Van and Trailer Pimpin

EddieRo

Hey Everyone,

Looking forward to seeing you all this season if I can get out a few days. I use a high top Ford E350 XL van as my track day hauler. Some of you know it and have accepted the free candy and ensuing fuzzy memories... :eek:

Need to upgrade the inside with all kinds of hooks and nifty storage tricks. I added a second TRS setup and now space is a little tight with two bikes loaded. Any tips or input are appreciated. Keep in mind that I have windows in the rear as it was once a 13 passenger van so the windows are an obstacle. I also still have two passenger seats behind the driver seat as well. Everything is pretty much placed wherever it will fit.

Van Contents:
Two bikes
two chairs
ez up
two gas cans
yamaha generator (small form factor)
folding mc ramp
harbor freight walk up ramp
cooler
leathers
helmets, etc
tires
smallish tool box

Any thoughts are appreciated. Here is a pic of the outside:
2013-04-21_13-28-34_704.jpg

Here is the inside (all seats are gone except two on the far right of the photo). Will try to take a pick this week with at least one bike inside.
03E350f.jpg

Thanks,

Ed

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Nice! Talk to CR Lou, maybe PM him or something, he has a van as well and can probably provide some great ideas.

JBowen33

Hey Ed hope all is going well!

I can't remember if you have a hitch or not on your van but before I got an enclosed trailer I used to put my bike in the bed of my truck and then in my hitch I had a cheap carry all from harbour freight (49.99) with a huge truck box I got used on Craigslist for 60 bucks. It locked so it was secure and I used j hooks with wing nuts to fasten it to the carry all so I could take the box and carry on apart for storage. In my opinion a decent amount of more storage space without causing worse gas mileage and still be able to put in in your van when your at home when your not using it. Also it's light enough to be able to remove it to put your bikes in and out.

Joe

Ducati 999s (Track Duty)

MrK

I have this feeling you probably got that for less then what I paid for my 6x12. Man I didnt even know they made vans this big, I'm jelly.

EddieRo

JBowen33;301923 wrote: Hey Ed hope all is going well!

I can't remember if you have a hitch or not on your van but before I got an enclosed trailer I used to put my bike in the bed of my truck and then in my hitch I had a cheap carry all from harbour freight (49.99) with a huge truck box I got used on Craigslist for 60 bucks. It locked so it was secure and I used j hooks with wing nuts to fasten it to the carry all so I could take the box and carry on apart for storage. In my opinion a decent amount of more storage space without causing worse gas mileage and still be able to put in in your van when your at home when your not using it. Also it's light enough to be able to remove it to put your bikes in and out.

Joe

Ducati 999s (Track Duty)
Hey Joe, how is Louisiana? All is well here. Good to hear from you. Just trying to maximize space. Been thinking of a hitch so thats a good idea. Hope to see you this year! PM me.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
You did not mention if you were planning on using this for anything other than hauling bikes. If that is your only use, I would attach some plywood to the inside. We have a Sprinter at work and we riveted plywood on both sides and ran e-rail down the sides to strap items in. You might not benefit from the e-rail, but this would allow you to mount items on the walls. I have an 8-foot row of Gladiator Gear Track Channel mounted high on my trailer wall. I have a couple of baskets to hold lightweight, but bulky items (Sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, etc.). I also have hooks that hold my stands. You could also mount d-rings or the like to have your canopy or taller items secured upright.

Here is an image of the Gladiator product in the 4-foot version:

17ebbb07-e31b-43a8-afe1-2c481ac72bbf_300.jpg

andykurz

Those hitch platforms are pretty nice. I have one and it can hold a lot of weight. They turn up on craigslist a lot.

EddieRo

Thunderace;301932 wrote: You did not mention if you were planning on using this for anything other than hauling bikes. If that is your only use, I would attach some plywood to the inside. We have a Sprinter at work and we riveted plywood on both sides and ran e-rail down the sides to strap items in. You might not benefit from the e-rail, but this would allow you to mount items on the walls. I have an 8-foot row of Gladiator Gear Track Channel mounted high on my trailer wall. I have a couple of baskets to hold lightweight, but bulky items (Sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, etc.). I also have hooks that hold my stands. You could also mount d-rings or the like to have your canopy or taller items secured upright.

Here is an image of the Gladiator product in the 4-foot version:

17ebbb07-e31b-43a8-afe1-2c481ac72bbf_300.jpg
Yes, was looking at these at home depot. I don't use the van for anything else so I am pretty much free to alter it in any way I see fit.

EddieRo

Here is an update. View of van with gear and two bikes from the rear and from the front. This was just prior to my trip to NC Bike a few weeks ago. Added some very basic home depot hooks to the plastic wall in the rear of the van and rigged a ramp holder. I need the strap from the ramp to go to an old seat belt mounting point to finally hold it in place but it works well and keeps the ramp on top of the wheel well and against the wall. Need to mount some hooks on the rear doors so I can hang my stands.
20140314_113804.jpg

20140314_114501.jpg

rdecae

A lot of people do not realize the 350 van can have a FRONT mount hitch as well. Add a rear hitch and a front hitch. You could then put a cargo carrier front and back. Or my solution would be class 5 hitch front and rear with one of those bike carriers in each hitch. Load one bike on front and one on rear. All the gear inside and you will have all the room you need.

andykurz

It doesn't seem like there is much room for your kidnap victims, but otherwise looks like it will work really well for you!

EddieRo

andykurz;n592688 wrote: It doesn't seem like there is much room for your kidnap victims, but otherwise looks like it will work really well for you!
Keep in mind that aside from the drive and passenger, there is still a short two seat bench. That's what you see next to the front wheel of the bike. The bike also does not have to be so far forward. There's lots of room for the passengers and their gear in that area.

jtdbsr

That is a sweet setup right there. How much of a pain is loading the bike with the relatively low door height?

EddieRo

jtdbsr;n592718 wrote: That is a sweet setup right there. How much of a pain is loading the bike with the relatively low door height?
Loading isn't bad at all. I have a pretty long loading ramp that folds in half and is curved so the bike doesn't bottom out. Strap the ramp to the bumper and push it up to a friend or use a step and throttle it in by yourself. I've done both. The left side gets awkward since you are pushing the bike from the right side. I use a plastic step that you can see in the back of the van on top of the blue bin. You can also see the black ramp with the orange strap just to the right.