Tires for wet track day?

jhoyle3

I'm attending the YCRS at NC Bike this week - and the track day after. The weather looks wet. I normally run track day slicks in the dry but should I switch to a sport bike tire with some siping to handle the wet? Thoughts? thanks.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Hey there.
I'll be riding with you for the YCRS.
I've got a set of Q5's I'm trying out, personally.

Hoping we have some better weather, but that's just how it goes.
Be safe, and see you out there.

Kneedragger34

I wish perelli offered their 'wet' tires in the US. I hate riding in the rain, so a full rain tire is a waste. But once the rain stops I'd like to get out there.pirelli_moto_diablo_wet_base_992x992.png

Laszlo

Will be curious how wet it'll be. I did YCSR last August at my local track NJMP last August, torrential rain for both days. Fun on the Africa Twin i did it on, but was hoping to have no rain at least one day of the school and then one day of track day. Good learning experience i guess if it does.

For rain tires, do people swap out deducted wheels?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Any true street tire will be fine, keep in mind they are not designed for high performance rain riding like true rain tires are but should be suitable for less than standing water fast pace. I coached on the roso coral 3's this weekend in full rain tire weather and was surprised at how well they did for thr conditions not aqua planing and only a few slides when pushing the cane on the side of the tire.

Stickboy274

Tire Guy
Right now Monday looks like rain in the morning. A hypersport street tire should be good ( Q5s, or the Mutant looks like it would do great). I believe you will be running drills in the morning, not pushing it.

bmart

Control Rider
Derek, please tell us more about the Mutants for street and track use. I saw my first pair recently at a shop. They look interesting.

Stickboy274

Tire Guy
Derek, please tell us more about the Mutants for street and track use. I saw my first pair recently at a shop. They look interesting.

I haven't gotten to play with them yet. I've looked at them and how they are made. I think they would be good for intermediate track conditions, and novice group riders.

I want to talk to Cori and see if I can get some to have on hand.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
I have a pair of these on a spare set of rims. They are fantastic on a damp track. Lots of grip, and work great for the few times they are needed.

michelin_pilot_road4_gt_tires_750x750.jpg

When the track drys out they overheat quickly and get greasy, But by that point put the slicks back on.

BGalh1812

I wish perelli offered their 'wet' tires in the US. I hate riding in the rain, so a full rain tire is a waste. But once the rain stops I'd like to get out there.View attachment 9857
I actually picked up one of these at Lightning today and it worked great. I generally don't shill, especially for something as subjective as tires, but with steady rain and standing water, it worked for my Novice self just fine. I had a Dunlop straight rain in the front. I had a pucker moment coming into turn 1 a little hot, but everything held together, so I'm looking forward to rain again, but hopefully without flash flooding thrown in.

That's what I was referring to. Don't see any vendors in the US that sell them. Only visor shop.
I confirmed with Mark Tenn (Pirelli rep in Florida) these are not hard to get but are hard to find with vendors. Vendors don’t want to purchase them and have them age out. Then it’s a loss.