Suspension change in going to slicks

avizpls

#11-A
So I figured I'd give slicks a try to see how I like them. I have a set of Bridgestones on the way regular soft front and Med rear. What I'm looking for is general advice on what the difference is going to be in going to race tires....will need more rebound, less. Front vs Rear changes... I know the springs will need to be heavier. RaceTech got me going when I rolled onto the track 5 years ago and its time to upgrade. So there is a call into them, but I'm very curious to hear your thoughts as well.

avizpls

#11-A
At least for my application. I'm guessing Ill be braking harder and I'm all ready about bottoming out.

denbsteph

avizpls;276065 wrote: So I figured I'd give slicks a try to see how I like them. I have a set of Bridgestones on the way regular soft front and Med rear. What I'm looking for is general advice on what the difference is going to be in going to race tires....will need more rebound, less. Front vs Rear changes... I know the springs will need to be heavier. RaceTech got me going when I rolled onto the track 5 years ago and its time to upgrade. So there is a call into them, but I'm very curious to hear your thoughts as well.
I just did my first weekend on US N-TEC Slicks. I did not change my suspension at all. I had Chuck set my bike up last year with Q2's and I don't feel I need to.............. at this point. I'm a mid pack "I" rider and I was scooting right along last weekend at VIR North with out issue.:)

I took a few tips from a "A" rider last weekend about braking harder. I just down shifted slower and smoother, instead of downshifting 3 gears in a short distance. Down shift later in the transition to corners. If that makes any sense.

Poper

avizpls;276071 wrote: At least for my application. I'm guessing Ill be braking harder and I'm all ready about bottoming out.
I go back and forth between slicks and dots all the time (even between brands), and little to no suspension adjustments are needed. The profiles and compounds of each brand/tire will be a little different, but you should be able to get comfortable and adapt after a session or two of riding. I always spoon them on and ride first before changing anything.

As far as braking harder, there is little to no difference between the slick and dot on the brakes. When hard on the brakes, the front tire will go from a "V" to a "_" shape. The siping will become non-existent and your grip will be just the same.

As far as slicks go, you can't go wrong with the Dunlop US slicks. Great grip, awesome wear, and great service trackside with Colin or calling www.dunlopracing.com

avizpls

#11-A
thanks for the thoughts guys. Looking forward to trying these out. I avoided the dunlops because a 180 q2 hits my chain, where Bridgestone 180's do not.

JRA

None of us are fast enough to need major changes in suspension when going from one type of tire to another. Regarding braking you can stoppie on those bridgestones DOT's just like you can on slicks. If your forks are working in the bottom of their range and your sag is correct then you need heavier springs regardless of the tires you are using.

avizpls

#11-A
Thats very true. I've got non-externally-adjustable forks so the reason I'm eager to make some change is I have not changed my fork valving since I set off for my intro day. But, knowing I need to change the springs, I figure now's the time to make any changes. I don't even have a real good reason for going to slicks. Just....for the sake of it really. :doh:

JRA

There are plenty of good reasons for using slicks, and "Just because I want to" is one of them. :D

z064life

avizpls;276071 wrote: At least for my application. I'm guessing Ill be braking harder and I'm all ready about bottoming out.
A few things. 1) are you bottoming out on braking only or in the corner itself? Have you tried increasing the oil level some?

D you feel not in control of the bike when they bottom out? I regularly bottom my forks out under braking (especially at Atlanta) because I try to go later and later into the corner to start; however, I do not bottom IN the corner so I have seen no need to change (other than I added a bit of oil to keep them off the bottom a little more).

The other thing to look at is when were your forks serviced last. If you are A group, technically you should refresh them every 10 trackdays or so for optimal performance.

z064life

JRA;276107 wrote: There are plenty of good reasons for using slicks, and "Just because I want to" is one of them. :D
Only reason I haven't gone to slicks is that I can sell my DOT take offs that are trashed on the sides to street guys for 110 mounted and balanced :lol

Every little bit helps.

avizpls

#11-A
I cant say that I know I am bottoming IN the corner.....probably not. I never really felt that it lost touch, the zip tie was my only cue. Still waiting to chat with RaceTech

avizpls

#11-A
z064life;276115 wrote: Only reason I haven't gone to slicks is that I can sell my DOT take offs that are trashed on the sides to street guys for 110 mounted and balanced :lol

Every little bit helps.
There is something to be said for that. I wont be surprised if I switch back to DOT after my experiment here... The initial cost is much higher, and as you indicate, they arent worth (as) much as take-offs compared to a set of DOT legal ones.

z064life

avizpls;276127 wrote: I cant say that I know I am bottoming IN the corner.....probably not. I never really felt that it lost touch, the zip tie was my only cue. Still waiting to chat with RaceTech
Just know if you are bottoming under braking there is actually nothing inherently wrong with that. I'd have to go to a really heavy spring for my weight to keep mine off the bottom, but then I'd be sacrificing some in the corner which is where I care about it. Until it is giving me fits in the corner I'll only make small changes. Next time around I may go from .95 to 1.0 springs just to try them.

avizpls

#11-A
I'm at .85 right now. thinking I'll end up with .95 if i make a change. I see what you're saying though, and I may raise my oil to adjust. Still waiting to chat with RaceTech...

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
It's been my experience that switching to slicks is cost effective..they're lasting longer for me than DOTs, so I don't have to buy tires as often.

I've got 4 days on my US Dunlop slicks so far..and I don't see any problems easily getting 4 more.

And unlike everything else, it appears as if the price has actually dropped a little on those tires.

JRA;276107 wrote: There are plenty of good reasons for using slicks, and "Just because I want to" is one of them. :D
I had pretty much the same questions about slicks and stock suspension. I asked around the paddock and I asked Chuck. Chuck said I would love them and have no issues. I've been running slicks ever since. The only issue I've ever had on any of my bikes is the loose nut connected to the clip ons. Hopefully, I'll get that tightened up soon.:D

mike_21

Control Rider
I'm going to agree with John that springs and other changes are not required out of the box. However, the size markings on the sides of the tires are next to worthless so you do need to measure the circumference of the new tires and the old tires and make ride height changes accordingly.

Once you have the height dialed in, try the tires and look to see how the bike feels, see how the tires wear, and make adjustments from there. Make one change at a time.

JRA

yes I didn't mention anything about geometry changes, they may or may not be needed depending upon the tires you're using. servicing suspension every 10 track days is excessive IMO.