Thread Tap Larger or TimeSert?

physicistkev

Control Rider
From a structural perspective, there is only so much that tab and then the whole Assembly can handle.

Like BigKaley says, you will weaken the tab by making the hole bigger.

That being said, that tab is only so strong. If you are concerned about snapping bolts, replace the bolt in the frame slider with a stronger one. But, realize that you will put more force on the tab by doing this.

If you have scrapped threads, I would suggest that you run the proper tap 6mmx1.0 or whatever the correct ORIGINAL size is and then use a nut on the back of the tab to actually hold the bolt. This will not weaken the tab in any way and you can still use the original pieces.

Something to think about here is what the frame slider was meant to do. tittys04 (whats up Eric) is correct in that its not really meant to do anything but protect bodywork. However there are some setups that will support more weight and will protect more. This varies by bike. Beyond that the slider was meant to "slide" on pavement. Not standup to the bike crossing curbs or from track to dirt transitions. That will rip clipons and foot pegs off, there is no way a 6mm or even an 8mm bolt will withstand that type of shearing force (lateral force applied perpendicular to the bolt).

So, the moral is, make sure what the system will actually withstand and then make modifications so that all parts perform at a similar level within that system. Realize that the system will only work for its intended purpose and to its engineered levels. Don't over engineer one part thinking that it will improve the overall system as it will not.

Kevin

Meat

I would be very careful when strengthening a substructure part that is designed to protect a primary structure. If your frame slider bolt was made of unobtanium and didn't bend in your crash then your frame tab and/or frame would have.

Bolts are much easier to replace and holes repaired than it is to repair/replace primary structure (your frame).

Going with a bigger hole will only affect something called shear-out or net section stress. I am guessing the critical failure fir the tab is probably bending, but that is a total guess as I an unaware of how it is loaded in a crash condition. Opening the hole will not effect the bending strength of the tab, provided the fastener is properly installed.

If you had to drill out the hole, I would go with a weaker fastener material. A 8mm fastener only needs a material strength that is 42% the strength of a 6mm fastener, assuming perfect bending.

Gorecki

physicistkev;201555 wrote: Don't over engineer one part thinking that it will improve the overall system as it will not.
Thanks Kevin! I completely agree. My thinking was to make it stronger so it wouldn't snap and shatter like it did, but after looking at it more closely, I can't help but think there was already existing damage to the threads and I just didn't know it. And the weakened threads gave enough play for the slider to fold on impact. Just guessing but wouldn't be shocked. Regardless, the frames mounting points design simply doesn't suggest supporting anything heavier.

I'm going to attempt to preserve and repair the 6mm thread and use coil inserts (least mass removal required) to correct those portions I can't repair.

I was looking into the E-Z Lok Mikey was offering up (and greatly appreciated Mikey...BTW) and noticed for a 6mm insert I'd have to tap the hole to 10mm which seems to sort of defeat preserving the existing metal and structure in my situation. Maybe it results in being just as strong as it was? But not knowing figured I'd pickup the little coil's and go from there.

Gorecki

Meat;201601 wrote: I would be very careful when strengthening a substructure part that is designed to protect a primary structure. If your frame slider bolt was made of unobtanium and didn't bend in your crash then your frame tab and/or frame would have.

Meat

Gorecki;201609 wrote: Avatar reference? :cool:
I actually haven't watched it, but if they used one of my thoughts or phrases then I will sue them for a lifetime supply of movie popcorn!!!

Gorecki

Ruhe52;201626 wrote: Meat your NERD is showing!!!! Full on Friday?
Meat, we need to get a memo out to James Cameron and get you that popcorn! :popcorn:

And FWIW, NERD is GOOD! I make a living at geek'n and would still be a starving musician without it! ;)