Take a few moments and think about something you don't want to think about:

Huey130

Director
Race Director
Crashing, bad.

We never want to think about this because we never want it to happen and odds are extremely in your favor that it won't! Even if it does happen tracks are so much safer and gear is better so odds are again in your favor that nothing bad will happen.

But just like we never want to think about fires we have fire-extinguishers, insurance and plans!

It's the planning part that some people forget about when it comes to gravity being a butthole!
1st: Insurance. Get it. If you do have it see what it covers. For example helicopter rides? You'd be surprised how much they cost!

Next: Don't go to the track alone. Sometimes you have to. But always try and take a buddy, crewmember, pitmate, friend, understudy, family member, next door neighbor... SOMEONE!

Keep your contact information up to date on your forms. As you can tell this all comes from many years of experience: What sucks is calling the EX-girlfriend with news and then having to call the new girlfriend and mom. I've been there.

When you get to the track introduce yourself to your pit neighbors. Tell them your name and a bit about yourself. That way IF the organizers have to come asking "Hey is this where John from Boise is pitted?" they'll be able to say "yup!"

Lastly is something I've always done: I keep all my important stuff in a "bug out bag" while I'm at the track. A few people know where it Just a small bag that has: Change of clothes, wallet (with insurance card), glasses (sometimes contacts come out or get taken out), my daily medicine, cell phone and charger.

Anyway... not trying to bring the party down. Just something that came to mind. Any other suggestions?

Everyone be safe have fun and WHEELIE (when the CR's aren't looking Hahahahaha).

Huey

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I bought a USB dogtag. Has all my medical info and numbers. Luckily I have no known physical issues, other than a steel plate for a collar bone. I try not to travel solo as noted, but I know a "few" folks at the track and I know how well the family pulls together to take care of those that need it. I know I've packed a few up and traveled to ensure safe delivery back home. Preparation for the day should include contingency plans for every outcome as Huey noted. Excellent post!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I rarely travel alone, but even if I'm alone or not, I'll set up all my I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) stuff in one spot so it's easy to put together - Wallet, ID, keys, etc. I leave my wife's number as I.C.E. in my phone, and always make sure to remove the password protection on my phone while at the track, because you never know.

Setting your pit up is just like your riding gear. You don't dress for what you expect - you dress for the unexpected. If we all knew when we would crash, we wouldn't have to wear our helmets all the time. This *really* hit home for me a few weeks ago at VIR when I front flipped and got knocked out, and woke up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Very thankful my extremely track-seasoned wife was with me and she handled everything without a hitch. If you don't have someone like that traveling with you, at the very least do a meet and greet with your pit neighbor and exchange info - he may just be packing your gear if you take a hospital trip.

mpusch

Micah
This is an appropriately timed thread for me perhaps. Just booked a trackday that my friend won't be able to come along with me to. My plan is to either
find someone to buddy up with here online, or just meet the neighbors there and get acquianted. Maybe post up in ride share or somewhere and find
another solo?

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
I wear a info sheet in a clear necklace under my leathers. It has my vehicle, pertinent info (insurance, notes on what to grab, medication, blood type, and emergency contact info since my family lives in California and Maine). All good point above and good post Huey to remind us when bad things happen.

steftoff

Good posts guys. I never really considered doing some of these things.
Now I have something else to remember...lol Thanks.

Stefan