked over. Thankfully I was looking far enough ahead and noticed just in time the oil slick all over the road. In fact, it went halfway down the mountain. Some car had blown a transmission or something and spewed oil all the way down the road. I got the bike stood up just in time and fish-tailed all over the road coaxing it around the turn. The lesson is, slow the hell down and ride smarter on the street. And I know track days can be expensive but 9k? Really? My first track day I rented a U-haul van and packed two bikes and all my crap in there. Worked great. Now I tow my little open trailer with my bike, spares, pit bike, gas, ramp, generator and a bunch of other stuff behind my Mazda 3 hatchback. Not ideal but it gets me to the track. If you are in B group you don't need expensive bodywork. You don't even need racing boots. You can wear work boots and tape up the laces. There are ways to save money. Like people have mentioned, share a ride. Borrow stuff like you have been doing. The track day community is a very generous environment. When somebody needs something there is usually a person who can help. You have gotten a lot of opinions here but nothing definitive and custom tailored to your problem because it's all guess work until a CR can observe what you are doing. Get to the track as soon as you can afford to and then you will get the help you need.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Gorecki;208479 wrote: But do you really think that has the same effect in a street situation where the heat is possibly not being generated as consistantly as it would be on the track? The dunlop dude suggests 32 for a stating point for the track on Q2's and it takes a good couple of laps to get them up to temp. And then, they get cold pretty quickly. Wouldn't the often stopping, starting and likely less than track level agression be harder to keep the heat?

Serious questions, not meaning to be argumentative or anything. :dunno:
You've just described why I don't think it's a good idea to use race tires on the street, they can't be worked hard enough to get and stay at proper operating temperature. However, any of the hypersport street tires, such as the Q2, heat up more quickly, so they should hold enough heat to work fine on the street. For street riding. I believe the same principle of lowering the pressures holds true (they'll heat up quicker, etc.), although I think you have a point that they may cool off quicker due to less consistency in speed on the street (stopping for lights, etc.). Another good reason to not run the low pressures is the inevitable pot hole.

Bottom line, it's not safe to do trackday practice on curvy roads. Not being overly critical, as I'm sure I've fractured a few speeding laws in the distant past, but the conditions just aren't optimal for many reasons. I gave up spirited street riding many years ago. I still street ride, but it's not even close to what I do at the track. And, as described by slowpoke, you can't hang off the same on the street as the track. Well, and not be as safe.

I'm not looking for any arguments, either, just trying to answer your tire question as best as I know, and I'm not a tire expert.

jcrich

329;208480 wrote: You don't even need racing boots. You can wear work boots and tape up the laces. T
You may want to re-read the Riders manual. :rtfm:

Motorcycle specific boots designed to protect your feet are required, and
race style boots with high quality armor are highly recommended. Work
boots or fashion boots will not be allowed. Rental boots are available
from your trackside vendor
;)

j_fuggin_t

madriders86;208507 wrote: I was gonna say, fuck that noise.

Timberlands on the track would probably lead to some mangled ankles.
it would stop the scratches etc.. but it won't stop the bone from coming out of the side, when i broke my leg i had on alpinestars smx4's and spiral fractured the tibia & compounded the fibula, gear is one thing to NOT cheap out on in my opinion

Matt

preface this with I'm not reading all the banter.

I can't tell you what you're doing wrong without seeing you do it.

the street doesn't get the amount of rubber down on it as a race track does, you might be stuck with the problem.

take it to the track where there's an ambulance standing by if something happens. on the street you're at least 10 minutes from help if you're VERY lucky. usually more like 15-30.

Andrei

three things:

- chicken strips === you are not riding the tire hard enough to get heat into them. Also , the tire itself may be old and tired.
- loose chain is good. it would the opposite causing all the sliding
- And most importantly . Listen to what Matt has to say ....