Used Metzeler K3's or buy new tires

kcchu07720

Hi, Any suggestions/opinions are welcome.

Here's the dilemma,

I have a BMW S1000RR road bike with 5k mostly miles on a set of Metzeler Racetek K3's. I love the tires but I haven't had them on the track.

I found a sweet deal on a 2nd S2000r (only 1,400 miles) and I'm making that the dedicated track bike. Unfortunately the 2nd bike came with the Conti SportAttacks which from what I read are the worst tire of the three that BMW supplied as OEM.

Long term I'm going with either the Dunlop D211 DP-A or the Q2 (probably the DP-A).

Personally I would ride with the Metzelers and if I crash I wouldn't feel bad about the tire decision.

The crashes I've seen at Thunderbolt in Millville and the slip I've felt on other bikes and tires are on the left side since the track is Right turn biased, My tire wear is in the center.

Do you think the Metzlers will pass tech (see attached Picture, most of the white stuff is garage dust)?

If the general consensus is that they won't pass tech. Then I'll end up ordering a set of Dunlops and a Cycle Hill Tire Changer. (I've already proven that I can balance my tires correctly)

All I'm trying to do is minimize the waste, but safety is the most important.

Thanks for you help.
Keith