The MotoGP Thread

Not to gloat but AppleTV has been super for me with the downloadable MotoGP and MotoAmerica apps.

For WSBK I have to AirPlay from my phone to the AppleTV.

72 ways to not access the material you're paying for. Not exactly a win for the consumer/fan...
Agreed. It’s been like this for a good long while. Sometimes they make a couple improvements, then it falls back again. It’s actually strange.

I’ve been lucky in that I have never experienced the playback issues that many complain about. But this latest setback, removing all the usable functions, has me stumped.

I did hear an interview with the guy they hired to revamp their social media and digital presence. He was formerly with the NBA. Seemed like he had a handle on what needed to be done, but so…not so much!

But I’m addicted. They have me right where they need me - willing to fork out for subpar access to a phenomenal product.

Not to gloat but AppleTV has been super for me with the downloadable MotoGP and MotoAmerica apps.

For WSBK I have to AirPlay from my phone to the AppleTV.
My tv has the Roku built in. Only reason I use it. I can cast from the phone/ipad. And that’s fine. But in 2024, should be unnecessary.

I don’t have cable, but I saw that TNT is apparently hosting.

bmart

Control Rider
They have me right where they need me - willing to fork out for subpar access to a phenomenal product.
I fork out my friend's money for GP. lol

Really looking forward to watching. I do like that the riders seem to get along off track. Dorna probably hates that.

The opening music and graphics are a huge improvement for 2024.
At least on the Roku app, the volume of the opening music was a huge leap in level. Nearly jumped out of my skin last night when I turned on free practice and it came blaring through the speakers!!! :)

Acosta is looking good, and may be living up to the hype? Would love to see him be able to enter the category with a little less pressure - so he could comfortably develop. But if the media and fans won’t allow that - better that he has a day like yesterday rather than the rocky start some of the rookies the past few years have had (still have).

I do like that the riders seem to get along off track. Dorna probably hates that.

Indeed. The DORNA media machine loves any excuse to manufacture drama. They’d characterize an ant fart as a hurricane if they think EU fans will click on it.

bmart

Control Rider
The video work is also improved. They put that shoulder cam in the trash where they should have left it last year. They're trying the rear rider cam, which is so much better. And they removed my most hated "feature" of dimming the whole screen every time you moved your mouse...which is every few seconds.

Next up, let's try to get them to keep us from scrolling what feels like 100 million times on every page to see 10 items...

Agreed. The shoulder cam just wasn’t working. Seems like they were trying to show you how much they are off the bike and close to the ground. Most times you ended up seeing asphalt. I appreciated them trying though.

F1 has a new(ish) camera inside the cockpit (helmet?) to show the drivers point of view. It ends up looking like a massive overexposed solar flare. Neat idea, poor execution.

The new “back cam” is a better shot and still shows you the body off the bike if you know what you’re looking for. I like that they keep trying new stuff.

Action packed today since they postponed the “pre-qualifying” to be in FP3 instead of FP2. So that session, Q1&2 and the sprint. Hell of a start to a long season for these boys.

Purely speculation but…

After this season I bet JM43 goes home to the farm in Australia and his factory KTM seat goes to PA31. I really like JM43 (candid, funny, no BS or superficial drama) but I think his Premier class chapter has been marred by too many lost opportunities from crashing. KTM is a race-winning empire in the off road world and BB33 is getting them so close in road racing that they’re going to want to eliminate any drag on their rise. JM43’s dead last finish despite ten seasons of experience probably isn’t the performance Francesco Guidotti is willing to casually pardon.

I agree. Miller is the last person I want to see leave the paddock. In my opinion, he's one of the best characters on the grid. But his performances have been plagued by moments of brilliance and then missed opportunities. Aside from the frequent crashes, he seems to have never really wrapped his head around the tire management issue. He has also said in interviews that he doesn't love looking at the minutia of data, so he doesn't set himself up well for a tester's seat. That, and KTM already have a good stable of test riders.

KTM definitely looked to have taken a step towards competing with the Ducati. In the past couple years, Binder's gumption has kept them in the mix, and now they seem to have given him a bike that can stay in the fight over race distance.

I was hoping the Aprillia would have been fighting up front - but I'm afraid they just don't have the riders who can overcome/ignore the bike's deficiencies. Both factory riders are talented, but have proven to be temperamental. They need their own PA31!

Speaking of Aprilia…train wreck debut for Trackhouse Racing, huh?
No doubt. Really hoped they would have a decent first showing since Fernandez had shown some promise. Olivera had no hope with the LL penalty from last year.

Brivio heading the team should ease the growing pains and shorten the learning curve. He’s taken worse and made better.

The looming issue is that Fernandez has finally wrapped his head around last years bike but will shortly be switching to the ‘24 model. No telling how long that will take him to adapt to.

I don't agree with everything Matt Oxley writes but I think there's some truth to body sensors making their way into MotoGP. DORNA already posts heart rate data. The two examples that jump out at me are FQ20 and Davide Tardozzi (Ducati).

Jeff Gray from Penguin Racing School has a whole set up that he provides as a coaching service so it's not all that futuristic.

Really interesting article. Now that it’s mentioned, I guess I’m a little surprised they haven’t done this yet. The tech is there. Might as well deploy it.

That photo of Martin in the corner is insane. Not sure I’ve ever seen that type of lean photographed from the back. It’s alway head on. Looks even more impressive at this angle - and boggles the mind as I still try to work on my rudimentary body position!.

The butt pucker sensor would be an entertaining statistical figure for the commentators.

"Take a look at Pecco Bagnaia's approach into Turn 1. He's running such a tight defensive line here at Catalunya."

"That's right, Simon, but I see Brad Binder is really pressuring him, the KTM crew having found a step with the chassis improvements. It looks like Brad has really overcome last year's problems with exceeding track limits on his exits."

"Oh, my word....Jorge Martin got in way too hot in Turn 1! Did you see his Pucker graphic on the screen?! It went from a normal race position to absolute and complete closure! He's probably ripped the seat clean off the carbon fiber subframe trying to make the corner! Let's take another look in slow motion at the Sphincter Cam."