Track-able bike?

DethWshBkr

Hopefully this isn't the most ridiculous question ever asked here. I am hoping to start in on some track days. Probably only 1-2 this year, and hopefully some more in the future. I have an '07 CBR1000RR, but it is a genuine Repsol, and I'm not too keen on taking my ridiculously beautiful condition bike out on a track much. I'm a former MX racer, and so I know I'll not be satisfied for long with just "doing it". I know I'll want to push. With pushing comes accidents.

I have been looking around for an '04-'07 1000, or an '07-10 600. Figure if I would have a problem, it's not my Repsol.

Well, I just started thinking - my dad and brother both own an '08 KX450f, which was converted to an amateur pro level flat track/short track bike. It has a heavily, heavily modified engine, and of course is set up for flat tracking. It also has the components to convert back to a MX bike. They no longer race or ride it, and it is sitting in my parent's shed, hoping to some day get sold.

My question then is this - if this bike were basically turned into a Supermoto (both brakes, suspension lowered or raised appropriately, such and so forth, with good track rubber, and of course geared more appropriately - would that be an acceptable machine for track daying? I don't see anything in the riders manual that specifically excludes a converted MX bike into a Supermoto style.

Obviously in the event of an incident, a 230lb bike with no real body would be far better to repair. Obviously it would have the speed/handling drawbacks of a MX bike, instead of a road bike.
Just a thought.....

bmart

Control Rider
Someone who knows will chime in.

But..I'm curious. What's the top speed? Is heavily modified mean reliably running around all day near redline?

DethWshBkr

n amateur pro level fl
Someone who knows will chime in.

But..I'm curious. What's the top speed? Is heavily modified mean reliably running around all day near redline?

I mean, flat track racers run the red line, but not for super extended periods. I would figure a gearing change would be absolutley necessary. I know my bone stock KTM 520SX with a 4 speed, in the desert bounced the limiter at about 90 mph. But 5 speed? I dunno. I'm sure if it was geared really high, she could hold good speed, just be suffering on the low end. But then, a 200+ lb lighter bike, maybe not a big deal. Obviously this wouldn't be ideal as a full time track bike, but I'm just wondering if it would be "enjoyable" at all for a shortish while.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say with a gearing change, she'd probably top out power wise at about 110 or so. I doubt on the limiter, just power. It would also be a lot cheaper and easier to rebuild an engine out of one of them. I rebuild my KTMs many times over the thousands of hours on the bikes.

tdelegram

Control Rider
As noted above top speed will be your issue, there are a few track like Shenendoha at summit and patriot at vir where a super moto won't loose to much on top end, the current crop of 300, 390 and 400 all would have a top speed a little higher too. Your cbr won't do anything you don't make it and a little self preservation or fear is actually a good thing if you're looking to keep your bike and body in one piece. If you're just doing 4 or less days take the cbr, if you get hooked after first weekend you can fit replacement parts on cbr in advance of crashing or get a clapped out Sv for 2k and send it.

bmart

Control Rider
There may also be the option for a rental, if you just want to get your feet wet.

I ran my old VTR250 (29 HP/330 lbs) at a few track and it was tough. The differential in speed at the end of the straights and the acceleration getting onto the straight was gigantic. For me, it was a risk thing. You would have an absolute hoot at VIR Patriot, as mentioned, and we always see a lot of SM bikes there. Come on down!

Slightly bigger bike.

And a race there last year.

mpusch

Micah
Echoing the sentiments above. As mentioned, the specific track you're going to will probably be the deciding factor on whether it would work or not. Some high speed tracks you'll have a serious speed differential and the director might not allow it, while on other technical tracks you would probably have the perfect bike!

If you're shopping for a track bike, 600 super sports make great all-around track bikes, but that's coming from a very biased perspective :D

Hope you make it out there, regardless of what you're on!

CBRtist

You’ll most likely get frustrated with the speed differential on larger tracks. Even with adjusted gearing, it will be a challenge.

Here is an idea though: why not do both? CBR on big trackdays, 450 on MiniGP days? Your 450 would be in the MiniGP motard class. I don’t know where you are located, but their schedule this year is also incorporating smaller “big tracks”.

I’m riding a 600, 750 for larger tracks, and 300 and 100 on mini tracks this year. No need to be dedicated to just one or the other, and coming from flat track, you would adapt well to mini.

Good luck

Last edited: