Tips, tricks for new tire scrub it?

chaun

I usually scrub my tires in on the street before coming to the track but this year I put on race body work and plan on riding track only. Any tips or triks for getting the tires ready for the track or do you just take a few slow laps to get them scrubbed?

I know a guy that says he uses Goo-gone on his new tires but that just didn't sound right.

TwoTyres

I just take it easy for the first lap then just ride like normal. Last new set were broke in on a wet track and still had no issues.

I did see a rider go down directly in front of me in T0 at beaver on new rubber though.

jeff15

Control Rider
I wouldn't use any chemicals on your tire. Just take it easy the first session or two and you will be fine!

TheGrouch

Assuming the ambient temp is 60+, 1 slow lap, 1 medium lap, then knee on the deck. Smooth throttle/brake inputs and turn ins are critical during tire scrub in.

Goo Gone? Tell that guy to take up golf.

LesPow

Control Rider
Just do a couple laps nice and easy, braking early, and lean gradually until you are going fast enough to touch your knee. You should have them scrubbed in by the end of first session, not a big deal, just take it real slow your first 5++ laps. Look, Lean, Roll, nice and easy.

Haha thats funny I thought I was the first to post by the time I finished writing you already had 5++ responses.

jimgl3

from Sport Rider Mag...

To clear up the issue of how to ride on new tires, we cornered Cristoph Knoche, the Racing Manager for Pirelli Tire North America's Motorcycle Division. Knoche has been with Pirelli for 13 years, working with the company's R&D department while involved with World Supersport, where Pirelli won the World Championship with Fabien Foret while battling against the other brands prior to the series adopting Pirelli as the spec tire for World Supersport and World Superbike. More than just a racetrack technician, Knoche also has first-hand experience with the prototyping process and development of special racing tires.

First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."

Knoche discusses tires with Attack Kawasaki's Chaz Davis (right) and Richard Stanboli.
The next myth we see perpetuated nearly every time we watch the warm-up lap to a race. Riders begin weaving back and forth in apparent attempt to scuff the tread surface (which we've already discounted) and generate heat. The reality is that, according to every tire engineer that I've asked, there are far more effective ways of generating heat in a tire that are also much safer. Rather than weaving back and forth-which does little in the way of generating heat but does put you at risk asking for cornering grip from tires before they're up to temperature-you're far better off using strong acceleration and braking forces, and using them while upright, not leaned over! Acceleration and braking forces impart far more flex to the tire carcass, which is what generates the heat that then transfers to the tread compound as well (you often see Formula 1 cars weaving violently back and forth because automobile tires operate on a horizontal plane, so they have and use significant sidewall flex to generate heat).

Demps

Please don't ever put Goo-Gone or any other chemicals on your tires.

Be safe and have fun out there. I have no adive other than what has already been said.

:D

Bluenvy

i just take the warmers off and go gung ho from the start, but take a few laps just to be sure.

Katie785

I had my first set of brand new tires last year.. it was VIR and about 35 degrees. I took it easy (smooth, consistent) for about 3 laps... BUT watching the top runners also helps: they throw on a brand new set right before a race. They do the warm up lap (1 lap) and then grid up - they are 110% pushing it through the first hot lap and on

JVance

+1 to what Katie said. You can Pretty much ignore the fact you are on new tires. For a track day taking it easy the first lap or so for each session is good advise. I have raced new tires and you have your knee on the ground in the first corner. Hell, I've seen guys leave the stickers on them. I take those off but apparently that doesn't really matter since they are in the center of the tire.

John
WERA Exp # #607
NESBA A #607

Quickone4u

jimgl3;40775 wrote: from Sport Rider Mag...

To clear up the issue of how to ride on new tires, we cornered Cristoph Knoche, the Racing Manager for Pirelli Tire North America's Motorcycle Division. Knoche has been with Pirelli for 13 years, working with the company's R&D department while involved with World Supersport, where Pirelli won the World Championship with Fabien Foret while battling against the other brands prior to the series adopting Pirelli as the spec tire for World Supersport and World Superbike. More than just a racetrack technician, Knoche also has first-hand experience with the prototyping process and development of special racing tires.

First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."

Knoche discusses tires with Attack Kawasaki's Chaz Davis (right) and Richard Stanboli.
The next myth we see perpetuated nearly every time we watch the warm-up lap to a race. Riders begin weaving back and forth in apparent attempt to scuff the tread surface (which we've already discounted) and generate heat. The reality is that, according to every tire engineer that I've asked, there are far more effective ways of generating heat in a tire that are also much safer. Rather than weaving back and forth-which does little in the way of generating heat but does put you at risk asking for cornering grip from tires before they're up to temperature-you're far better off using strong acceleration and braking forces, and using them while upright, not leaned over! Acceleration and braking forces impart far more flex to the tire carcass, which is what generates the heat that then transfers to the tread compound as well (you often see Formula 1 cars weaving violently back and forth because automobile tires operate on a horizontal plane, so they have and use significant sidewall flex to generate heat).
+1 Exactly, on both accounts! I've never bothered scrubbing in any of the new Corsa 3s I've put on at any time. I do although make sure I have plenty of heat in them before I start throwing down. Warm them up and let'em rip!:D

Blaise

This is an obvious comment... but. CHECK YOUR PRESSURES FIRST!

I nearly highsided (and then crashed) when I didnt check my rear pressure on new tires. Had 55psi cold.

Otherwise, ride slow for a few laps, then enjoy.

jimgl3

Blaise;40964 wrote: This is an obvious comment... but. CHECK YOUR PRESSURES FIRST!

I nearly highsided (and then crashed) when I didnt check my rear pressure on new tires. Had 55psi cold.

Otherwise, ride slow for a few laps, then enjoy.
must have gotten them mounted at a dealership ! LOL!

Blaise

jimgl3;40967 wrote: must have gotten them mounted at a dealership ! LOL!
Actually, the opposite. I was to the dealership setting my tires to ~35psi. I *always* checked them because I didn't trust them, but this was the first time mounting tires at the track and (at the time I didn't know) the tires are filled to seal the bead, and its your responsibility to air them down.

I learned that lesson REALLY quick. :doh:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Poor Man's Tire Warmers

Another thing that those who don't have warmers can do to help keep as much initial heat in the tires as possible is leave your bike parked in the sunshine.
Yeah, this wouldn't have done much the first weekend of the year at Barber.

As the season goes on when it's 90-100 degrees in the air, if you keep your bike in the sun, the tires absorb some heat off the pavement. Add that to the sun's rays baking your tires between sessions and you're really not that far away from operating temperature when you go out on the grid.

jimgl3

you know i could shoot myself for getting my wheels powder coated white now. at the time i was unaware of such things, but now i know if i had left them black and parked it in the sun like you say i could heat the buns pretty well... i even thought of putting one of those silver car dashboard protector things behind the wheels facing the sun !

btw... how does that Yuengling lager compare to Heineken?

Blaise

jimgl3;40998 wrote: never would have guessed that. thank you.
Me either. I went out at the very end of the first session (white flag just got put out) so I could get at least one lap in on a track which was new to me (Summit Main). I figured I'd be just fine for one lap at a slow pace... WRONG.

rk97

D-Zum;41009 wrote: Another thing that those who don't have warmers can do to help keep as much initial heat in the tires as possible is leave your bike parked in the sunshine.
Yeah, this wouldn't have done much the first weekend of the year at Barber.

As the season goes on when it's 90-100 degrees in the air, if you keep your bike in the sun, the tires absorb some heat off the pavement. Add that to the sun's rays baking your tires between sessions and you're really not that far away from operating temperature when you go out on the grid.
I understand the logic, and this certainly can't hurt, but 100 degrees isn't 150 degrees. Isn't that the "low" setting on most warmers?