Tank Rust

Meat

A guy I work with just bought a 1972 CB450 with a SEVERELY rusted gas tank. He used CLR (available at any hardware store or grocery store). He said it took about 4 hours total, shaking the tank about every 20 minutes to recoat. He said the metal inside the tank was pristine when he finished. He then sprayed WD40 on it to keep it from rusting until he could get some gas in it.

Pascal

I went through this with the tank on my YSR50 which was VERY badly rusted (10 years worth). I did the electrolysis approach using a coat hanger bent in a fork like shape and super washing baking soda. My tank was so bad I did this for a week cleaning the element and replacing the washing soda mix twice a day.

here is a video on the method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhTZkvkivDQ

When all that was left was some minor surface rust I used the POR-15 kit which from everything I read is the best way to go. a couple months later I'm very satisfied! I heard some off the other tank liner kits can peal (Kreme especially). the reality is that most of the kits are probably good if you are VERY meticulous about following the procedure. With that said I'm sold on the POR kit!

be patient - there is nothing quick about getting rust out of the tank. I stayed away from the nuts and bolts (or chain) approach because I didn't want to try and fish it back out.

The POR kit will tackle rust all by itself (so you don't need to do electrolysis), but I had so much rust i didn't want to risk it.