Trail braking Advice for NJMP

Pseudolus

May 31, 2012
Happy Sunday!

In my hopes to never have to find the edge that shouldn't be crossed, I'm hoping some of you expert trail braking folks can help me. Using NJMP Thunderbolt turn 1 and assuming you're running at maximum pace, how much, percentage wise, are you braking at turn in?

Can you also tell me your thoughts on this feeling? I'm heading down the straights and when I hit my braking marker, I start gradually to increase pressure on the lever (thanks Judy!). As I become confident I'm not going to make the turn, I reach full braking to save me. The bike now feels like it's a 10,000 pound dead weight and my mind is screaming "you can't turn in like this or you will lose the front." Suddenly, as the speed slows, I reduce braking and the bike feels like it can maneuver again, so I proceed to turn in. As I hit the apex, I think to myself, "you just scrubbed way too much speed off." Each lap the process repeats...

Please help me. :D

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
Ha !!! Fahdee your so funny I asked the same ? to many of my most admired and they told me to stop being a pussy !!!!!

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
Beginner in "I" Group #13

By the way you know damn well your not a beginner in I group mo fo

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
REALLY OTTO well it's a good thing that I don't give a fuck what you think LOL LOL LOL

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
otto I would like to be clear on what the post was that gave it away that I was drinking or that I was drunk as you imply !!!!

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
Oh and just to be clear Ott0
Which post or what words did I say that prompted your post
" And that's why you don't drink and post on the internet. LOL"

LesPow

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
Happy Monday Fahdee,
There are many things you can do to help this process, so lets start with getting your body in the proper position before braking, then find out what are your eyes doing. Make sure that your eyes are tracking 2 seconds ahead. Then maybe start braking earlier and lighter, but for a longer time. This will help with entry and mid-corner speed, then you can adjust and go back to a later brake mark. For e.g. I get off the gas at 5 and if I am done braking before the apex I could either brake later or modulate braking so I carry more speed, this might be a thing you can try later or after mastering your entry speed feel/guage. In other words you have to be comfortable knowing that you are actually able to make the turn, by developing entry speed. Baby steps work on only one turn and dont go crazy off the bat pushing too soon. Relax your arms and use your legs and core to hold your upper body under braking and leaning. You should be able to wiggle your fingers at all times. So I would say start with training to look or track your vision ahead...coming down the straight, get body in position....as you approach the off gas/braking mark trail eyes towards turn in mark, when at turn in mark eyes to apex. Your peripheral vision plays a role here as you look towards the apex you are not turning as yet but peripherally looking at turn mark and the bike should still be going straight, then as you start turning you brake a little less but still modulating braking pressure to adjust entry speed. At times youll learn that you can improve your enrty speed and as you stated that is a problem because you slow down too much. So after fixing your vision, work on braking less, or earlier for a longer time to develop your entry speed feeling. Baby steps. Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: steftoff

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks Les !!! I Know It's gonna help me a bunch cuz i'm still struggling getting into 1 at "pace" I think that the vision part of it is the hardest part for me cuz I tend to look down to much but correct me if i'm wrong here but what I feel like you are describing to fahdee is basically trail braking . uh with your eyes up!!! I doubt you remember les cuz I was in B group at the time but you spent 2 sessions with me on picking my head up . It was at NYST last summer ! It made such a difference . Great big fat guy 6'6" 300lbs really good looking .
To be honest it all started with me making an illegal pass

JimmyW

N2
Mar 20, 2013
Now that I'm thinking about it Les I might be too drunk to make any kind of coherent post. MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK OTTO HE MUST have been at my daughters baptism today and watched as I drank like a fish . He was so sure of it that he posted

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Great post, Les! Overbraking for turn 1 continues to be my nemesis as well. I agree with your assessment that, in my case, it is not getting my vision out and scanning for the apex soon enough. Something to work on this upcoming event! Always something to work on improving no matter what level you're at!

Reactions: LesPow

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Jul 13, 2008
Asbury, NJ
Fahdee,

When using trail braking technique properly, entering a turn and approaching the apex will be a smoother and more controlled affair. Don't try to learn everything in just a few laps or a session, it will take time. You're at a point where attention to your brake marker is absolutely essential. From your marker, release smoothly and gradually until you reach the apex of a corner (whatever that is for the corner at hand). When I started, I found myself saying, "shit... the bike has stopped and I haven't even reached the apex". So... I slowly moved my marker(s) further down until it felt right. As you get comfortable, speed will come and you'll be actually doing it more smoothly with greater confidence.

I noticed the comment in your message "I reduce braking and the bike feels like it can maneuver again". One of my greatest take aways from the YCRS program was this: my front brake is part of my steering control/mechanism. For me, the "van rides" @ YCRS really drove this home for me. As a result, trail braking provided me with better directional control as well.

The only other advise I'll offer is to find yourself a rabbit to run with and keep your vision ahead of you, especially through corners.

We felt this topic was important enough to make it one of our first blog entries: http://www.n2td.org/trail-braking/ - compliments of Nick.

Pseudolus

May 31, 2012
Oh and just to be clear Ott0
Which post or what words did I say that prompted your post
I am in tears laughing and haven't made it past your posts yet Jimmy and Otto!