The MotoGP Thread

While he might not be as good as Martin, I can’t imagine that he THINKS he’s not as good as Martin :).

I totally get taking the cash. Careers can be short, and you might as well bank what you can when you can. But for the show, I would just like to see him on a bike that has potential sooner than reg changes. Aprilla has their issues, but obviously Yamaha has them too. On its day, regardless of how sparse those days may be, Aprilla has shown some balls.

ctk62

He's only 24, and he bagged a WC on a shitty bike at 22. Money was def a factor, but as Marc showed even money is not enough for a WC to languish on an uncompetitive POS. So I think Yamaha convinced him they have a path back to competitiveness. Combine that with him being the undisputed big fish at Yamaha and it seems pretty rational

Regardless of the technical guarantees that the team now led by Bartolini may have given him, the other great asset of Lin Jarvis' management has been the chequebook. The €12 million or so in the new contract is more than double Bagnaia's base salary at Ducati, performance bonuses aside. Even if the Italian were to win his third consecutive title, he would not match that figure, which makes Quartararo the highest-paid rider on the grid.

Apparently FQ20 signed the Yamaha contract two weeks ago. I imagine MV12’s transmission troubles probably made FQ20 feel better about his decision.

I was wondering whether his decision was made post-gearbox issue. Interesting that they had already moved to a decision so quickly, after so few races to see what Yamaha was bringing to the table.

@ctk62 all good points. Obviously marc had banked a ton of cash before his decision was made - so I’m sure that made it a little easier. But it’s hard to argue when you get hit over the head with a big bag of coin :)

I do think Yamaha has shown a willingness to improve with internal changes etc. And it looks like the changes made Fabio feel comfortable enough with the direction. It’s just a matter of time... How long will it take these Japanese teams to improve given the aggressive concession strategies? For the sake of competition, hopefully not long.

How long will it take these Japanese teams to improve given the aggressive concession strategies?

I think GYTR is going to rebound faster than HRC due to less organizational slack.

First, I think Lin Jarvis is a better leader (vision, communication, relations, shrewdness, etc) than Alberto Puig so there’s that.

Second, HRC is undergoing much greater organizational churn because of the consolidation of its two and four wheel race programs. Puig as the link back to HRC is unlikely to maximize opportunities (whether those are created or naturally-occurring) for progress amidst the grind of organizational transition back in JPN.

But you never know…

If Aprilia can get their reliability issues sorted, it could be a minute before any of the JPN bikes are able to sort their way past a growing European dominance but I guess being one better than last is a start.

Man, I totally missed this. I don't have a problem with DORNA wanting to slow down the bikes but I don't think this is the best method. Mat Oxley should probably cut back on the Sherry when he writes.

If it’s tyres that ultimately make bikes go faster, tyres can also make bikes slower, so it follows that the best way to slow the bikes is by limiting grip. That way you reduce not only speeds through the corners – which is the main objective – you also reduce corner-exit speeds and thus straight-line speeds as well.

This is similar to what F1 implemented years ago. Pirelli was directed to limited the life of the tire to create more variables (stops, strategy etc).

If they engineered in lesser longevity, the riders would need to adapt their speed to maintain grip all the way til the end of the race - which of course would reduce speed overall. Safer? Could be. I’m not sure about what Oxley was suggesting with the blanket statement of “grip.”

ctk62

I dont like the 850cc thing. I think they are also moving to a spec fuel. Combine that with a mass flow limit and there is your power cap. Hell they can even get rid of all the other engine constraints as a result. If Ducati wants to run a 1.5L L twin, go for it.

The tire thing is interesting. Michelin hasn't been able to update the front tire to deal with the new tech (aero + ride heigh devices). So if 2027 regs get rid of that stuff will be back in balance again.

My only concern is with WSBK getting so fast we're gonna get back to a point where the race pace is comparable. Arguably the racing may look similar too. For better or worse right now MotoGP doesn't look like anything else.

bmart

Control Rider
Is anyone going to COTA for the GP? Looks like Baggers will be on the docket too. They were a hoot to watch at Road Atlanta.