Suspension setup ZX6R

leeross

Does anyone have a proven track suspension set-up on the front for a stock ZX6R?

Right now I have gone to 1 turn out on compression, 8 turns out for preload and 1.5 turns out for rebound. 170 lb. rider.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ghost Cracker

leeross;248870 wrote: Does anyone have a proven track suspension set-up on the front for a stock ZX6R?

Right now I have gone to 1 turn out on compression, 8 turns out for preload and 1.5 turns out for rebound. 170 lb. rider.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Not the same bike. But how I started with my R6, was at sportrider.com, they have recommended starting track setting for pretty much every model sportbike in the last ten years or so. I dialed in their settings, then started adjusting from there. My adjustments did not include the preload though. Once I set it on their preload, I only adjusted the rebound and compression. If it helps, I found their settings to be a little too stiff for my riding, the fact that I weigh 140 soaking wet prolly contributes to that though. Good Luck.

here is the link - http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension/146_suggested_suspension_settings/kawasaki.html

DUG

Idea

I second that. I weigh about 185 and all their baselines have been spot on. 06 zx6, 2010 zx10, and 2011 zx6 :cool:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Another thought....if you're at a trackday that either Markbilt or Performance Cycleworx is at...pay them the 40 bucks for a baseline set up. That'll be better for you than what any magazine suggests.:)

Ducati Pete

Ghost Cracker;248880 wrote: Not the same bike. But how I started with my R6, was at sportrider.com, they have recommended starting track setting for pretty much every model sportbike in the last ten years or so. I dialed in their settings, then started adjusting from there. My adjustments did not include the preload though. Once I set it on their preload, I only adjusted the rebound and compression. If it helps, I found their settings to be a little too stiff for my riding, the fact that I weigh 140 soaking wet prolly contributes to that though. Good Luck.

here is the link - http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension/146_suggested_suspension_settings/kawasaki.html
It's great to have a list of baselines. But read their previous article regarding suspension settings. It states: "One common misconception is that there is some magical setting that will work for every rider in every situation (and we'll be the first to admit that our suggested settings are not that wonderful setup, but rather a starting point)."

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension_setup/146_0402_suspension_setup_guide/viewall.html#ixzz23GkoBrNP

I personally feel that if you are going to tweak your own suspension, you need to realllllly understand what is happening to the bike as a whole. I recommend buying and reading Sportbike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt. It's an easy read and can be read in an hour or two. It will give you all the basics to set up your bike's geometry first and then provides some base settings (from your service manual or better yet, reliable friend with same bike) to take to the track. You can then start tinkering with improvements and since you read the book, you will understand how one setting effects another, etc, etc, etc.... The book talks about squat, anit-squat, chain and sprocket affects, how tires play into the whole, etc... and will get you going in the right direction.

There are too many variables including one's riding style and track needs. The only way any of us will get close to using a bike's potential and improving ourselves is through suspension. You hear pro racers talking about it alllll the time on TV. They say their crew got it "dialed in", or the bike was "perfectly balanced", etc... They rarely talk about the power being off or having too much. It's all about suspension and bike balance.

HondaGalToo;250092 wrote:
Another thought....if you're at a trackday that either Markbilt or Performance Cycleworx is at...pay them the 40 bucks for a baseline set up. That'll be better for you than what any magazine suggests.:)
Then again, Judy's got a great point. Let Mark set it up!!!! LOL I personally would steer clear of a magazine article's settings since it's too easy to do it yourself or have Mark getting you going correctly. And with 14 sessions over a weekend, you can have a lot of fun tweaking your bike into a better and better ride along the way. REMEMBER. Write down all your settings as they will change from track to track and even tires will make a difference, even new tires of the same brand and model will make a difference. In time you will be able to foresee how different tracks (or riding areas - mountains, flat-lands, etc...) will need various setting changes to better your experience and you can start to set up the bike before you even arrive trackside or head out with your riding buds.

Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck,
Pete

DUG

Per my previous post... "baseline" is all its good for. Depending on the track I would have to adjust it a little. But it's a good place to start. Of course Mark can dial it in just right. And I do mean dial it in. If you're just starting out its the best money you can spend.

bcrunk11

I agree with Honda Gal 300% ! I tried every adjustment combo I could imagine, 3 different sets of tires & nearly sold my bike before letting the pros set it up for me. I used a different vendor, but nevertheless it was BY FAR the best $ I've spent on it. (Mine is also stock)