Tire temps

HokieRider

Just a curious newbie question:

What temps should i expect out of my tires during a track day?

i know that the temps varies depending on the track, the tire, pressure, air temp etc. But im just curious to get a ballpark number to start with.

I was at VIR North a few weeks ago and pulled tire temps with an infrared temp gun and recorded about 110-120 degrees F.

thanks for the help

sobottka

depends on the type of tires, compound, weather conditions and your pace. 120 might be ok for street tires ???

HokieRider

Another curious tire temp question:

I understand that tire temp varies a lot depending on the brand, bike, track, speed etc. But what about front tire vs. back? i take temps after every run and in general the rear temp is usually 20 degrees higher than the front. Is this normal? I would think that the front would get hotter because of the pressure you put on it going into the corners.

thanks

DUNLOP-RTS

HokieRider;237722 wrote: Another curious tire temp question:

I understand that tire temp varies a lot depending on the brand, bike, track, speed etc. But what about front tire vs. back? i take temps after every run and in general the rear temp is usually 20 degrees higher than the front. Is this normal? I would think that the front would get hotter because of the pressure you put on it going into the corners.

thanks
There is not a target temp or difference in temp. Every track is different and each rider can produce different temps.

Dunlop tecs use the temp gauge to check for overheating, that is the main use for that tool. It is most useful at tracks that are known for overheating like Daytona, Willow, Miller and Indy.

You may find when you go to another track its different. You may also notice if you drive in harder the front goes up in temp. Also riders with 1000cc bike may have higher rear temps if they drive hard out of the corners, or if there is long straights where heat is generated from prolonged time on the throttle, like Road America and Daytona.