Tank Covers/extenders

Axis

I am changing a street bike to a track only bike and was looking at track fairings. I was advised to get a tank cover which would also extend the tank.
Any thoughts? thanks

rpm894

It’s a personal preference. They are not objectively better. Hayes doesn’t have one on his R6. Try without and then try with one to see if you like it better. The Kustom Cockpit guys are at a lot of N2 days with demos to try.

To follow and amplify what @rpm894 said, some people naturally fit on their existing bike while others need an adjustment.

I tried my best for a season to consistently plant my outside knee to my tank but I was inconsistent. I installed a Kustom Cockpit and it solved that problem.

Other people with my same bike don't need a KC so whether you need one or not comes down to individual ergonomics.

rpm894

Some extensions will push you back because they extend the tank towards the rear. Others just change the profile. It’s more about the contact it makes with your knee and thigh since you are never sitting center on the bike.

So when you are riding, is your crotch resting against the extension?

Not for me but I have a super grippy seat that keeps me pretty well planted.

If you have a slippery seat, you may creep into it in the braking zone.

When I position my butt at half-crack before the braking zone, I also ensure I'm back off the tank and that usually survives heaviest braking.