Trailer doors?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I'm purchasing an enclosed trailer this winter for next season. From what I've read I should get as big as I can tow. I get that but what I don't understand is why so many people like barn doors on the back of the trailer instead of a ramp door. I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer that I have used for the past 15 years in my lawn mowing business. It has a ramp door and I think that it would be better than barn doors for loading a motorcycle. I know I could have barn doors and use a ramp but I just don't see why I would. Can someone please tell me why barn doors are better. I'm willing to listen.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
To me only better if where I park at home doesn't allow use of ramp. Otherwise always a ramp door

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It's just a preference. Really, loading and unloading the bike is a very small part of justifying the ramp. Some people like the barn doors because you now have that much more "wall" space to hang stuff on. Very handy when your space is limited. A small ramp takes up a very small amount of room for the extra wall space gained.

prplppleatr239

Mine has a single barn door, because that's what ended up being the best available option on Craigslist when I was searching. Using a ramp is a non issue.

One other thing to consider is height. The taller the trailer, the more wind drag, and more fuel you'll use pulling it. The shorter it is, the more likely you are to bang your head loading or unloading the bike.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I'm won't bump my head too often. I walk in and out of my work trailer dozens of times a day. After 15 years I've learned to duck. It took a couple of knots though. Since I'm short low ceiling height isn't a problem either.

tdelegram

Control Rider
If I had to change anything on my travel trailer that I purchased new and custom I would have added 6 to 12 inches in ceiling height and that is it. I am 6 foot and so is ceiling. I have ramp rear door and I sprung for a camper style front door, preinstalled lighting, finished interior walls, Heat and AC and V-nose cabinets with a work table. I did go 6x12 single axle to avoid PA inspections as dual axles have a braking system and since my tow vehicle is an F250 super duty I wasn't worried about the challenge of stopping the trailer. I hope this helps.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I am a fan of the ramp door myself. I like the idea of more storage area on the barn doors, but as of now, I haven't had any limitations in storage yet. I have a 7x14 tandem axle trailer with a flat nose. If I could change anything, it would be to have the 4 foot v-nose with the front exit ramp door. Rob Cichielo has my ideal trailer. When you are ready to upgrade Rob, let me know! I am also 6'8" tall, so unless I get something like the "Mothership", I will always have to duck.

For an example, I used to own a 6x12 v-nose with a single axle that was 6'6" tall. My current 7x14 flat-nose tandem axle is only 6' tall and pulls much easier. In my case, height made more of a difference than the v-nose made up for it.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Most tow behind trailers have rather low floors (15" wheels) so loading with a ramp is easy, much easier than say a PU truck would be. If you also camp in your trailer then an extra door (vs a ramp) might be a consideration.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Ramp door all the way. The only way I'd even consider barn doors is if I had some sort of trailer storage limitation that would prevent opening and closing of a ramp door where I stored the trailer. Another consideration toward this is because don't forget - once you have an enclosed trailer you start to figure out other things it can be used for. Like garden tractors, appliances, etc. One last advantage - Ramp doors are stronger. It's a heavier one piece unit that effectively inserts into the rear opening. It provides more structural integrity to the trailer when it's getting pulled. Not really a big deal, but....

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
My first enclosed trailer had barn doors. It worked. I didn't hate it. Hauling the ramp with us kind of sucked but we dealt with it.

Toy Hauler has a ramp door. I won't go back, if I can at all help it..but then again..it is a toy hauler so it brings so much more to the table than my old enclosed box trailer.

Any way you look at it, enclosed is just the way to go. That's the biggest and most significant feature either way. Your toys are sheltered from theft to a degree, and protected from the elements
during transport as well as when parked. And it can be used to shelter you in the paddock. A wise investment all around.

HavocCat

Chris
The only reason I have barn doors is because the guy local who was selling an un-used pretty much brand new trailer for half price happened to have barn doors on it. ;)