tire flipping?

MB3

So I know some guys are flipping tires. I took mine to my local shop to have the guy flip the tire rotation due to the unequal wear on the right side and he wouldn't do it. Told me he didnt want to be responsible for the carcass coming apart at the track. He said if I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed that it was ok then he would. Long story short, I called and they (Continental) said they "do not recommend" it for any of their tires. I am running the Conti Attack sports, a dot street tire designed for occasioal track days, 0 degree constuction, similar to Michelin Pilot Powers, I think, but much cheaper. So my question is, would it have been ok to flip it? If not what tire is a good choice for both street and track that can be flipped? Thanks in advance.

ridelater

never ran your brand, i always flip my rear tires. you shouldn't flip fronts. Like most will say its cheaper to buy tires then bikes, so if your thinking about it/worrying then slap on new rubber

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
DCIII is a great tire for both street and track, I've seen lots of Advanced riders using them. I flip my tires and never had a prob.

physicistkev

Control Rider
I have flipped rears. I have yet to flip a front since my front tire lasts about 3 rears. I run DCIII's. ($240 mounted and balanced at the track from the tire truck) This is all at "A" pace on my lead sled.

JohnS

physicistkev;6055 wrote: I have flipped rears. I have yet to flip a front since my front tire lasts about 3 rears. I run DCIII's. ($240 mounted and balanced at the track from the tire truck) This is all at "A" pace on my lead sled.

Just a heads up, I was told there was a price increase. If anyone is buying tires I would call to confirm the price.

KneeDragr

i just started flipping the rear recently and will continue to do so. No issues, just make sure to get the wheel re-balanced because there will be a lot more rubber on one side of the tire.

Motomoon

No manufacture recommend flipping tires, especially a DOT street tire that could be ridden in the rain.

I can't speak for the results of the Continentals. In 6 years of changing bike tires I think I might have seen a Continental on my changer once. Its very likely that it will be fine but I don't blame the mechanic for not flipping it around and covering his butt

The Pirelli Diabblo Corsa 3 has served many track and street riders well. They can be flipped to extend the life of the rear tires

barry38

I'm a service manager at a dealership and I won't flip tires for my customers, even though I will flip mine without giving it a second thought. It's more a matter of exposing the business to potential liability than anything else.

Let's say I flip a tire for someone, at their request, they go out and crash. Now lawyers are involved. They will do their best to make sure they can tie the flipped tire in as a cause/contributer of the accident.

For the same reasons, I won't plug or repair a street tire. Too much liability.