Ugly 1000 CC bikes

LOrtega

Control Rider
Jul 13, 2008
I dont get it why are all the bike makers trying to build the most god awful looking 1000CC bikes possible.

The 08/09 cbr1000rr great performing bike but Gezz can anyone look at it and say WOW thats sexy bike its what I want to ride.

The 08/09 Kawi ZX10R Same deal pleanty of everything you want in a package that leaves much to desire

The ALL NEW gsxr 1000 looks like the 750 and 600 no surprise but whats up with the 2 hugh exhaust canisters

The NEW R1, I know we back yamaha here and the R6 and R1 have been sexy for years
but the new 09 R1 is a leap forward in technology and step back in appeal

please guys tell me if I am being over critical

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
You are not mistaken. The main problem with the God-awful exhausts is the government placing ever restricting emissions on all vehicles. Get the 5% of really bad vehicles off the road or fixed and you've probably fixed 35% of the problem.

As far as the body work goes, they might look better in race trim. Get an after-market exhaust and some race glass and we might have something.

snikwad

Jul 15, 2008
the CBR is growing on me, the Kawi looks sick in race trim, and the R1 will be fine as long as you get rid of the ugly stock potato shooters

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Jul 11, 2008
the oly one i like is the CBR, the new R1 still looks ugly even in race trim.
09r1.jpg

phoenix

Jul 15, 2008
Many of the new 1000's look like someone took a belt sander to the nose. I can only assume this change was for improved aerodynamics, but it does not look good to me.

D-Swens

Jul 12, 2008
The exhausts are made to meet initial emmissions and gov't crap and then to be taken off immediately, so don't judge the bikes on that, they're all ugly as sin from 1k's all the way down to the 600's across the board...

As far as the rest of the design, I think its pretty much just a progression of style. There are a lot of design characteristics that we're not used to seeing, so the eyes aren't going to digest the form of these baby's at first glance. As for me, I was ready to see a big change. I actually do think the 1000RR is very very sexy. I hated it at first, but it has really grown on me the more I've worked on them, especially with the right custom paint job I think that bike looks great (though they completely copied the 848 headlights). Minimalism is the new design king, so Yamaha had to jump on board and lose a lot of the excess it has been known for on the fairing design. I can't believe they went ahead with those headlights:banghead:, but I guess it was a "function over form" mentality which was nice to see for a change.
I'm usually in love with the GSXR 1k's, but got to sit on the '09 last weekend and it wasn't love at first sight. The bike looks like the usual progression from suzuki, with no big surprises style wise or performance wise. I think their problem with the headlight is the exact opposite from Yamaha's, they did way too much with the damn headlight. It looks like it should be on the front of batman's new bike or something:nada:

I guess not everyone can design a bike as strikingly beautiful as the RC-8, that thing looks even more beautiful in person:adore:

Bifferone

Sep 30, 2008
The 08 CBR1000RR grew on me last year and I bought one in March then sold my R1. I've had a '00R1 and '04R1 and they WERE the sexiest bikes out on the market. The GSXR line is just plain and all look alike. The Kawi is just plain ugly. The new R1 is hidious looking. I hit the International Motorcycle Show in NYC yesterday and the R1 had a ton of junk in the trunk if you know what I mean and the front end ram-air headlight set-up is less then desireable. The only thing it has going for itself is the performance.

I think Ducati has the styling to beat. Too bad the pricing is too high.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Here's a couple more images of the '09 R1 in race trim. I think everything looks good except for the huge intakes on the nose. Other than that, I'll take one!

3089370719_7259c0fa1f.jpg

3093850397_f4b5bf3078.jpg

Rick Johnson

Jul 11, 2008
:agree: with Jim those air intake holes are to big and ugly.Hopefully Yamaha will let us test them out this year.:D

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
This is a picture from the Sharkskinz website of the front. It looks like some kind of big eyed bug looking at you. I hope the race bikes on TV don't use this bodywork.

4108f.jpg

snikwad

Jul 15, 2008
When I get home I'll post huge pics of spies and sykes race bikes.

I think they're sick looking in race trim.

tapcon

Oct 5, 2008
I have always loved Yamaha...but this year's R1 is ugly. But to each their own.