The WorldSBK Thread

First race at Phillip Island is obviously behind us.

I was surprised about Stefano Manzi (SM62) in SSP class. I thought for sure he'd finish P1 in the Superpole and feature length races given that Nicolo Bulega (NB11) moved on to the SBK class.

Regarding the SBK races, I can only imagine how gutted JR65 feels given his former teammate AL22 and crew chief scored two victories on his old KRT ride (and AL22's lap last pass on AB01 was EPIC!) and his new Pata Yamaha bike went straight into the barriers like a flaming missile while his new teammate AL55 on the same bike scored two podiums. The month off before Catalunya should be good for JR65 and his crew to figure out the rear wheel chatter.

1709088937142.jpeg

bmart

Control Rider
JR wanted a new challenge...

It was a great weekend of racing to watch, but nothing like the last few years with the titanic trio. Time will tell if we can get back to that level. I feel bad for Toprak, too.

A lot of good stories so far with many more to come.

You need to start a GP thread!

TR54 reminded me of those mosquito fogging trucks that used to come through my neighborhood when I was a kid.

AL22 was right behind him when that happened and didn't seem phased.

Working on the MotoGP thread as we speak.

I really like WorldSBK and have been following it for a couple of years now. I definitely follow and prefer some riders over others but the series that's really got my attention this race season is the BSB. I know very little about the BSB riders and teams but the racing was over the top last year. Right now if I were to choose between flying over to see a WSBK, MotoGP or a BSB race, I'd choose BSB. Here's a thought - fly to Spain to watch a BSB race. Now that would be fun.

Good insight into this season’s unusual tire wear that WSBK saw (and MotoGP will see) at Phillip Island.

https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/worldsbk/phillip-island’s-new-asphalt-killing-worldsbk-tyres-and-breaking-records

bmart

Control Rider
i've been watching short videos on MotoGP the last week or so. For more $, you now get bombarded by a MotoGP commercial at the start of every single frackin' video. It isn't enough to give them your $, they want your time too. Just an FYI for folks trying to choose which series to follow/buy access for. Sticking with WSBK for me!

BSB at Donington would be awesome. I've been to the UK 80+ times but never managed to see a race yet! I'm rooting for Franco Bourne in BSB, underdog story.
The guy who headed up Franco’s tech team on his way through the class has a really entertaining video channel - Obsession Engineering. Total goofball until it comes time to ride, wrench or tweak some ECU settings.

Obsession Engineering

Yes, that's how I became interested in their success. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, if you show me a bit of behind the scenes and the personalities of the team I get invested pretty quick.
He just posted a short last night. Apparently they had 2 different clutch issues. Ended up having to swap motors over night. Looks like he still qualified 6th!