Versa Haul sport bike carrier

MaidenNJ

Has anyone ever used this type of carrier? I have an H1 hummer to lock it on to so weight wont be and issue. I don't have room to store a full trailer, so this is really my only option. I'm most concerned about loading and unloading ease with this since I will often be the only one there in my pit.

stow

I have a Versa Haul and it works well. It does have one problem and that is the front wheel chock. If the front wheel starts to turn your bike will start to lean and maybe even fall. I nearly lost my R6 due to this. Luckily it held on and only managed to bend the clipon bars. It really needs a wheel cradle on the front similar to the Baxley wheel chock. Oh and it is not easy to load by yourself. I have done it but it wasn't very fun.

Shane

STEAKUM

Look into a Moto-Tote rack - I've had one for 4 years and trasported everything from my Sons dirtbike to my motard and sportbike. I've traveled from NY to Beaver and back with no issues @ ~ 80mph ;) I get nervous with the bike in the open whic is why I went back to an enclosed trailer. Bike was secure at all times, I had a welder add 1/16" shims to make it rock solid. Overall, nothing but praise. :cheers:

rk97

respect_my_authorota;110985 wrote: http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler.htm

cheap, and comes with a chock, makes it helluva lot easier to load up the bike by yourself. been using almost 2 seasons.
I don't know why, but I would never trust one of those with anything heavier than a dirt bike...

Just seems like it shouldn't be strong enough. that's a long of tongue weight, and the tie-down points aren't very far out to the sides of the bike.

At $269, a small trailer is marginally more expensive, and you can use it for a lot more things...

BigBird

rk97;111173 wrote: I don't know why, but I would never trust one of those with anything heavier than a dirt bike...

Just seems like it shouldn't be strong enough. that's a long of tongue weight, and the tie-down points aren't very far out to the sides of the bike.

At $269, a small trailer is marginally more expensive, and you can use it for a lot more things...
i would agree a trailer is a great idea, but if you can get a hitch mount carrier to work, it helps with EZ-Pass fees, since EZ-pass basically kills you with trailer fees vs no trailer

i too myself would like a versahaul and it got good reviews in cycle world, but my hitch can't handle it =(

machdw69

I've used the SMC600R from discount ramps for 2 years and it will weigh the back end down pretty good. I drilled my own hitch pin hole further out so i could push the carrier further in to my hitch as so the bike wasn't hanging as far out behind my vehicle. Check your vehicle owners manual and see what your hitch rating is for your vehicle. You should use a class IV with this which is rated for 1000lbs. If your truck or SUV is not rated for this then I would advise against it. By the way I carry mine around with my '96 Jeep. Just before buying this i installed new monroe sens a track shocks in the rear and in hind site i would've put on air shocks instead.

Good Luck!

rabbit

Definitely make sure you have a weight distributing hitch to carry something like that. Most full size pickups only have a 500lb tongue weight limit for weight carrying hitches. That will max out with just the weight of a bike.

machdw69

The class of the hitch your using should dictate tongue weight. (Common sense is needed here as you obviously wouldn't want to put 1000 lbs on the tongue of a Ford Ranger) My class IV is rated for 1000 lbs tongue weight. My carrier is 100 lbs and my R6 fully fueled is around 400 lbs. The SMC-600 Rampage carrier I have is rated to carry a 500 lb bike.

kbonigut

I have been using a similar hauler for mg gsxr750 for 2 + years and the thing is awesome, check out http://www.joehauler.com/camloc/camloc.shtml

The cam loc mechanism keeps the thing really solid on the hitch and I have never had an issue, only bummer is loading alone is totally impossible. But if you have a single bike the thing is perfect and you can store it upright with no space in your garage taken up.

pajixxer

Brad Burns
Control Rider
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIRT-BIKE-CARRIER-TRAILER-HAULER-RACK-RAMP-TILTING-LD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5354fc49QQitemZ250506181705QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

23427_774546790119_25827772_43365109_858542_n.jpg

I went to njmp from pittsburgh and back, and a trip to beaverun with no problems. Cheapest ive found and is built pretty well. The tilt and wheel chock makes it easy to load by yourself.